Author Topic: Charleston and Seattle Zoners  (Read 5883 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Charleston and Seattle Zoners
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
I'm finally going to be moving, and I have two possibilities.  I might go back to Seattle after a twenty year absence.  I have a lot of friends out there.  The other option is Charleston, where I might get a job at MUSC.
For the Seattle Zoners:  is there EVER decent paddling weather out there?  Decent for me would mean not having to wear a wetsuit (I'm a thin-blooded southerner).  What can I expect, for both SUP and kayaking?
For the Charleston Zoners:  can you advise me on inexpensive yet safe areas to live?  I would be an ED Tech, which is a good job but low-income.  I will probably need to share a space, but I don't know anything about Charleston neighborhoods.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Charleston and Seattle Zoners
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
For Seattle, if you're talking SUP surfing or downwinding, no, you always need a wetsuit. For flat water paddling I never wear a wetsuit year round. In the winter I just wear cross country ski wear.

Rich
Rich

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
+1  to Rich's comments. I confess there's a two month winter window where the weather 'disincentivizes'  my getting out and paddling, but other than that it's great in-city paddling. As you know.
Jobwise, charter schools are just being implemented here, if that expands your opportunities. 

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
Thank you for your replies!  Is Lake Union safe to paddle in?  Meaning...is it safe to fall in to Lake Union?  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:54:54 PM by spirit4earth »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »
If you haven't lived in Seattle for 20 years, and are basing your impressions of it on what it was like then, falling into Lake Union will be the least of your problems.  If you want an affordable place to live in Seattle, Charleston might be a good place to look.  Or Everett.  Or Puyallup.

Paddling and falling into Lake Union is safe.  But I don't know if you can beat Lake Washington on a nice summer as a perfect paddling or swimming location.  Sound is always cold.  Lakes are per Rich's comment, and perfect in summer.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »
If you haven't lived in Seattle for 20 years, and are basing your impressions of it on what it was like then, falling into Lake Union will be the least of your problems.  If you want an affordable place to live in Seattle, Charleston might be a good place to look.  Or Everett.  Or Puyallup.

Paddling and falling into Lake Union is safe.  But I don't know if you can beat Lake Washington on a nice summer as a perfect paddling or swimming location.  Sound is always cold.  Lakes are per Rich's comment, and perfect in summer.

Lol!  I know there are a host of other challenges to living out there these days!  If I go out there, I'm not hauling my relatively small amount of stuff with me.  It can safely sit in a North Carolina storage unit until I'm sure I can handle the new Seattle!

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
A lot of the MUSC students live on James Island.  Quick shot to Med U or Folly Beach.  My paddling buddy, who is generally considered a dumbass, bought a little house in Hanahan years ago, cheap enough so he and his wife could handle it on one paycheck.   Now that he had a stroke and can't work, he looks pretty smart.  The barrier islands are probably too pricey.  I haven't really been involved in the housing market since 1990 or so.  You should probably browse Craig's List to  get some current prices.  Spend a weekend here if you're offered that  job. 

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
Ditto on what IOPsailor said - good group of us at Folly, and I live on James Island which is close to MUSC and to Folly, great location. There are apartments popping up everywhere but they are on the expensive side. You may be able to find an older house and some roommates on James Island or downtown that's relatively inexpensive.

I'm not sure on the rental market, I bought 3 years ago. Let me know if you have any other questions.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Thank you!  James Island seems like a real possibility for a house share.  I have my initial phone interview for MUSC tomorrow, but alot will ride on what the schedule is.  "Rotating" won't work for me!

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Here is my non paddling answer:  If cost of housing is a factor go to SC.  Cost of housing in Seattle is among highest in the US.  Think what you could with all that extra cash.  Then just visit Seattle for a Couple weeks in August.  If money don't matter, come to Seattle and go to Hawaii every winter. 

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

Although Seattle is a fun place right now because of all that's going on.
Sucks that decisions that we might be happiest with are often the more expensive.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

Although Seattle is a fun place right now because of all that's going on.
Sucks that decisions that we might be happiest with are often the more expensive.
So true!

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »
This winter in Seattle/PNW has been the worst weather wise in 32 years. If it hasn't been raining it has been cold. There has been like 4 sunny days since October, and those had a high of 25 degrees.

I would definitely recommend a visit to see if you like the place since your hiatus. Not a visit in August either. August is pretty spectacular in the PNW. My work has caused me to travel to Seattle 1x per week the last few weeks and the traffic is shit. But I'm a country mouse, so maybe I am missing something. I think if you live close to work so that your commute is lessened, then it probably is okay.

I only SUP in the ocean, and it is wetsuit all year round. In the summer you can easily wear a 3/2, and even lose the booties some days.

Make paddleboarding great again!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
SUP Leave, that sounds really depressing.  Yuck.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »
Not to pile on Seattle, however:

Paddling is good if you don't mind 48 to 50 degree water, year round.  There aren't really any waves or swells, just wind chop and ferry wakes.  Yes people surf ferry wakes.  The gorge, of course, is a short 3 hour ride, if you have a place to stay.  The coast is a few hours away, but good surfing spots are few and far between. 

Again, the housing situation is absurd.  And the homeless live everywhere, in big filthy camps.  Few weeks ago, a guy ran off I 5 and ran over a homeless man in his tent, killing him.  He was in one of the bigger homeless camps, just off I5 and ironically, next to BMW of Seattle.  Near The REI flagship store, one city block is not walkable because of hostile homeless people. 

On the other hand, if you have giant gauges in your ears, tattoos on your face, and reek of marijuana no one will notice you.  A local radio guy was reminiscing about his boyhood in Seattle recently, and spoke of the pleasant smells of the city.  He said it now smells like urine and pot, which is pretty much true.  The intent of the legalization of marijuana was to raise money thru taxation (the entire state is completely broke) so people could get high at home, but the result is the smell of skunks in every city park, and people driving around smoking pot in their cars.  If that's what you want to do, then Seattle is for you.  And the city is getting ready to open shooting houses, for junkies, with nurses there to bring you back if you overdose, your tax dollars at work. 

Just yesterday a survey was published ranking Seattle near the bottom, ranked by tourists.  The main complaints were surly wait staff (think NY in the 1980s) and the filth.  Someone commented about how it could possible be so dirty when it rains all the time.  The local hipsters have made it hip to be rude. 

Some people like all that, and I'm sure they will retort here.  Not for me, though.

And then there the weather ....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal