Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 924 times)

SURFFOILS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
When foiling on a bodyboard your legs are dragging behind, that gives you plenty of fore / aft stability, it also means you don't need as much area because you're not lifting your entire weight, maybe 60-70%.
Turning it will be easy,it's only a single foil and will pivot around that COG easily, in fact without your feet dragging it will be quite unstable in yaw.
 If take the fins for extra kick into the wave and becuase you're new to foiling,if you kick outta some point and kick into the foil you won't be happy. Consider the fins to be safety equipment.
Even at a low speed , that's a foil with big lift.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
Foil mounted today. I gave myself 2-3" between the rear of the board and the trailing edge as advised.

The aluminum is also more than strong enough when screwed into the board and wing. I have just over 7" to the water. I'm sealing it up with some spar varnish and hoping to test this weekend if I can get a buddy to assist/film/laugh at, me.

I'll shoot pics in the am if I can.

SURFFOILS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
So stoked to know you've built your own and you will be amazed how easy it is to foil with a basic shape.
Even at low speed you're going up in the world !!

You'll be bustin' a move like this up the beach after !!

Maybe wait until you get home...

But it feels like this especially the speed when you're prone,  you really are flying.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:58:15 AM by SURFFOILS »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 06:17:33 AM »
All this stuff is driving me nuts at the moment because I can't jump in myself.... :(. Love the idea of playing with foils on a bodyboard 1st. Seems far easier and faster. I have so many projects backlogged on my list now it's frustrating....and that's not even counting all the stuff my wife will want done on the new house. But once I have my new workshop setup I'm going to make some sawdust and I think something like this will be one of the 1st things out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

* Recent Topics