Author Topic: Pau Hana Ricochet Board Review  (Read 8195 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Pau Hana Ricochet Board Review
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Okay, I'm putting my damn money where my mouth is. I got a Pau Ricochet 11' Big EZ board which will be a long-term test.

An 11' all-around is kind of backwards step. The tendency is as you get better you go for a more specialized board. But that's not most SUPers. Most people get one board, so I'm going to put this board through a long term test as a one-board quiver. (It's part of a SUPexaminer series I'm doing.) I just unpacked it so didn't get a great shot of the whole board. It's weird unpacking a board in the snow, but it was 60º last week, I swear!

The Ricochet texture is a little odd. Not bad, just different. It reminds me of some of those matt-finish books. It's not plasticy like one of those Bic Dura-Tecs, but it doesn't quite feel the same as a standard EPS board. It doesn't feel very hard, but from what I understand the strength in this board is how the walls bend. I don't think will be a problem.

Not a lot of rocker in this board. It'll be fine for the wimpy surfing I do, but the curve looks biased towards flatwater. It's got a planing nose, but the rest of it feels like a cruiser. It's pretty flat, so I'm sure it would fine for yoga.

It's got nine of these Seamount plugs. This is a fancy name for a screw mount instead the bungie tie-downs were used to. You can get all sorts of accessories for the Seamounts like phone and rod holders. Soon I'll be getting a GoPro mount and some bungie tie-downs. I like the Seamount on the underside of the nose so I can mount an underwater GoPro.

Can somebody tell me what this hole through the tail is for? A flag plug? I'm confused.

I'll get this thing on the water soon. It's 25º and windy right now. In the next week or so. I'm really looking forwards to testing this out!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Pau Hana Ricochet Board Review
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Oh, I meant to add that the board bag is really tight. I could barely get it on. Maybe that's the temperature?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
Sweet  8) Looks like a very cute all-arounder. What's the weight?
The holes look like a M8 RAM mount which is good news if it is.
Lots of possible attachments. If you have a bigger hole with nothing
in it, it might be a http://supthinktank.com/connexsup/ could not see
clearly from the pics.

Personally I like the matte finish. Both for look and practicality.
What your plans for this board?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:41:43 AM by burchas »
in progress...

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
Pau Hana Big EZ was my 1st real paddle board. Bought it in 2008 and just sold it last year. I'm interested to see if your new board weighs 30lbs as they advertise and just how tough their new material really is.  I'm gonna move to Florida sometime this year and I'm interested in their Endurance board in this material for rivers,springs and canals. Looking forward to your review.   

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Reading some about it seems like they're SeaMount™ System which looks like a threaded
mount. probably compatible with some RAM mounts, worth checking.
in progress...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
Burchas, I think they are a RAM mount. My plans are to do everything I can to this board. I want to see if this Ricochet material is BS or not. I also want a good all-arounder for myself. I don't always want to use my 14' race board. To me, this thing is like a little jeep or something. I can bring it almost anywhere.

I was thinking about the Endurance. It's a good idea. I still want a cruiser/surfer for vacations or if I want to bring a board with me for whatever. I also want something that can take a beating. So we'll see how it goes. I mentioned before I might try some science on this thing too. I'd love to pair it with a Smartfin (http://smartfin.org/project/). I tried contacting those people but I never heard back. Anybody got an in?

Hana, how was the Big EZ for surfing?

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
One review showed guy in Hawaii and his wife surfing this board. I just surf the small East Cost stuff rarely but it feels like surfing a long board. I used it mostly for paddling the ICW and island hopping. I tried several fins and amazingly a Larry Allison Ninja fin worked wonders on this board. Great glide and much better tracking into chop or wind. I never tried any of the newer fins as I don't think I paddled it for 3 years before I sold it last year when I bought a SIC F-14. It was one of the first Big EZ's out and came with a Fiberglass Fin Co. Dolfin surf fin. Used that to putz(limits of my surf ability) around in the surf.
 Hate I sold it.It was the yellow and white with snow camo pad and the Pau Hana surfing Hawaiian emblem. It looked great hanging on my enclosed back porch !!   

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
http://www.supsurfmag.com/equipment-stand-up-paddle/reviews/stand-up-paddle-board-review%3A-the-big-easy-by-pau-hana.-tandem-anyone?-20090605761/

Hope this link works. The pic of the yellow board is just like mine except the blk/white snow camo pad,no tie downs,simple board. Note the Hawaiian surfing emblem back then. I bought my board about 6 months before this first review ever came out. I don't know if they have tweaked the rocker,rails,bottom,etc. thru the years or if still the same.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »
Thanks, Hana. That worked. Good reviews. I think the current Big EZ shape is a little different than what's in this review, but not much. I might consider a Ninja fin if I do a lot of flatwater on this. And since I will be doing a lot of flatwater, I should look at one. The board does weight around thirty pounds. It has a nice Y handle, so that makes it easier to handle.

I was hoping for some nicer weather this week, but it looks like we're getting 12"-18" of snow. Holy crap!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
Nice looking sup. Looking forward  to your review of her to see how she performs for you.

Thanks for posting your photos too.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
Man I surfed with the owner of Pau Hana, Todd, today. Great guy.

We sat at the PPG this year and casually tossed baseball sized rocks at one of those about 10 feet away. It's tough man.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »
Cowboy, that's exactly why I bought the thing. But it's great to hear independent confirmation. Thanks.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »
You could leave the fin off and use it as a sled this week in all the snow headed your way ;D  That would tell us something about durability!! 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
I've been thinking about that very idea… Once this blizzard stops, who knows? (It hasn't actually hit us yet, but soon they say. Soon.)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »
Sweet! Nice size board. Should be fun to surf. I hear water chestnuts will pierce it though..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal