Author Topic: JL Striker  (Read 6588 times)

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
JL Striker
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
Looking at the JL Striker as my next board, either the 9’5 or the 10.   
Anyone ridden both, how do they compare?
what do the boards weigh?

I’m also interested in how they noseride, the JL website says “Low nose rocker for occasional nose riding”.   What’s occasional nose-riding, does it or doesn’t it?  Anyone tried it out with a big single fin?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:38:11 AM by dingfix »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: JL Striker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
My 9'5 Striker weighs 9.5kg and my first impressions are very positive. I consider myself a low intermediate and weigh 85kg with full winter gear on. I've only had a few opportunities (with the standard fin set up) to get out on it but the board is great fun and very forgiving. It catches waves easily and I can move around on it a little (nowhere near the nose yet but hopefully with practice the board seems that it will help me out!). I've not tried or seen the 10' Striker but I'd imagine that it would be even more forgiving.
Hopefully more experienced users of the Striker will help you out!
PS- the quality of the Striker is top notch - highly recommended!

othpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
I have the 8"11" JL Striker.  I am 6' 1"  and weigh 190 lbs.

I love my striker.  Very slashable in small to medium surf and nose rides great. 

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the info and keep it coming.   130l is lower than I want to go, so the 9'5 is probably right for me.   If the 8'11 noserides, and from the look of those photos it does, then definitely no need to go for the 10, the 9'5 should work fine for me?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:15:26 PM »
The striker looks to me like an updated version of the infamous 11er, which enabled an entire generation of SUP surfers to get out and have fun right away (a generation being five years in the SUP world). Easy money, should noseride well--Jimmy is first and foremost a noserider.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »
Been on the 9 5 for a year and a half now...use it for most things.....I am 95 kg with full 6 mm wettie and about 5, 10.

I have ditched the stock centre fin and now use it as a true thruster...using big fins. Otherwise it works great with 7 inch centre fin and small sidebites.

Really nice board on a wave....carves great and turns fast for a 9,5. Catches waves well and is pretty light.

I think this board absolutely shines on clean days....superb fun when you get a wall to play on. I'm not keen on it on choppy days. The 9,5 length and super flat nose can catch on take offs when it is bumpy and when it dives it dives. I doubt the shorter ones have that prob. If the board had a bit more nose kick then it would be great. Cheater fives are fun and quite easy but I don't think the board is a particularly great noserider....been on other boards that are more stable up on the nose. My 8 ft 8 quad does cheater fives easier for example.

All in all a near perfect one board quiver.....but not quite...the very flat nose bugs me on choppy days. Selling it on for something similar but with more rocker.
Great summer board. I would keep it but need the cash to buy another.

If you are keen on a noserider then the Sunova Style 10 x 29 is a good option.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:11:41 AM by coldsup »

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
Thanks coldsup.  So, the board may not be exactly what I'm looking for, I'm after similar dimensions to my 9'8 nsp cocomat, less volume and more of a longboard style.  However, if you are selling yours, pm me the details please?  Still be interested in more thoughts anyone?

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
rented a 9'5 for a week on Maui a couple summers ago.  Don't really have much to add, but I'd affirm what's been said here.  It's a nice easy surfer.  Pretty forgiving and stable.  I didn't get to try it out in monster surf or anything.  Just a lot of fun in summer waves.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
I would say it's based on what you are looking for - I went with a dedicated noserider, the 10'1" Black and Blue, and absolutely love it. I cannot say enough good things about that board.

I couple that with a smaller/lower volume board for when waves get above waist high or are steeper (it was a 7'11" F-One Madeiro, but it will soon be a JL Worldwide 8'5") . I could see getting the Striker as a 1 board quiver and changing fin setups for whatever you are in the mood for.

You can always e-mail Jimmy or Marlon, they are extremely responsive.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
Thanks.  I am limited to one board for surf so maybe the 9'5 is a good compromise.  The nsp doesn't really work as a single fin, i think the box is too far back.  anyone tried the striker with a big single?

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »
I second what APPST_Paddle said about dropping Jimmy or Marlon an e-mail. Marlon replied to my e-mails quickly and offered great friendly advice when I was trying to decide which board I would choose that would complement my 10'8 JL Hanalei and 8'11 Allwave. You should also phone your local JL distributor. Ian, the JL distributor here in the UK was more than willing to talk at length about the options available when I've been interested in buying and was extremely helpful with arranging to meet up to personally deliver the boards. Things like this really impressed me (along with the JL boards)!
All the best with your decision making!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
Thanks.  I am limited to one board for surf so maybe the 9'5 is a good compromise.  The nsp doesn't really work as a single fin, i think the box is too far back.  anyone tried the striker with a big single?

Yes, stuck my old 10 inch MDT 3 in .....better with a 9 inch I reckon....was fine but reckon it goes better as 2 + 1 .....or a thruster if you want it loose....you can really put it on a rail with side fins.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 04:59:01 AM »

Yes, stuck my old 10 inch MDT 3 in .....better with a 9 inch I reckon....was fine but reckon it goes better as 2 + 1 .....or a thruster if you want it loose....you can really put it on a rail with side fins.

+1 re: putting it on rail - I like my 8'11" Striker with a True Ames 7.5" Yates Classic center and AM1 glass sides.  No fin flex for me, thanks.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »
I've been surfing my 9'5 all winter on everything up to head high surf. It's been a good board to me. It really shines on those glassy days. One of the breaks here has a pretty steep wave face, so the lack of nose rocker can be a problem at times.

It's a stable board, catches waves easily, and if you get back on the tail will crank turns pretty quick for board it's size.

I'm 6'1 and 185lbs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:29:40 AM by novaboy »
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal