Author Topic: Pau Hana Ricochet Board Review  (Read 8198 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Pau Hana Ricochet Board Review
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »
Don't you even joke about those things, Stoney! They are pure EVIL! Go right through your boot. ;D
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
LOL...I remembered your story about getting stuck in devils triangle with your daughter...can't imagine having to deal with those things.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »
Icky... congrats!
and I am pretty sure the "thru hole" is for your leash string.
loop the string, tie the knot, push the loop trough the hole.... then attach your leash to the loop.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Thanks, Creek. One of these days you're going to have to get me on a Sunova. Maybe then I'll see the light!

I was looking at the Pau Hana lit, and I think it's a pass-through for a locking strap. Makes sense.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
I finally was able to get out on this thing. Boo snow.

When I looked at the river at noontime the conditions were almost glassy. Perfect conditions for a maiden voyage, especially when the water is still hovering around 40º. Or course, when I got down there at about 2PM the wind had decided to screw with me. Out in the channel things were about 10mph with little whitecaps.

https://youtu.be/Fz2deuQ574c

I launched anyway. Nothing like survival paddling to get a feel for a board!

First impression was that this board is a little more directional than other all-arounders I've paddled. The winds weren't pushing it too hard to one side, and I wasn't having to change sides as often as I expected. There also wasn't as much board slap in the short period chop as I've had with my NSP 11'. I'm not sure why, because this new board's 2" wider, so that would mean more exposed area in the bow? I don't know, but the board was smoother.

No surprise, the board was super stable. The chop didn't toss it around much. I paddled about a mile upwind then did a downbreezer. That part was really fun. The conditions were one of those odd moments when the current and the wind were going in opposite directions. This tends to make bigger chop. The board felt like it really wanted to get on a plane. I got a few small rides in the chop, but even when I didn't the board kind of sailed along. I'd love to surf this thing in small waves.

I never actually fell, but I did go to my knees once when the nose pearled. The board also responded pretty well to foot steering. My other wide board doesn't steer well with weight shifts, but this one was responsive. I had the single fin on for flatwater.

The ricochet material may be tough but my KeNalu paddle made a lot of marks. I guess I'll have to get used to that. Otherwise I think this is a good ride for me. This is probably as good a noodling around board as I could ask for.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 04:59:17 AM »
Old topic, but I got some video of me on the Pau Hana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSaJho9A6ys&feature=youtu.be

A few pics too. My son was working the camera. He got some nice shots!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal