Author Topic: surf mat v1  (Read 6970 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
surf mat v1
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
It's a good thing I don't live closer to the water, I might build less.

That's a good wife who will help you mock up mat templates in paper.

This one will take a bit. Surffoils, I'll add this to your thread on the other site too.

Got some nice camo fabric that I hope holds up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: surf mat v1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »
I assume you already know that Wardog sells bitchin' surf mats for reasonable bucks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
I assume you already know that Wardog sells bitchin' surf mats for reasonable bucks.

I've been around a shop while a custom mat was being glued up...holy shmoly that's a cheap high!...;-)
I'd suggest wearing a respirator...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/09/mat-surfing.html

Tomo's dad, Mark, makes some pretty killer production surf mats...they work great, as shown by Tomo and himself...the custom 4th Gear Flyer surf mats that Paul Gross made for me are all keepers as well...my friend and long time mat surfer, Kenny Hughes, says flying along a wave on a "trash bag" should be illegal, it's too much fun...;-)

Lots of surf mat evolution over the last 50 years...I never go on a surf trip without one...
My wifey loves mat surfing...another fun watersport that we can do together...

http://supsports.com/shop/gear/krypt-surf-mat/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
Oh crap.... I have to get one of these. The sight of a surf mat brings back SO many warm fuzzy memories. Was my first ocean addiction. From the time I could barely stand, my pop, very old school, seasoned sailor, unreal bodysurfer, now very missed, would throw me on his back on a surf mat and sneak into every micro-barrel he could. He then turned me loose in the shore pound at Corona Del Mar and let me go at it. All. Day. Long. Until I was literally purple and cramping with hypothermia. I still have a clear picture of the sun going down, my mother calling me in from the shoreline, "Time to go home!" Me... pretending I didn't see or hear her..... very carefully looking only out to sea, milking every last wave I could.  My Pop then swimming out to get me with a poorly concealed, empathetic smirk. "Alright buddy, wrap it up. Take the next one to the sand." Next Christmas I got a pair of Voit Duck Feet and it was all over.  Thanks Pop... the ocean has been the healthiest gift / vice imaginable for an over energetic A.D.H.D. kid, now adult.

And thanks to SUPsurf for the post / bringing that all back.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
Must be a combo of SUPSports and SurfCowboy. Nice memory though All Wet. My Dad was a fine swimmer too, and most family vacation days were at the beach, where we'd be in the water every possible moment. We called the onset of hypothermia "getting used to the water" as in "It's not cold once you get used to it".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:02:54 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »
The last surf mat I was on was when I was 10 years old. That was 57 years ago. Seeing all of those actions photos brought back pleasant memories for me.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
Wow. First wave at Nanakuli Beach on a mat 1951..
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:12:55 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »
Yeah, I think I need one too. Dog, looks like you're out of stock, are you getting more?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
Yeah, I think I need one too. Dog, looks like you're out of stock, are you getting more?

Inventory level fixed...we go thru them pretty fast...back up travel wave catching accessory...you are good to go, now...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »
Must always wear at least a tee shirt, those in the know, know why.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
Oh crap.... I have to get one of these. The sight of a surf mat brings back SO many warm fuzzy memories. Was my first ocean addiction. From the time I could barely stand, my pop, very old school, seasoned sailor, unreal bodysurfer, now very missed, would throw me on his back on a surf mat and sneak into every micro-barrel he could. He then turned me loose in the shore pound at Corona Del Mar and let me go at it. All. Day. Long. Until I was literally purple and cramping with hypothermia. I still have a clear picture of the sun going down, my mother calling me in from the shoreline, "Time to go home!" Me... pretending I didn't see or hear her..... very carefully looking only out to sea, milking every last wave I could.  My Pop then swimming out to get me with a poorly concealed, empathetic smirk. "Alright buddy, wrap it up. Take the next one to the sand." Next Christmas I got a pair of Voit Duck Feet and it was all over.  Thanks Pop... the ocean has been the healthiest gift / vice imaginable for an over energetic A.D.H.D. kid, now adult.

And thanks to SUPsurf for the post / bringing that all back.

No worries...how about the surf mat ripping going on back in '65?!?!

https://youtu.be/FEQSLwL2XJw

Tomo...new generation mats designed by his dad...

https://youtu.be/_UVrIa2ukS4

...and of course, my inspiration George Greenough with Paul Gross...clipped from the 1980 surf classic Fantasea...

https://youtu.be/RSx78iP4w6A

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »

Inventory level fixed...we go thru them pretty fast...back up travel wave catching accessory...you are good to go, now...

Cool, looking forward to playing with this.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
oh man , glad to kick this off.

You know the deal Pono, I'm just goofing off and learning stuff. You gotta build one of everything just to see if it's a pain. ;)

Probably end up with a nice one from war dog before long. But yeah, that glue, crazy. Outside and with a mask or else I'll be on the news, naked in the streets.

The travel thing is exactly what I'm thinking. Wrap my snorkel gear in it and be ready to rock.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
So yeah, cowboy, you just cost6 me about 300 bucks, but that's a good thing. I'll bring it with me next time I'm in SoCal and we'll go get hurt.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 01:10:25 AM »
Oh yeah- thank you too cowboy.

Annnnnd... SUPsports doubles down on epic nostalgia w/ Greenough ripping it on a surf mat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal