Author Topic: Red Paddle Co Elite 14' 2017 for big guy  (Read 4874 times)

jonasmin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Red Paddle Co Elite 14' 2017 for big guy
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:03 PM »
Hi, i am a quite bit guy (6'3" and 120kg (265 pounds)). I am looking for an inflatable race board. For now i have been a fan of Red Paddle Co Boards and at the moment i have Sport 12'6", but i want a longer, narrower and faster board. However i do not have an opportunity to test Elite 14', because there are none of them at the moment in the country i live.

I would like to ask your oppinion, if that board would be ok for me? As i read online, i found suggestions, that this board is recommended for people under 6' tall and under 90kg of weight. Would my height and weight be an issue?
Sroka Malibu 10'3"
Red Paddle Co Sport 12'6"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Red Paddle Co Elite 14' 2017 for big guy
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:10 AM »
The Short answer IMO is NO. Not for you.
I've riding this board for few months now and it is a great board,
But... and it's a big but, unless you're going to ride it on glassy lake
conditions and you have a super great balance to boot, you're going to have
tough time with it.

I'm 5'8 @175 and this board gives me all I can handle when I'm going
on open water mild conditions.

You can read my extensive review here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30828.0.html

Including photos & videos.

I would look at the 14'0" RACE MSL. It's a pretty fast board as well and I think
you might be able to handle it. all depends on the conditions your aiming for.
in progress...

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:11:43 AM »
Depending on your water conditions, but I would likely steer you towards the 14" Race also.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

jonasmin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »
100% of the time i am paddling in flatwater (rivers, lakes) in all conditions. Most of the time i am just touring, but recently i found myself wanting to race (already participated in few races). Currently i have Red Paddle Co Sport 12'6", which is perfect for my touring, but for racing i would like something 14" and narrower.

After reading comments and review of elite board, i know think that Red Paddle Co would be better for me. Theres is only one concern for me - weight. I weight as much as red declares the maximum weight of the paddler. Would it be an issue? With sport i have no problem, because i still have 30kg to reach the maximum weight, and with Race (or elite) i would would exactly the maximum. Of course, at the moment i am working on losing some weight.
Sroka Malibu 10'3"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
With the 14 Race you're still within their guideline as far as weight.
If you're worried about sinking that board, you're not even close.
in progress...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
I don't have any experience with the boards so nothing to add there.  I'm slightly larger than you and I've always found most manufacturers weight recommendations pretty conservative. If you are at the upper weight limit for a board it will likely be fine with time on water. And once you start focusing on racing and wanting to get faster the easiest way to do that will be to lose weight and more training will help it happen.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP_pauly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
I am pretty close to your size and I paddle the Red Paddle 12'6" Race board and have no problems with it.  I have not tried the 14' Elite but I tried the 12'6" Elite and it was ok. I would not paddle it in anything but calm waters however.
14' Tahoe Zephyr
12'6" Red Paddle Co Explorer
12'6" Red Paddle Co Race

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »

After reading comments and review of elite board, i know think that Red Paddle Co would be better for me. Theres is only one concern for me - weight. I weight as much as red declares the maximum weight of the paddler. Would it be an issue? With sport i have no problem, because i still have 30kg to reach the maximum weight, and with Race (or elite) i would would exactly the maximum. Of course, at the moment i am working on losing some weight.

My paperwork show both the 14' Elite and Race with the same 265lbs limit. I would imagine it'd be more like 280-300lbs.
If you want the out and out fastest, the Elite. However the Race may be a better option to transition into and improve your racing level and fitness without having to worry about balancing all the time.
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
I paddle my 14" 2015 Race  - I like it on my flat lakes and streams when I want to go faster than my 12'6" x30" Blue Planet.

I'm 285 (130kg) (and yes working on losing that weight :D  -so far, I'm just a much faster fat guy on the treadmill)

I'm unstable with side-on boat wakes - almost always will toss me in the drink.

But I like the board. Fairly stable while paddling - for sure a leg/balance workout in mild chop - but it's faster.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:18:32 PM by deepmud »

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
Take a look at the Imagine Connector (14 ft.) well built, stable for the width and can handle your weight.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
2015 14" Elite = 2017 14" Race. Aside from the MSL updates and a few tweaks, the outline and shape are much the same.

2017 14" Race write up: https://greenwatersports.com/8905/review-of-the-2017-red-paddle-co-14-race-inflatable-paddle-board
Julian

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
I did a race on the 14x25 RedPaddleCo Elite in January. I'm not sure if it was the 2016 or the 2017 model. I posted my impressions here:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2017/01/sup-race-report-cgt-superlap-series.html

I am much lighter than the original poster (75 kg) and I usually race a 14x23 hard board (Riviera RP). The 14x25 Elite was stable and floaty enough for me, but it was actually more tippy than I expected, especially during buoy turns. Compared to other 14x25 boards, I would say the stability of the Elite is average at best- maybe below average. I think the rounded rails and narrow tail reduce the stability. I would be hesitant to recommend it to someone over 90 kg, and for 120 kg I would definitely recommend a wider board.

The speed was OK, but significantly less than a hard 14' board. In these local races I usually win the 14' class, but with the inflatable I was about 4% slower, and had to dig deep just to beat the lead 12'6 board by 1 second. My conclusion is that unless I was racing only against other inflatables, an inflatable raceboard would be a very significant handicap.   
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »

I am much lighter than the original poster (75 kg) and I usually race a 14x23 hard board (Riviera RP). The 14x25 Elite was stable and floaty enough for me, but it was actually more tippy than I expected, especially during buoy turns. Compared to other 14x25 boards, I would say the stability of the Elite is average at best- maybe below average. I think the rounded rails and narrow tail reduce the stability. I would be hesitant to recommend it to someone over 90 kg, and for 120 kg I would definitely recommend a wider board.

^ That’s a very good answer, Jonas.

You should try the board. No one but you knows how you will get on with it.

Give it time, there still is some stuff we can learn.

Inflatables are so easy to try, they are so easy to ship. Either try a demo board in a country near you, or make a trial-buy deal with whoever you purchase from.

Only way you’ll know.

jonasmin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Thank you for all comments, i made my decision now. Las summer i tried and really liked Red Paddle Co Elite 14', which practically is the same as this year Red Paddle Co Race 14'. Because i am still going to do a lot of touring, i decided (with your help), that Race will be better option for me. I already ordered it, and now am waiting :)
Sroka Malibu 10'3"

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal