Author Topic: hydrogen fuel cell military vehicle  (Read 3405 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
hydrogen fuel cell military vehicle
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
I can't stand CNN but they have an easy web site to navigate so I sometimes browse and found this.

A hydrogen fuel cell Chevy that makes potable water as a by product.  The military likes it because it's comparatively quiet. (next to a diesel) It's also capable of making hydrogen to regenerate its fuel source so unlike Gen Patton's problems with supply, these bad boys can't just keep going in some Mad Max scenario.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/03/technology/gm-chevrolet-zh2/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: hydrogen fuel cell military vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »
A friend of mine works for Hyundai corporate and drives a hydrogen fuel cell Tucsan compact SUV. His can go a little over 250 miles before refueling. There is a gas station near us that has the hydrogen. Yesterday my son and I were following a car compact hydrogen fuel cell that kept dumping or sprinkling little cup fulls of water about every 10th of a mile from under the car. Even more when they punched it. It was almost enough get a little on our windshield if we followed to close. I could imagine some slightly wet roads if all the cars were fuel cells. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
A friend of mine works for Hyundai corporate and drives a hydrogen fuel cell Tucsan compact SUV. His can go a little over 250 miles before refueling. There is a gas station near us that has the hydrogen. Yesterday my son and I were following a car compact hydrogen fuel cell that kept dumping or sprinkling little cup fulls of water about every 10th of a mile from under the car. Even more when they punched it. It was almost enough get a little on our windshield if we followed to close. I could imagine some slightly wet roads if all the cars were fuel cells.

Hadn't thought of that.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
I can't stand CNN but they have an easy web site to navigate so I sometimes browse and found this.

A hydrogen fuel cell Chevy that makes potable water as a by product.  The military likes it because it's comparatively quiet. (next to a diesel) It's also capable of making hydrogen to regenerate its fuel source so unlike Gen Patton's problems with supply, these bad boys can't just keep going in some Mad Max scenario.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/03/technology/gm-chevrolet-zh2/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

That article is extremely deceptive in my view.  Refueling in 3 minutes for a 250 mile range, got it.  But that's not the whole story.  No mention of the pressures involved.  I'm guessing over ten thousand PSI.  Sigh, it's understandable, this crap is written for the general population. 

As for making fuel in the field, it's done with good old JP4.  And LOTS of it, in a very, very expensive compressor.  No mention of that.  Sounds like you throw some water in the tank and move on.   

Sounds better than batteries!  Wow!  Refuels itself! in 3 minutes? WOW!  Typical shite from the media. 

https://www.engadget.com/2014/12/23/hydrogen-fuel-cell-explainer/

F'n military.  Useless vehicle with no mission other than to waste money.  Drones and robots are cheaper.  We waste bilions on trash like this and the idiots on CNN spew half truths.  Truly bizarre. 

PB, back me up here please... I'm going to go throw up.  Can you imagine the fireball? 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:51:02 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
Dumb article. Fuel cell cars might have their place, but there's no magic there. It's just an energy storage medium. It takes energy to make the hydrogen, you get 40 to 60 percent of it back when you run it through the fuel cell. Yeah, the waste output of the cell is water, but the output of the conversion process isn't. The waste output of a battery is--nothing. People get wrapped around the axle looking at how we generate electricity today and think that means electric cars are no more green than gas powered. That is:

A. Bullshit, top to bottom.
and
2. Even if you currently charge your eCar from a coal plant, that doesn't mean you have to in the future. The source for gasoline is always oil.

The problem with the article is simply this--the writer didn't understand the tech. He wrapped his own uninformed ideas around what is a pretty straightforward technology. and got it wrong.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
 Trying to figure out how to attach the racks.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:10:58 AM »
Well so much for that.  It looked bad ass anyway.  Certainly nothing I could ever afford.  Yeah CNN is the center of fake news.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »

Suction cups, really, really good suction cups...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

Suction cups, really, really good suction cups...
Your suggestion is funny!  But, a surfski paddler in our area uses surfski racks that are attached with suction cups.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »
Now that's just a little scary. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
No, it would work fine as long as the straps connect in some way to the car. The early roof racks all worked that way, with big suction cups to keep the rack from moving and straps that run to hooks on the rain gutters.

But if you mean the rack is held on with suction cups and the straps go to the rack, then yeah, that's crazy. You can get plenty of hold with a few large suction cups, but any compromise of the seal and it's loose. 10 square inches of suction cup surface is 150 pounds per cup, but a hair will set that to zero.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill