Author Topic: Geezer Foil 2  (Read 19917 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Geezer Foil 2
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
Hey Bill, have you been following where kite foils are going?  The latest is trying to get foils to carve turns off the back foot, instead of pivot turning between your feet. It's all about getting true surfboard feel. Within two years, what we have today will be no more, I think.

They are getting there by reversing the foils, bigger in back. Canard like setup. Zeeko has it in production. Back yard guys are just swapping wings. Some are getting it to work.

Interesting thought. I can mount this big wing anywhere. A little T up front just to lift the nose up, and the big wing to bear the weight. Still might not turn, there's a lot of stability built into this kind of wing, but I think there's more of a chance of foot steering it. I guess I need to buy a bunch of fin boxes. That poor SIC Recon is going to look pretty strange.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
Are the gates needed?  It looks strong as is.

US fin box mounts is a great idea for your T foil and would be cool for GF3 for the Flat V.  I am thinking of doing that for both of the flat V's on my Swell Sled.  Two plates in each box.  4 boxes.  Maybe a foot of combined fore/aft adjustment with long boxes.

Yes, I think so. This is a fast and loose build and the joints need a lot of strength and rigidity if they aren't supported. Might be overkill, but that's my middle name. Well, actually, I don't have a middle name, but if I did...

The wrap on the edge of the upper plate worked better than expected. I think I'll foil the bottom edge to make it easier to glass and wrap it, and go for a good size overlap using the peel ply "technique" which is another terms for "bodge".

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:37:05 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »
Nice work PonoBill, this looks like it will be inherently stable and create lots of lift.  Will the mounting plate go on the bottom of the board or on top like your first setup?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
I made it to go on the bottom, but I'm considering angling the gates so it could mount either way.

Here's the bottom of the foil with carbon--a 1/3 wrap on the leading and trailing edges

And the top brace, wrapped 1/3 also, with peel ply stapled to hold the edges tight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:01:12 PM by PonoBill »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 01:31:13 AM »
This is a great structural design man. I can see a lot of mounting options.

having never seen a rudder board up front, do they just glass tubes through the board for the steering rods and cables?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Yup. Most use irrigation tubing.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
This is an interesting project for a human powered foil craft that uses a double decker foil under the rider and very small stabilizer foils in the front:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1269353040/help-us-break-a-speed-world-record/description

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:27:19 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Lovely cad work, I was impressed right up until I realized it was prop driven. it seems silly to use a propeller if you're going to have a pedaling mechanism. There are any number of moving foil designs that would transfer the human energy much more efficiently.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »
Cross brace installed. I love laying glass or carbon onto previous layers that had peel ply on them. The "tooth" of the resin layer is perfect.

Next I'll fillet the inside of the joints with chopped carbon and lay a patch over the fillet. Last step is installing the gates. I think they're necessary. It's a strong piece, but there will be lateral loads. I'm going to angle the gates as a cross brace. If I was laying up four or five layers of carbon I might not do it, but this if just two layers, lapped. Plenty stiff, but not necessarily super strong.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:52:06 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
The joints are faired in with chopped carbon and covered with a layer of carbon, now I just need to attach the gates, sand everything, seal it up, bondo and paint. I have two of the wood foils coming, I plan to build a short one and use just the wing for the front foil. Going to try DW's idea of the big foil in the back--makes a lot of sense.  A few more days and this will be ready to rock. Not too bad for four days work with a lot of other stuff done as well. I bought one of the Hobie Mirage Eclipse boards today. I'm going to modify the pedals so it works like an elliptical machine. Should be great exercise--better than a sweaty gym.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:53:54 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
I think it's strong enough. Now I'm waiting for the bits to do a front foil and some mast tracks. Ordered a bunch of Chinook 12". I should have just driven down to Cascade Locks and picked them up at the factory.

Rigid like a block of concrete. Might be a little overbuilt (ya think?!?). If it's too draggy I'll pull the vanes and sand it thinner.

Rod Parmenter came by the other day. He's been talking to some guy that's building a SUP foil he wants him to test. We're going to stick a couple of mast tracks in my L41 to test it with a flat base plate. I'm trying to talk them into a 2' mast. What's the thinking on minimum mast height?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:43:44 PM by PonoBill »

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
Interesting.
Well.... you revolutionized paddles....might as well make foiling more user friendly as well! :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
The mast track is genius. You think it'd work for a Clearwater kit too? (I need to hack up my Sim I think.)

This thing looks solid man. I've been in the desert wrapping the interior of that place out there and am itching to get my paipo in the water. But think when I build this next board I'm going to put some sort of mount in it and build a chinook kit as well while the garage is sticky/dusty.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 10:57:34 PM »
PonoBill, I believe you can mast at any length,  but the longer it is the more distant the feel and reaction time. It also depends if you like the look of flying higher or lower.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 06:53:31 AM »
Doesn't the mast height also factor into the ability to sustain glide?  In other words as the foil is slowing and sinking, the height of the mast would help determine the amount of glide before the bottom of the board contacts the water. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal