Author Topic: Surfski pics  (Read 3110 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfski pics
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »
These are not on a downwind but in the surf where I'm learning how the ski behaves at speed.  I'm much more relaxed in the surf and more willing to accept falling out than out in the open water.  But surfing anything more than small bumps or barely breaking waves is definitely beyond my ability.  So this day I was out with the top foilers riding as far as they do but without the maneuverability they own. 

I don't like surprises so surfing is great simulation for some things that might happen on a downwinder.  For instance the care you have with the paddle.  I've been yanked out of the ski by tapping the wrong edge of the wing blade for balance or steering.  Also important is learning the limitations for steering sensitivities.  Very fortunate to have La Perouse mentor me with some details I'm stoked to learn.

Have done several southside downwinders now (even one yesterday) but not yet for a Maliko.  Probably waiting for winter surf hazards to subside as the visual far ahead is reduced while sitting low in the ski.  But I'm excited to do it.  I'm a little stiff in my motion and it seems like I shoulda learned this when I was younger but so far so good.  Hopefully I can carve off my gut to some degree.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Surfski pics
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that before my back started killing me. Even with back support I can't take sitting in kayaks.

It sure looks fast though.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
I had to get rid of my 2004 SPTW yak last Spring of 2015 because of my bad lower back. I still envy those older people who can paddle their yaks and surf skis without suffering any back problems.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that before my back started killing me. Even with back support I can't take sitting in kayaks.

I also figured that the ski would do my back in but while the OC-1 did, the ski doesn't.  Posture is important and visualizing posture is reminding me to sit upright at my desk while on the computer doing the 'Zone'.  I also make a token effort towards a yoga session in the morning.  I think the key is ab work.  I've still got gut flab but can do two minutes of plank.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

I also figured that the ski would do my back in but while the OC-1 did, the ski doesn't.  Posture is important and visualizing posture is reminding me to sit upright at my desk while on the computer doing the 'Zone'.  I also make a token effort towards a yoga session in the morning.  I think the key is ab work.  I've still got gut flab but can do two minutes of plank.

Interesting that the ski doesn't bother you as much even with no back support. I'd love to try one just to see what it's like.

Computer sitting was getting to me and last month I raised my desk and now I stand when working at the computer. It's much better. Just like on a paddleboard, I can stand for hours no problem but sitting gets to me after a while. You should try it if you haven't already.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

chucktheskiffie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
I was on one of these and used to surf it down at our local long-wave spot - a novelty wave in Sydney...

Then i discovered SUP and pretty much put the ski in mothballs.  Its only recently after doing a hydrothon (swim, ski and run) for shits and giggles that i have started with it again... although my greater understanding of water and DW now because of SUP means i could probably take on some pretty big DW conditions now... could be an interesting winter!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
I was on one of these and used to surf it down at our local long-wave spot - a novelty wave in Sydney...

Then i discovered SUP and pretty much put the ski in mothballs.  Its only recently after doing a hydrothon (swim, ski and run) for shits and giggles that i have started with it again... although my greater understanding of water and DW now because of SUP means i could probably take on some pretty big DW conditions now... could be an interesting winter!

I got the ski for lighter conditions because like you say, SUP means we can take on pretty big conditions.  I have 14 years on an SUP under my belt and have seen some monstrous stuff but today I took the ski out for my first abbreviated run on the north shore, starting not from Maliko but only a few miles from Kahului harbor.  There was a little surf and I managed to get out through a big channel we have to gain the outside line. 

While I've done several downwinders off south Maui in the ski, it was vastly different being in the ski with big water.  Didn't fall out of the boat but I was breathing hard and not relaxed.  Fortunately it was over quick and I was pumped inside the relatively serene cross winds inside the harbor.  I was going to wait on the north shore until summer when there's no surf but couldn't curb my enthusiasm.

I'm sure my SUP will remain my go to option on big days.  I don't like being scared.

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
Speaking of big stuff on a surfski....pics from a 4 day paddle down the South African coast as paddlers face huge surf coming in at one of the stops. Thats a double ski in the first pic.

L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 10:08:26 AM »
Great pics.  I have a special type of respect for ski paddlers from the southern hemisphere.  The conditions they train and race in are much tougher than here on Maui.  Side on wind, big seas, surf, shore pound etc. 

When I switched to ski from outrigger here on Maui, it was a real eye opener.  I got thrashed in a ski, in conditions that I thought were 'easy' or 'safe' on an outrigger.   That steered me into a big safety mode.  The ski forums have a wealth of great ideas.  Those guys have their act together. 

I've seen an old ski guy here do the big swim, get in the meat wagon and go to the hospital with hypothermia.  No bright colors, no pfd etc.  The helicopter was searching, flying right over him - couldn't see him. 

I'll pass on that idea.  I may not look "cool" like the big dogs here, but that's ok, I can't paddle like them either.  I'd rather look like a ski paddler from down under.

Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal