Stand Up Paddle > Downwind and Racing

Thinking about getting into Downwinding - Questions

(1/7) > >>

APPST_Paddle:
I'm thinking about from a fitness and paddling improvement standpoint about getting into downwinding and more flatwater paddling. Here's where I'm at and my questions:

-I'm purely into SUS right now, love it, can't get enough. I'll occasionally take my longboard style SUP out in flatwater just to get some water time in.
-Anytime the wind goes over 13 knots or so - I'm kiteboarding
-I'm at the gym 5 days a week depending on surf/wind - basically I do something everyday, and a lot of times twice a day (hour in gym, hour kiting or surfing)
-I'm 36 years old, 170 lbs. and in fairly good shape

Here's my questions:
-For anyone who's purely into surf, how does downwinding compare from a fun standpoint? I know it's not surfing, but I'm sure there's people out there that either said hey I tried this and hated it, or I loved it and didn't think I would, etc.

-Paddle size/shapes - I'm sure there's plenty of info out there for this, so I'll do some research. Right now I have a single paddle - Kenalu Ho'oloa at forehead level, 95 sq in.

-Board - No clue on volume/length or what would work well, etc.Probably need to demo.

-

Badger:
I mostly surf and I would say the fun factor of downwinding is very high. It's a lot like surfing. You are riding waves, accelerating and turning, although everything happens a lot faster. You really need to be on your toes and react a lot quicker than regular surfing. That's what makes downwinding excellent training. Given the right conditions it's never boring.

I discovered downwinding in a small tidal bay across the street from my house. It's only a three mile run but 20 to 30 mph winds can kick up some close to knee high waves. I started on an 11'2 Starboard Blend and got some surprisingly long glides. I became instantly addicted and bought a JL M-14. After a couple of years I sold that and got an M-12'6. I still haven't decided which length is better for the conditions where I live. Most will say 14 feet is the best length and I have to agree.

A lot depends on where you will be doing it. Certain factors have to line up to create good downwind conditions. Do you already have a place in mind?

Coming from a surfing background, you might want to consider a more surf oriented downwind board rather than the race type boards. The race boards do go fast but they don't ride the waves or turn on the wave nearly as well. Plus, a surf style downwind board will actually surf real waves. I've surfed my M-14 and M-12'6 a lot. They are among the best surfing downwind boards out there.

Because downwind boards are generally high volume and a lot thicker, you'll need a slightly longer paddle.

laszlo:
I think downwinding is totally addictive, it is a way to enjoy surfing on water that doesn't normally have breaking surf, but it really is dependent on where you are doing it. To be really fun you need wind, a lot of it, and a body of water with enough fetch to build windswell. It should also have wind that blows generally parallel to a shoreline, and have access to put in and take out spots. Not too many locations have all the ingredients.

coldsup:
Can't beat SUP surfing personally but DW is a very good alternative when you can't surf. It is surfing.....but different. And it can be more tiring physically for sure.

Just another SUP discipline....go and enjoy.

Takes a while to get the hang of it ....unless you have ideal conditions to learn on. It's either too much or too little where I am  ;D

APPST_Paddle:

--- Quote from: coldsup on March 16, 2017, 10:30:41 AM ---Can't beat SUP surfing personally but DW is a very good alternative when you can't surf. It is surfing.....but different. And it can be more tiring physically for sure.

Just another SUP discipline....go and enjoy.

Takes a while to get the hang of it ....unless you have ideal conditions to learn on. It's either too much or too little where I am  ;D

--- End quote ---

So here's the thing - if there's a lot of wind, I'm kiteboarding. I live basically on a tidal sound/ditch that I can get out on from my house +/- 2 hours around high tide. I'm 10 minutes from the beach. If you need a lot of wind to make it fun, then I'll probably never go because I'd be on a kite. I was looking at it for the light wind days (5 - 12 knots) which will not create much of a bump I'm guessing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version