Author Topic: I want to ride a "true" shortboard...advice  (Read 7295 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: I want to ride a "true" shortboard...advice
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »
Great thread. I frequently switch back and forth between surf craft. Sometimes all over the course of one day.

I am 6-2, 220# and like Old School above  - have to beat waves into submission to catch them (that's a great line btw). The shorter you go the better you have to be at reading waves and picking your spot, as well as the pop up. I found that I suck at shortboard surfing and am passable on my longboard. Sure I can catch them if I am way inside using the curl to get that last push, but catching them otherwise on a shortboard is a chore (doesn't happen) and then unless the wave has some power- I sink. However, I ran across a McCoy Nugget on Craigslist and snapped it up. This thing has a big, wide, ass and it is so much more forgiving. Basically a lot of foam under your hips when laying down, and under your back foot when standing up. The difference is if you are slightly off the peak, you still get the benefit of getting the tail of the board high on the wave (doesn't sink) and can take off really easy.

Riding the board is different than a shortboard though. Because of the wide tail, there is sort of a pivot point right in front of the fins. If you don't get your foot on it, the thing goes really slow, but once you roll forward over it, the thing flies.

Make paddleboarding great again!

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »
I am going to have the chance to have a go on a 5'10 Plunder, 6'0 Hypto and a 6'4 Plunder at the end of the month.

Plunder looks like a fun board.  I'd be interested to hear how you like the 5-10 Plunder vs 6-0 Hypto.    6-4 Plunder might be the way to go for easier paddling and wave catching.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
Depending on the conditions and how I feel rolling out of bed, I switched daily from prone short to long and SUP short to long.  I'm 53 y.o., 5'8, 145 lbs. and with 40+ years surfing.  The prone quiver ranging from 5'8 to 6'1 and 28 liters to 42 liters (the 42 liters is the 6'0 Lost RV for when the waves are small but I don't to surf the longboard) and few 9'0 longboards by Stewart, Becker and Barahona.  The SUP boards ranging from 7'7x27 91L to 9'0x28 115L.

Shortboard surfing demands a good paddling technique to catch the wave (stroking with both arms and at the same time kicking with both feet) and timing the push off to stand up.  It also demands a proper duck diving technique to go under the white water while paddling out.  At your height and weight, you'd want a board with a bit more volume under the chest for ease of paddling and catching the wave.  Look at the 6'0 Lost RV (super summer fun board), 6'0 Lost V3 Rocket (an all around travel board).  Channel Island Mini and Fred Rubble are also good.

Life is all about having fun .... go out and chase the wave with the shortboard!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal