The Foil Zone > Foil SUP

Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread

(1/50) > >>

surfcowboy:
A good old fashioned backyard build thread. I'll be making multiple versions but this is where I start and I'll track the next few prototypes and experiments.

Thanks to supUK for convincing me to start sanding, to Pono for his matching love of science and disregard for good sense, and surffoils for reminding me that a bodyboard is a lot easier to fall off of than a SUP.  ;)

This thread sponsored by Wile E Coyote.

Now, let's get into it.

Yes, I know it's huge. I can always cut it but adding wood is so much harder. It's scientifically designed by having a piece of wood this size. About 24" X 12". I wanted to see if the fore/aft stability of 12" would work with a body board but I'll be taking a bolt on fuselage and tail to stabilize it at the beach if this doesn't prove wide enough front to back to balance on.

I can also move it up and back as my board is a wood paipo so that should make on the fly adjustments at the beach easy as well. (Taking a buddy to assist, hold tools, and maybe film in case America's Funniest Home Videos or Red Bull, depending on the success or failure, is paying.)

The mount will likely need some beefing up and I'll also probably want to be able to stabilize it fore and aft so I can adjust the angle of attack. I'm thinking of using a threaded rod near the tail between the board and wing with nuts to adjust the AOA. I'm just sealing it with polyurethane for the tests so I can hack it up if/when I mod it.

I'd assume that after the first session I'll be cutting this down to about 6" and using the fuselage, but this rig will also accommodate a wider disc if I want to make one for single foil testing as we have discussed on the surffoils thread but this is sort of a mashup of his ideas, Terry Hendricks and then the GoFoil stuff if/when I add a tail.

The last shot is a mock up, I'm going to cut down the Paipo and then play with my balance point til I find a starting place.

What are you waiting on boys? Quit reading and start sanding!

SURFFOILS:
You can, should, will foil on that easily, no problem.

surfcowboy:
Ah, that made me day. I'll keep you posted and report findings.

Also looking for more aluminum to make a longitudinal foil set as well. I'm curious as to how small I can go on those.

SURFFOILS:
24 x 12 = 288 square inches, you'll lift very easily, have great lateral stability. maybe a bit too much area for decent waves. Down to  250 on average waves, 200 for OH. Remove from the tips down to 13" wide,its like a bike- speed  brings stability.
Keep the supports in the middle of the chord and set itparrallel to the hull, no extra AOA needed, you'll find it's easier to control if the foil and hull are the same angle.

I mount with the TE 2-3" short of the end of the board for safety.
 You will have great fore/aft balance becuase you feet will provide stability.

Looking forward to hearing how much you love it.

surfcowboy:
Thanks for the feedback. This is made for a pretty mushy test spot and then if i can manage this thing, I'll start working on chopping or making other versions.

I have a buddy who's a blacksmith so I'm going to get him to help me make some thicker aluminum struts so I can have a nice set in time.

I'm gonna go cut that Paipo down now and see if I can get this thing mounted and stiff enough to surf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version