Author Topic: Looking for a new all around sup.  (Read 3653 times)

Dani_Blum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a new all around sup.
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
Hallo everyone...
Right now iam surfin on starboard hypernut 8.6
The problem is that iam a student and dont have much time for training...
So my question is, which sup will b good for a 93kg guy that hes main activity is to hold a pen and solve math problems :)
I thoght about buyin an all around sup... if someone can recomend from hes own experience it would be great.

Thanks alot. Daniel.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:15:04 PM by Dani_Blum »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Looking for a new all around sup.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
Dani, almost every manufacturer makes an all rounder. Most of them are fine boards. In my experience, I've tried Bic, NSP, and Amundson. These are all fine. Bic is probably the cheapest, and they have some very tough designs. They have a new technology called Tough-tec, which is replacing their Dura-tec boards. These are pretty bulletproof. Pretty much any brand will be fine unless you're looking at a odd brand that hasn't proven itself yet.

You probably want to go fairly big at 93kg. I would say an 11' board would be about right. You might want to go smaller or bigger, depending on whether you want the board's bias to be surfing (smaller) or cruising (bigger). Your choice. Big boards are a lot of fun in smaller waves. I'm not a great surfer, but damn do I have a  smile on my face on a big board.

Lots of boards this size come with tie-downs which are nice if you want to go cruising. They're great for water bottles or other gear. I'm testing out a Pau Hana Big EZ Ricochet right now (check out the thread) which would also be perfect for you. I like durable boards, BTW. They're heavier than others but I like not having to repair them.

Good luck!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
Hi Daniel, welcome to the Zone!

I am the Sunova mascot. I will give you a few boards to look at from my personal experience.
Since I wobble between 210 to 230 lbs (95 to 104 kg), I am in the "Big boy" club

I have ridden the 8'6 Hypernut, so I know the stability and paddling aspects of that board.
I am an experienced rider, so to me it's is fairly a stable board.

My suggestion is to go big enough to enjoy your time on the water... but the fact you have the Hypernut tells me you want performance on tap as well.
This winter I have taken to a board that smooths out my rough conditions and still surfs really well.
The ONE 9'5 by Sunova  at 160 liters and 32" wide, it is really stable, paddles great and is a blast to surf.
I have the ECO version, which is the less expensive, slightly heavier construction.
Weight, with fins and pad is only 21.8 lbs (9.9 kg)

Here is my review on the ONE... it's 10 min long but covers all the bases.
Plenty of surf action in it... but it starts off paddling in flat-water so you can see all of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n39Hh2_64o

I have other vids on this and lots of other Sunova's and other brands I have ridden over the years
Click the link below (in my "signature") to get to my Youtube channel and have a look at lots of boards.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Why cant you keep training on the hypernut? I know you wont go as fast or cover as much ground, but if that is the board you want to be able to grab when its surf time, it makes sense to spend time getting comfortable with it.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »
You really haven't provided enough information to have any of give us you a reasonable recommendation. "Training" is too nebulous a description and doesn't really help. You have a huge Hypernut, just paddle it if you want exercise. You won't go as far, but you'll get the same workout as someone on a DW board.

My two primary boards are an 8'5" Speeed and a 14' Falcon. I take whatever fits the conditions I expect, but sometimes things happen. On Monday I came across a PERFECT head high peeling right that was deserted. But I was on the Falcon.... Screw it. I surfed that break for over an hour on a totally inappropriate board and had a blast.

The point is, paddle what you have for exercise. When you know specifically what you want to do and how your equipment is holding you back then it's time to upgrade, but not before. If you are asking vague questions, like you are, you're not really ready to swap gear.

Dani_Blum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:10:44 AM »
I used to surf my hypernut a lot ... i think you didnt understood me right if your seyin that iam askin a vague question...
The point is that iam not trainin at the winter because iam learning and the summer here is only 3-4 months.
Now, because iam not really updated with all the all around sups brands iam just askin if someone can recoment me somethin that wont explode my legs after 1 hour of surfin...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:44:41 AM »
Ok, because you mentioned "training", people have taken this to be that you want to paddle distances, maybe. But what you are asking for is a more forgiving surf SUP, right? Basically you've done what many people do and buy a board that is too advanced for you, and it's making you miserable.

Most of the top brands have boards that surf pretty well and yet are very accessible. Popular choices for instance are the Fanatic All Wave or Naish Mana. But anything from the better known brands that is over about 9ft and 30" wide should do. Try to demo if you can, and it's a good idea to buy used until you know what is best for you.

Personally I choose to surf bigger boards than I strictly need to because I like the glide of them and the challenge of it. I have more fun - and more waves - on bigger boards. But if you are wanting to compete, of course it is all about how small you can go. But if you are after having fun, to my mind it is about how big you can go. Turning and surfing well big boards is a skill all of its own, and some people say "this board won't turn" when they actually mean "I can't turn this board". In other words, some people go shorter because of a lack of skill, not because of a surfeit of it IMO.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:08:30 AM »
All around boards are all basically the same. Decide the length and width that you want and just pick one.

There are dozens of good brands out there. Cruise the internet and become familiar with them. If you like Starboard stick with them. They make some nice all around boards. 

If you want to save money try CraigsList.

If like Area 10 suggested, you are just looking a more stable surfboard, look for something a little wider and a little longer while staying within the correct target volume range for your weight.

If you want a board recommendation, you really have to give more specific details about what you want the board to do.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:20:26 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:57 AM »
I'm going to second what Badger said about Craigslist. All-around boards are the most common board for sale, so you can get them at good prices. Shop around and see what you can find. Check back with us if you have any questions.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »
absolutely used.  at any given time here in NJ there are a dozen all rounders for sale for 4-700 bucks on CL or in consignment shops

call up- see if someone will let you go for a quick paddle on it...purchase.

I always let people paddle my used boards I sell- A. because I would want to, and B. I usually end up meeting someone new to paddle with.

NJS

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
I read Dani's ESL post as; "As a 205lb, summer surfer on the southeast corner of the Mediterranean, the 8-6 Hypernut wears me out quickly. I would like a more comfortable board. Is there one from your own experience you can recommend?"   

Other than Creek with a Sunnova's ONE.. nobody seems to answer his question with any specificity.  You know how often he get to surf, how much $$ he's already spent, and how heavy he is.. Craigslist is what he gets?! 

I am not as heavy but my schedule is much the same.  If Dani can handle a 8-6 Hypernut, he's likely a fair bit better, and younger, than I am.  I had a 9-2 Allwave  but find the 9-5 Sunnova Speeed much less corky than the AW and, like Porsche Boxster vs. Ford Explorer, I feel the Speeed has a lot more potential than my skills would ever exhaust.  That's my two shekels.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
I read Dani's ESL post as; "As a 205lb, summer surfer on the southeast corner of the Mediterranean, the 8-6 Hypernut wears me out quickly. I would like a more comfortable board. Is there one from your own experience you can recommend?"   

I know this sounds like a broken record... But there isn't a better compromise of stability and surfability than the 9'5" Hammer for paddlers on the beefy side of 200 pounds.

I have an extra one that anybody is welcomed to try out if you find yourself in the Santa Cruz area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal