General > The Shape Shack

Best Epoxy for strength and fumes

(1/5) > >>

Fanman:
I am gonna be using a room in my basement. I'm looking for opinions and experiences using Epoxy. How much venting will I need, or is it a required with Bio Resigns or is a respirator enough? Resin Research vs. Entrophy Super Sap, or ?
Thanks for your feedback!

PonoBill:
There's not much in the way of fumes from epoxy unless you heat it. Epoxy fumes are not particularly irritating, but you can develop a sensitivity to it, which seems to be genetic, like everything else. Some people in the boating industry have virtually bathed in the stuff since the 50's with no apparent issue, while other get some on the skin and break into a massive and impressive rash, complete with big, ugly pustules. But if you work in the basement you won't smell it upstairs. You probably won't even smell it in the basement, but wear a respirator anyway. I'm so used to having my respirator on in my shop that sometimes when I don't have it on I think there's something wrong. No, I don't need to wear a respirator to use the computer--though sometimes it might help.

I like RR, but you'll come to like whatever you use the most and learn to trust. With RR you can be a little off with the ratio and it still works. Don't try that with West. Haven't tried Super Sap, but the spec sheet is impressive.

stoneaxe:
Even when doing whole boards? I was wondering a bit about that myself. I'm itching to get the new garage/shop setup so I can do that board and was wondering along the same lines.  On a side note i wear a respirator all the time now too. Ever since milling the lyptus for your gate brought on an asthma attack. I was always forgetting before that....stupid for sure but never again.

PonoBill:
I'm sure someone will say I'm nuts, but in my experience, epoxy below 90 degrees has not much in the way of fumes. Heat it to the point that it's warm and it will gag you, but before that, there isn't much.

Bean:
RR has been pretty foolproof for me too.  And it helps to have a supplier just minutes away.  Greenlight Surf, in Manasquan NJ (shameless plug).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version