Author Topic: Best Epoxy for strength and fumes  (Read 6495 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Best Epoxy for strength and fumes
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
I am gonna be using a room in my basement. I'm looking for opinions and experiences using Epoxy. How much venting will I need, or is it a required with Bio Resigns or is a respirator enough? Resin Research vs. Entrophy Super Sap, or ?
Thanks for your feedback!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Epoxy for strength and fumes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
There's not much in the way of fumes from epoxy unless you heat it. Epoxy fumes are not particularly irritating, but you can develop a sensitivity to it, which seems to be genetic, like everything else. Some people in the boating industry have virtually bathed in the stuff since the 50's with no apparent issue, while other get some on the skin and break into a massive and impressive rash, complete with big, ugly pustules. But if you work in the basement you won't smell it upstairs. You probably won't even smell it in the basement, but wear a respirator anyway. I'm so used to having my respirator on in my shop that sometimes when I don't have it on I think there's something wrong. No, I don't need to wear a respirator to use the computer--though sometimes it might help.

I like RR, but you'll come to like whatever you use the most and learn to trust. With RR you can be a little off with the ratio and it still works. Don't try that with West. Haven't tried Super Sap, but the spec sheet is impressive.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:26:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:37:20 PM »
Even when doing whole boards? I was wondering a bit about that myself. I'm itching to get the new garage/shop setup so I can do that board and was wondering along the same lines.  On a side note i wear a respirator all the time now too. Ever since milling the lyptus for your gate brought on an asthma attack. I was always forgetting before that....stupid for sure but never again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:39:25 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
I'm sure someone will say I'm nuts, but in my experience, epoxy below 90 degrees has not much in the way of fumes. Heat it to the point that it's warm and it will gag you, but before that, there isn't much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
RR has been pretty foolproof for me too.  And it helps to have a supplier just minutes away.  Greenlight Surf, in Manasquan NJ (shameless plug).

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
RR good stuff. I wear a mask indoors (garage) but outside I don't even bother.

One note on sensitivity, there also seems to be a connection to using acetone. DO NOT USE ACETONE with epoxy. Alcohol cleans it up fine or better yet, use disposable stuff.

Other than that, there are tons of guys who glass indoors with no hassle. If you have a window, throw a fan in it and you'll be fine.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:31:00 AM »
Bio doesn't help. It's the hardener that has the bad stuff. Hardeners are the same in bio and non bio.

Greenroom is known to be the most idiot proof epoxy.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 04:05:34 AM »
I have tried a lot of different surf epoxys but I have yet to find one that beats RR in the easy it works and sands even though its more expensive I will pay the extra any day. The only one I haven't tried is green room as its not available in the uk without special order from the us.

The best and easiest thing for cleaning epoxy is vinegar or citrus cleaner although it does make you smell a little like you have had fish n chips.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:38:05 AM »

I built a kayak with West System epoxy in my basement, as well as many other projects and I could definitely smell it upstairs.

The fumes seem to affect my lungs too. I think I'm sensitive to it so I avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible. I tried respirators but they didn't work that great. Couldn't afford a nice one. I usually just lay down the resin and get the heck out of there.

Ultimately, I think some sort of exhaust system would be the best way to clear out the fumes.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:45:29 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:51 AM »
Thanks guys for the input!
All tips are appreciated 🤙🏼

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
Beware of cumulative damage... I was in the boat business in the 70's... even ran a chopper shooting decks for OMC Corp after high school. I got out the plants going into sales. One of the guys I have followed was a Brit who was a supervisor/master carpenter in our plant in Cape Breton.  He's got the equivalent of Black Lung.  Pneumonia will be his friend.  I'm a little wheezy, but I expect that was from 30yrs of cigarettes.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
I like WEST system epoxy a lot, works well, and wets out quickly, but it seems more volatile and more finicky about proportions--I can smell west epoxy, though it doesn't bother me. I generally use a scale to measure. When my hardener pump broke I weighed for proportions according to their directions (I think it was 1.8-1) but it never set up. Got a new hardener pump and it works fine, so I'd say use the pumps if you choose West.

Before I did vacuum bagging with glass I used a vacuum system to impregnate wood with WEST epoxy. I tried to substitute stuff I had for WEST, but it stayed close to the surface, didn't disappear like the WEST stuff did. I don't notice a big difference in viscosity, but apparently there is something else going on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:50:12 PM by PonoBill »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
RR is the least 'smelly' (without Add F) compared to Greenroom Old#7 and some others I have tried.
But I have yet to meet an epoxy I didn't like...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
Funny thing is that my epoxy scale is a WEST.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »
Funny thing is that my epoxy scale is a WEST.

I've been using the pumps all these years and wasting epoxy in the process. It never dawned on me to use a gram scale to weigh out small batches.

Thanks for the idea.  8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:38:55 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal