Stand Up Paddle > Downwind and Racing

Surfski pics

(1/2) > >>

headmount:
These are not on a downwind but in the surf where I'm learning how the ski behaves at speed.  I'm much more relaxed in the surf and more willing to accept falling out than out in the open water.  But surfing anything more than small bumps or barely breaking waves is definitely beyond my ability.  So this day I was out with the top foilers riding as far as they do but without the maneuverability they own. 

I don't like surprises so surfing is great simulation for some things that might happen on a downwinder.  For instance the care you have with the paddle.  I've been yanked out of the ski by tapping the wrong edge of the wing blade for balance or steering.  Also important is learning the limitations for steering sensitivities.  Very fortunate to have La Perouse mentor me with some details I'm stoked to learn.

Have done several southside downwinders now (even one yesterday) but not yet for a Maliko.  Probably waiting for winter surf hazards to subside as the visual far ahead is reduced while sitting low in the ski.  But I'm excited to do it.  I'm a little stiff in my motion and it seems like I shoulda learned this when I was younger but so far so good.  Hopefully I can carve off my gut to some degree.

Badger:
I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that before my back started killing me. Even with back support I can't take sitting in kayaks.

It sure looks fast though.

Night Wing:
I had to get rid of my 2004 SPTW yak last Spring of 2015 because of my bad lower back. I still envy those older people who can paddle their yaks and surf skis without suffering any back problems.

headmount:

--- Quote from: Badger on March 18, 2017, 12:30:41 PM ---I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that before my back started killing me. Even with back support I can't take sitting in kayaks.

--- End quote ---

I also figured that the ski would do my back in but while the OC-1 did, the ski doesn't.  Posture is important and visualizing posture is reminding me to sit upright at my desk while on the computer doing the 'Zone'.  I also make a token effort towards a yoga session in the morning.  I think the key is ab work.  I've still got gut flab but can do two minutes of plank.

Badger:

--- Quote from: headmount on March 18, 2017, 01:12:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Badger on March 18, 2017, 12:30:41 PM ---I wouldn't last 20 minutes in that before my back started killing me. Even with back support I can't take sitting in kayaks.

--- End quote ---

I also figured that the ski would do my back in but while the OC-1 did, the ski doesn't.  Posture is important and visualizing posture is reminding me to sit upright at my desk while on the computer doing the 'Zone'.  I also make a token effort towards a yoga session in the morning.  I think the key is ab work.  I've still got gut flab but can do two minutes of plank.

--- End quote ---

Interesting that the ski doesn't bother you as much even with no back support. I'd love to try one just to see what it's like.

Computer sitting was getting to me and last month I raised my desk and now I stand when working at the computer. It's much better. Just like on a paddleboard, I can stand for hours no problem but sitting gets to me after a while. You should try it if you haven't already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version