Author Topic: Van dwelling down the coast from Washington! Surf with me!  (Read 4304 times)

Saltsups

• Harry
  • Waikiki Status
  • Salt coastal outfitters Bumbaclot
    • View Profile
    • Travel blog
    • Email
Van dwelling down the coast from Washington! Surf with me!
« on: December 30, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
So me and my SO have been road tripping from orange beach Alabama since October 1st (www.gulfofmexicans.wordpress.com) we did a real quick run from LA up the pch to Washington. Got to surf Santa Monica pier (crap), c-street (chill), and Leo Carrillo (got bullhorned out??)  :P now we are heading back down the coast as we are sick of this cold. Once we get to cali we plan on taking it slow and just surfing and relaxing. Assuming we ride the entire coast down to the border I'm guessing we are passing right thru the backyards of a lot of you guise:).... so give us the tour.. let's surf, explore, or just chitchat. Our favorite part of this crazy van journey is meeting new people. I've been riding a while so super down to charge some big ones. I also run a rental shop back home and am dealer for yolo and jimmy Lewis. So If your not down for a surf we'd love to get some lunch and talk industry.. really just wanna surf your secret spot though.. spred the love, check out the Gus bus and hear some of our stories, and if your ever on the Alabama gulf coast I'll repay the kindness.

Buena onda
Harrison Butler
President of the Alabama extreme sweeping club

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Van dwelling down the coast from Washington! Surf with me!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
What were you doing at the Santa Monica Pier? And  why did the lifeguard (I'm guessing that's who it was) bullhorn you out of Secos?

Saltsups

• Harry
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Travel blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
We drove straight in from Vegas toward the coast and that's just the first beach we hit. It was waist high and very dumpy. Had to still get my first California surf though! Idk what the deal with Leo Carrillo was tho?? Only out for like 20 minutes... great waves, people seemed cool, then I heard the bullhorn. Didn't see where it came from. didn't wanna cause trouble. Promptly left

Edit: did I get booted unjustly? Thought the vessel rule was done?? That was a dreamy little wave I would love to get back too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:34:33 PM by Saltsups »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »
Leo is not a SUP spot. I surf it quite a bit on a longboard and it is a beautiful wave. I've camped there on a Sunday night and had it all to myself on a Monday dawn patrol. All time.

The reasons for no SUP actually make sense for once.

1. It's a tiny take off and a SUP could dominate the lineup, more than one would end everyone's day. There's literally an 6' to 8' wide place to take off.

2. It's a dangerous take off. There's a rock to the left that's obvious and one just barely under the surface where you take off (it's out at a really low tide) so the old "over the nose" SUP fall or a pearl dive could send you to the ER. On a longboard, you slide over it on your belly and pop up just after you clear it. (It's pretty terrifying when you first start surfing the break.

Beautiful wave, lay down and have a ball but even as a SUS'er who hates arbitrary rules, this one has a good reason.

Saltsups

• Harry
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Travel blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:34:09 AM »
hmm I didn't think the rocks were that bad... guess I'm used to the madness from surfing bocas del toro for a year! I was even taking the mini lefts on the other side of the big rock..and. there was some serious boulders over there. Was a small takeoff.. but idk there was plenty of scraps on the inside.. and a bounce off the big rock everyone would miss. I can see what you mean though.. one kook

Saltsups

• Harry
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Travel blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »
One c street noseride for y'all  8)
Also next day van report.. waking up in a cold Kent,WA Walmart parking lot now.. mr buddy cranked up. Headed your way when the sun comes up!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:55:32 AM by Saltsups »

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
hmm I didn't think the rocks were that bad... guess I'm used to the madness from surfing bocas del toro for a year! I was even taking the mini lefts on the other side of the big rock..and. there was some serious boulders over there. Was a small takeoff.. but idk there was plenty of scraps on the inside.. and a bounce off the big rock everyone would miss. I can see what you mean though.. one kook
Leo Carrillo State beach(known as Secos by locals) is another spot that has two distinct areas, like Topanga, one of which is off limits to SUPs but not the other. The main take off spot, to the right of the rock(surfer's right, looking from the water to shore) is indeed very restricted and would be SUPable only when empty (meaning no waves). However when there is a solid south swell and it is breaking overhead at the rock, there is a second take off further down the beach and closer to shore, more or less in front of the stairs. It is a steeper and shorter section than the main break but it is great fun on a shorter SUP, and no problem with surfers or the lifeguard. I got one of my best tubes ever on a SUP on that wave. During the summer months the lifeguards put out a line of buoys, separating the two sections between surfers and windsurfers. The windsurf section is also the SUP section, since the two are not usually on the water at the same time. Of course, one way to combine the two is to Windsup! On a really big south it will break further out, near another rock that you have to be aware of, called the "Boil Rock" by windsurfers.  That"s it above my head in the second pic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:04:44 PM by laszlo »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
It is true that the south breaks when its big. I've never really gotten it, but it is a fun inside.

Forgot to say to the OP that I love that you're getting some fun times traveling and seeing the US. I'm jealous. I have to do a bit of that myself.

Hope you find friendly waves and aloha as you travel. Sorry about Leo but there are so many good waves up and down this coast. Hope you score a ton.

Saltsups

• Harry
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Travel blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. In Arcada.. very happy to have reached the coast! Drove from roseburg Oregon and the snowy mountains were a little scary for our humble van. Gonna snoop around here tomorrow to try to find a wave before we continue south. Maybe I'll get ahold of a normal surfboard and I can still catch some waves at Leo... if not like surfcowboy said... plenty of coast. And surfcow.. you can do it! we bought our van and pimped it out with a bed and power for under 2000$. 3 months on the road and haven't stayed in a hotel yet 8) gas and ramen that's all you need

Edit: I wanna try one of those windsups so bad :'(

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
Nice trip. Here's a tip for Ramen. Get a dozen eggs and boil them for five and a half minutes in water with a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in it. Peel the eggs--they'll peel easily after boiling in alkaline water. The yolks will be jammy, the whites firm. When your Ramen is ready cut an egg in half lengthwise and drop it in the ramen to warm up. Turns your 70 cent ramen into a ten buck fancy ass dish. Trust me on this. A handful of bean sprouts is nice too.  I lived in a van for more than a year. Loved it.

Also, when you head south, do Highway one, but check to see if there's any sections out. The mudslides take out sections regularly. Hit Bodega bay and stop at one of the oyster companies--they do barbeque oysters that are top notch.  Equally good in Brookings, but you're south of there already.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:22:34 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 06:43:10 AM »
...snippity...

Also, when you head south, do Highway one, but check to see if there's any sections out. The mudslides take out sections regularly. Hit Bodega bay and stop at one of the oyster companies--they do barbeque oysters that are top notch.  Equally good in Brookings, but you're south of there already.

Yummy...love me some Bodega Bay barbecued bivalve molluscs...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
Damned...two hours till lunch! :o

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
Well, don't come to San Onofre....... because you'll probably never want to leave. If you do happen this way, I'm sure we'll run into each other. Just remember I usually go right :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal