The Foil Zone > Foil SUP

Geezer Foil 2

(1/16) > >>

PonoBill:
So,GF2 needs to be a lot stiffer, a lot stronger. Two ways to do that--1. use very strong materials, or 2. use a strong structure. I'm going mostly with 2 with a bit of 1 tossed in.

The front foil will be boxed, the rear, i'm not sure yet.

Here's the start of building the box and a new connector foil. There will be two fences coming down to the joint of the main wihng, and a brace across the top that the board connects to.

Here's the wing and center foil pieces. I cut through the top of the wing sections, leaving the aluminum intact, then flexed the pieces into this position

Glued with Gorilla glue

Added carbon strips to reinforce the joints,

Good start I think. I'm not going to try bagging this. the center foil is going to be a wet layup. I'm thinking a thin skin of spruce ply on the top of the wing, glued in place, and then carbon. The fences reinforcing the joints are going to be thin plywood with carbon on each side--a thin sandwich, but it should be strong. Top piece probably plywood with fiberglass over it.  Maybe some carbon too--why not. I have a lot of 10oz scrap.

Total width is 29 inches. the center foil is 22"X8" The angle wings are 13" X8". I'm fudging a bit on the foil coefficient, but according to my calculations the full wing (center and angled wings) gives 240# of lift at 4mph. The coefficient might be better, we'll see. There's nearly 200# of righting force available if the foil tilts 30 degrees at 5mph. Lots 'o fudging in those numbers.

Ichabod Spoonbill:
I'm amazed you can actually do the math on that. I'm definitely not that kind of nerd. Mucho respect.

PonoBill:
Water makes it easy since the density parameter factors out to 1, so you can ignore it,  and I'm doing a very simplified calculation assuming zero degree AOA.

blackeye:
I like the new names: GF1 and GF2. Sounds a bit more hip than the original. Perhaps Admin can rename the thread.

I look forward to having a GF experience someday soon.

surfcowboy:
This is a great design evolution.

What's the back again? Same apparatus or a single winglet on a fin?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version