Author Topic: I want to ride a "true" shortboard...advice  (Read 7320 times)

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I want to ride a "true" shortboard...advice
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have been itching to do some regular surfing. I feel as though my SUP surfing will put me in a better position to learn quicker than someone who has never ridden or read waves. That said, I have no interest in longboarding...have gone and its just not me. I want to be much more aggressive on a wave. Thus why my main SUP is a 7'8 x 26.5. I am in good shape...go to the gym 4-6 days a week 5'10 175lb 42yrs young. All that said, am I trying to bite too much off going for a shortboard?? I was thinking about a Hypto Krypto. I think a 5'10 would be ideal but then again maybe a 6'0 to have a little more foam??

For those that SUP surf and "prone" surf could you please chime in.

I know most would say start with a big board and work your way down but does that apply to someone who has surfed  the past 5 years in everything from knee high slop to solid 15ft peelers?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:49:56 PM by SaltH2Opaddler »
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

supthecreek

Re: I want to ride a "true" shortboard...advice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
It's not SUP..... and no surfboards float you.
In my book, they are all the same.... you paddle into position, spin around, grab the nose,sink the tail and "pop" into the wave with a stroke or two.
Jump up and your off and running.
Get whatever board you want to ride and have a blast!

Only surprise will be when you realize that surfers are assholes to everyone.... not just SUPs  ;D

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »

Only surprise will be when you realize that surfers are assholes to everyone.... not just SUPs  ;D

This I know lol!!! I just want to get more water time...you know those days when it's peaky but too windy to make a SUP fun and I'd like to get good enough to log some time in the shade. Have gotten shacked on my SUP but never have made it out. lol!!! I froth when I watch video's of guys getting covered up and spit out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:13:47 PM by SaltH2Opaddler »
5'10
175 lbs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
I didn't do much shortboarding, but what for the little I did, I found the mental image of pushing the board under myself was helpful. Hard to describe, but on a longboard you pop to your feet and move to where you want to be on the board. On a shortboard You tuck the board under you into position, stuffing it into place as you drop down the face of the wave. I started shortboarding at 55, so I think you're good. After my first major shoulder surgery it was over.  Before that I was a bodysurfer, and then a windsurfer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
In the fall, I picked up a 5'10" Reviver, a groveler style shortboard from a local shaper, Davey Skye.  Very similar shape to a FireWire Sweet Potato.  For a 5'10", this board has lots of foam, approx 45 l.   The transition challenge for me, coming from a longboard back ground, is the pop up.  Popping up on a longboard is as easy as popping up on your hardwood floor at home, your legs glide along the board.   On a short board that does not happen, so that's an aspect you need to factor in.

BTW, at age 55 with problematic shoulders, I can empathize a little with you PB.  My return to shortboard surfing might be short lived.  Oh well, at least it doesn't take much garage space.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:20:36 PM by Bean »

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
I got back into shortboarding two years ago after riding a longboard for 15 years then for the past 5 years primarily SUP.  I wanted to surf with my boys at the beach breaks they surf down in SoCal.  So I bought a 6'2" 34 ltr board, that was tough but I was able to get up and go.  After a year I bought a 6'4" 22.5" wide at 43 ltrs and it is much more fun than the 6'2".  And I can duck dive it on big days, and after one hell of a work out, make it out to the line up when its big.  I still sup when I am alone, or surfing with my wife, but its great to be back on a shortboard.   A lot of work all around, but awesome. Go for it.  I have even taken my longboard out again and that is fun too, so don;t dismiss longboarding either.
For reference, 5'10" 182.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:55:51 AM »
I'll say what I say all the time.

Surfing's easy, catching's hard.

I've worked backwards from SUP and surf a short SUP. I found that what you say is correct, you can surf way better after SUP. The issue is catching and popping up for the reasons that have been stated. Lying in the water on something that doesn't float you, much further inside than you ever have and then having to pull something under you is pretty strange. Maybe you'll be fine. Borrow a few boards or rent, if you can, but the boards are cheap and I've found that an 8' wavestorm is pretty fun and turns like hell with a new fin on it, so I've stopped there for a year r so and am just now heading down to a little shorter. Also, boards are cheap and you can buy used and sell or swap as you progress easier than with SUP.

One note about being aggressive on a wave. The worst funboard at 7'6" is still going to kill any SUP ever made as far as turning. You'll see why guys are now trying to get down to a 24" width on their high performance SUP's. That's still a full 3" wider than the lamest funboard. You might find that you can get all you want with something in that range.

And a final not from my adventures. That paddle matters a lot too. Nothing funnier than seeing me drop in on a nice wave, set up for my bottom turn and fall flat on my side because I turned my surfboard like I would a SUP but had no paddle to catch me. Hilarious.

Took a while to get used to initiating a turn before leaning into it.

I can't recommend it enough, get out there and surf every kind of thing you can. It's all fun and you'll be fine. The good news is that your older SUP buddies probably have a garage full of boards to loan you that they don't use anymore.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:00:18 AM by surfcowboy »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »
I wish you a lot of luck. As a previous rider of shortboards I can't advise you on your backwards path.  Something to be said about overcoming the sup reflexes you have probably built up.

Start on your sup laying down getting used to popping up and turning without a paddle. Then some cheap wavestorm and if that's working move on to a shortboard.

If you get there you will love the newfound intimacy with the wave.  You're sunk down in the water waiting for the wave. You wait way inside which is fine because you can accomplish the joyous duck dive to get under what you need to.  And on takeoff you are seeing the changing face of the wave from close up.

These are all the things I miss on my sup. And as far as aggressive ripping goes,
Mo Freitas shows what's possible to strive for with a sup.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »
I think a 5'10 would be ideal but then again maybe a 6'0 to have a little more foam??

For a prone Hypto I'd go with the 6'0" for a little extra foam.

I'd also recommend you take a look having a custom 85-90L Hypto SUP built.  If you are an experienced surfer and paddler you'll be amazed at how it surfs while still being quite stable.    Dimensions would be around 6-8 x 27 x 4 at 85L.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
For versatility, I'd get a high performance fish from Griffin, Pavel, or DK. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
Hi,

Here is my 2 cents, I hope it helps.

I have been barreled on 9-6 longboards, and on wide thick fishes.  Prone boards are so relatively narrow compared to a sup that it changes everything and makes pulling in and making it out much easier.

Why not go with more volume?  It's hard to get barreled if you are not catching waves or doing headers over the falls.

Any shaper can blow up a performance board to give more paddling power.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
In the fall, I picked up a 5'10" Reviver, a groveler style shortboard from a local shaper, Davey Skye.  Very similar shape to a FireWire Sweet Potato.  For a 5'10", this board has lots of foam, approx 45 l.   The transition challenge for me, coming from a longboard back ground, is the pop up.  Popping up on a longboard is as easy as popping up on your hardwood floor at home, your legs glide along the board.   On a short board that does not happen, so that's an aspect you need to factor in.

BTW, at age 55 with problematic shoulders, I can empathize a little with you PB.  My return to shortboard surfing might be short lived.  Oh well, at least it doesn't take much garage space.

I did almost the same thing- Even almost got  board from Davey- but went with DCal down in Ocean City . (Have my eye on a Davey Longboard though- his tint work is amazing)

as has been said- the pop up is the problem.  and that is just  practice.  I definetly surf better coming from shortboard sup...but after long periods not surfing - I definetly get stale and miss pop ups....when i get stale on Sup I dont have any problem- i bounce right back

youll be amazed if you pay attention how many little foot correctlions you do on a sup when you drop in.  On a prone...you have one shot to get in that position on critcal waves....and i found i suck at that....always have. 

Its all muscle memory like golf....and i also suck at that!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Yes, Dave is a great guy to deal with and does some really nice work.  His shop is less than a mile away for me.

Muscle memory is right.  Unfortunately, my muscles don't remember much. ;D

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!!!

I am going to have the chance to have a go on a 5'10 Plunder, 6'0 Hypto and a 6'4 Plunder at the end of the month when I visit some friends. Hopefully there will be some waves. I am looking forward to the humbling experience.

For versatility, I'd get a high performance fish from Griffin, Pavel, or DK. 

They are good looking shapes and great shapers for sure but, not the shape I am after

Hi,

Here is my 2 cents, I hope it helps.

I have been barreled on 9-6 longboards, and on wide thick fishes.  Prone boards are so relatively narrow compared to a sup that it changes everything and makes pulling in and making it out much easier.

Why not go with more volume?  It's hard to get barreled if you are not catching waves or doing headers over the falls.

Any shaper can blow up a performance board to give more paddling power.

Not a bad idea and may be what I do in the long run but I can pick up a Hayden @ cost so it's hard to pass up that kind of deal. I am willing to put in the water time and work on my paddle strength. I only train to be a better SUP surfer and hopefully soon for when I am laying down scratching.

I think a 5'10 would be ideal but then again maybe a 6'0 to have a little more foam??

For a prone Hypto I'd go with the 6'0" for a little extra foam.

I'd also recommend you take a look having a custom 85-90L Hypto SUP built.  If you are an experienced surfer and paddler you'll be amazed at how it surfs while still being quite stable.    Dimensions would be around 6-8 x 27 x 4 at 85L.

No interest in having another SUP built. Love my Infinity's!!!! I feel you tho...foam will be my friend.

Start on your sup laying down getting used to popping up and turning without a paddle. Then some cheap wavestorm and if that's working move on to a shortboard.

If you get there you will love the newfound intimacy with the wave.  You're sunk down in the water waiting for the wave. You wait way inside which is fine because you can accomplish the joyous duck dive to get under what you need to.  And on takeoff you are seeing the changing face of the wave from close up.

These are all the things I miss on my sup. And as far as aggressive ripping goes,
Mo Freitas shows what's possible to strive for with a sup.

I've longboarded so no need to surf my SUP without a paddle. It just wasn't the feeling I want. I look forward to being able to duck dive and being closer to the wave. Mo is killing it for sure!!! Gotta root for my homeboy Gio when they compete tho.

Again, I look forward to putting in the time and being humbled. Thanks for the responses.
5'10
175 lbs

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »
After your SUPs anything is going to feel small.

I've been mostly longboarding lately but also have a 7'6" and 6'8". I'm 6' and 225# and let's just say that I don't catch waves easily, I have to beat them into submission. And I'll tend to surf spots that have less current so I don't have to keep paddling constantly. After surfing my 8'8" L41 anything approaching the same magnitude of inputs to the 6'8" will have undesired results. So going smaller for more maneuverability I don't think is not necessary. I would recommend getting a board that catches waves more easily. After all, more waves are more fun. I ended up looking at the big hip boards like the Von Sol Shadow or the Fire Wire Dominator that are wider and the tails had considerably more foam than the average short board. Thinking glide here. I went with the Dominator but if I find the right deal on a Shadow I'd like to replace my current 7'6".

YMMV

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal