Author Topic: So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...  (Read 15891 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
Nothing like shop talk that includes beer.

Maybe some CF crank arms, candy pedals and bike shoes, and some triathlon bars. OR! A drone landing pad, GoPro handle bar mounts, a beer holder and an ice chest. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
Or with a few modifications you can avoid the HR shuttle and have room for two;

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/amphibious-water-scooter

Or you could combine the board with this idea and make the walk too and from the water a lot easier. Avoid those nasty rocks at Viento;

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/u-s-navy-demonstrates-flying-platform

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
I would like to drop the guts of that in my 2012 Naish 17 Glide. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
I would like to drop the guts of that in my 2012 Naish 17 Glide.

YESSS! That's the eventual plan. I'm thinking one of the wideboy SIC F14's with a somewhat rear set Hobie Mirage Drive and elliptical arms so you can get your core into it. I pedaled the thing for a half hour at Nichols today despite the rain and cold, gray weather. A tubby 12' SUP and it's the fastest I've ever gone on in flatwater on a SUP.  It's a major league workout--my legs are sore. I need the elliptical bars to more efficiently engage, but jeezus this thing is fast. I need to put my speedcoach on it, but I'd guess from the bow wave shoving over the nose at full tilt that it's well over 6 mph, maybe seven.

Talldude--cooler for sure, though that might work against the fitness aspect.

Starman--could I wear a bowler?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:31:39 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
I think this thing is going to ROCK on a downwinder.  A walker frame on a SUP. Perfect.

You're going around the bend partner

You'd love this thing. It's surprising.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:14 AM »
You take off on a glide and what happens with those flippers underneath?  I don't think it'll round up, it'll lift up like a foil and over you go.  My son has a 2 man kayak with those flippers.  We did it on Lake Tahoe so I'm kinda experienced.  I like the guy in sweats in this video.  He looks like some retiree from Naples Florida. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=125&v=QCv1MeL0Cyo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 04:50:30 AM »
One video I could find that might be of interest to this topic thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow28JhJKFTQ
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:29 AM »
You take off on a glide and what happens with those flippers underneath?  I don't think it'll round up, it'll lift up like a foil and over you go.  My son has a 2 man kayak with those flippers.  We did it on Lake Tahoe so I'm kinda experienced.  I like the guy in sweats in this video.  He looks like some retiree from Naples Florida. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=125&v=QCv1MeL0Cyo

You can either tuck them more or less flat against the bottom of the board or step off the pedals and let them do whatever (I suspect they'd go flat). If they're straight up and down (both flippers centered) they'd be like a big centerboard, which would probably make the board round up. I don't know what they'll do if they're flat. One mod I might make if (when) I add these to a DW board might be recesses to get the fins flat to the bottom and a bungee or spring to pull them flat if you step off the pedals. That's what I did with my kayak version (AI) to keep the flippers from grounding when I was coming to the beach.

The most impressive things about the drive are acceleration and speed. Acceleration is instantaneous, not like paddling. You step down and the board is going at what must be close to hull speed with the first shove. I think the smooth motion will be good for my knees.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:48:59 AM by PonoBill »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
Have fun stepping off the pedals to get into surf stance and getting back on the pedals

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
Not a problem, tried it yesterday. If you lift one foot off the pedals the other drops to board level. And it's a rudder board, so I probably won't have to move as much. I think the elliptical-style handles will help a lot, though they won't offer the stability of the cruiser bars. I didn't appreciate before that putting your weight on the bars would add so much stability. Should have realized that the weight is transferred to the middle of the board.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
We're going to have to get you a new pair of those Navy issue glasses and that hat you tried on out here. Those should match your new sense of cool....... ;)....of course you know I'm going to have to try it when I finally get out there.... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
Took it out again today in between rainstorms. I don't want to get wet. Gotta say, double vision doesn't do much for stability. Good thing it's pretty hard to fall off that thing or I would have been swimming. I hate to think what my other boards are going to be like. This thing needs to clear up. .

I took the PaddleCoach along. Interesting result. the stroke counter says the cadence is from 150 to 170. Those flippers feel like smooth, constant acceleration, but obviously, they aren't. Two strokes took me from 0 to 3.6-7 MPH. A steady pace is 4.5, and I can sprint easily to 5.5 and touch 6mph. Pretty impressive for a tubby 12' board. The bow wave is vicious.

Steering is a bit too peppy. It takes a light touch to avoid doing much harder turns than expected. like instant 90 degree turns with accompanying hard rolls. I didn't fall, didn't really come close, but jeez.

I think that for the reason I got this thing--exercise that doesn't mean gym time--it's going to be great. I've been back for a half hour and I'm still breathing hard. It's like a short stroke stair stepper. Holding 5.5 for a few hundred yards is a serious workout.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »
This afternoon I pedaled the Hobie to Wells Island and back. Anyone who is looking at the Mirage drive as a lower-effort water toy is going to be hugely disappointed. I basically drove a stair-stepper for four miles, and it felt like it.

I discovered something very strange. This thing is faster against a light current than with it. I was so certain I was just nuts that I did six loops, trying my hardest to hold the same cadence both ways. It's faster against the current. Not a tiny bit faster, about 12 percent faster in four tests fairly careful tests-- about 4.1 with the current for a steady, slow pace and 4.6 against the current  I don't know what the current speed is close to shore between the hook and the event center is right now. Probably one or two MPH.

I have a theory, see if this makes sense. The stair stepping isn't very much about pressing hard on the pedals--it's lifting your weight to the requisite height and straight-legging the pedal down. It's hard to feel any difference in resistance other than to say it feels like there's not enough resistance when I'm going with the current, and there might be a little more resistance going into the current.

With the current, the effective speed and related lift of water across the flipper foil is lower than against the current. The foil can generate more lift with that higher speed from the same cadence, but the higher lift means more drag.  Obviously the higher drag takes more energy, but it's hard to feel it because of the nature of the stair-stepper system. Just as obviously, at some higher current speed the greater efficiency is going to be overcome and the thing will go slower.

Anyway, that's my guess.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »
Anything to get on the water and get some exercise is great. I bet you could haul ass if it was mounted on a narrower unlimited.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »
Anything to get on the water and get some exercise is great. I bet you could haul ass if it was mounted on a narrower unlimited.

I hit 7mph on a 12' today. So yeah.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal