Author Topic: "Priorities" get me in trouble  (Read 4949 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: "Priorities" get me in trouble
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
Clinto, the great thing about those big all around boards is that you can carry a kid with you. I have three, and have taken them with me as often as I can. The oldest is 12 now, but my girls still like a good ride even though they're old enough to do their own paddling.

Then your "priority" is to have some quality kid time. It's a win-win.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:06 AM »
Clinto: Do not refer to as "Ghost Board" = It's a "Demo" !   Practice or you will slip under pressure

14'  ?  "I want you to try this thing"...you can co-own that one....

yes it's a fun rant, because everyone here has carved a life to include the water...that involves compromises and decisions... where to live, how to live, and with whom to live

Your next post should be about whether  the price of a New board should exceed the price of an Airline ticket and a beater.

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:50 AM »
Outcast, I like that reframing. ”Sweetie, yeah, this is a demo board. I'm just trying it out for a friend. Yeah, that's the ticket. I didn't buy this board without telling you Sweetie. I would never do that!“

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
HI Clinto
I see the problem. You blew it. Your priorities were right from the beginning until something else
popped up and was doing your thinking. I see that as common trait for young men. Had you not
changed during the wooing stage you would not be struggling now.
I was always tested during my first marriage. Whats 1, 2 and 3 in your life. I always failed.

My second wife of over 20 years does not care about my surfing as I did not change during the
wooing stage. Priorities have not changed. I still surf whenever its good. No issues and life is great.

I hope you can figure it out. Maybe tell her that boards are better than broads. (Meant to be funny not derogatory)
 Good luck. I hope your marriage survives, it always takes effort by both.

Surfing is #1 but don't tell her that. 

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
You guys are great.

Demo board is a great idea. Unfortunately Im a horrible liar. I start smiling before i even speak. I have however figured out how to barter on Craigslist. The last 2 boards i got cost me very little. My garage space is slowly shrinking.

1tuberider. You are somewhat correct on that thought. She wasnt the reason my priorities shifted. She just happened to show up a year or so after they did. I do wish i never lost the stoke. I was in college and during my Sr. year I either studied or partied. So that is what really deflated the stoke. Thank god for SUP. The stoke is born again!! Just wish i would have started paddling years ago.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
I tell my wife that surfing is my only clean vice, the only one that inspires me to get in shape.

When i come home from fishing it is often drunk and smelling of bait.

When I come home from golfing it is often drunk and broke (I suck at golf and gambling).

When I come home from surf I am glowing and stoked.

I always need my outdoors time, that has been a feature of my life forever. She is not a water person, so the time spent at the beach is not a problem for her, but she figures every time I paddle out I am taking a massive risk with my life. I haven't been successful in telling her that while it is dangerous, it is much more dangerous to be fat and out of shape.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
I have a number of friends that shape and make boards. They give me 'demo' boards all the time. Even some of my friends borrow my boards, and vise-versa. Those boards come and go like the wind. It's very complicated ::) You definitely have to get your poker face worked out and your loaner story straight. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »
The way I see it, our activity is way past being a hobby, pastime, lifestyle or other such description.

It's a passion, pure and simple. If we aren't lucky enough that our other half also has something in their life that calls so loudly, well we are then in for relationship problems. They will never understand.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
ALL TRUE WATERMAN, BODY SURFERS, SURFERS, KITERS, WINDSURFERS AND SUPERS
WE ALL SUFFER FROM THE SAME DISEASE THAT CONTROLS OUR LIFES AND PRIORITIES !

FOMO = FEAR OF MISSING OUT !

IT HAS NO KNOWN CURE ! NOT THAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR ONE, AFTER 45 YRS OF WATER TIME I AM CERTAINLY NOT.   

WE WILL BRAVE ANY CONDITION ANYTIME OF DAY TO GET TO THE WATER.
WE WILL DELAY RESCHEDULE AND PISS EVERYONE WE KNOW OFF TO GET TO THE WATER.

AIN'T LIFE GRAND !

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
I was slowly hypnotized into it, watching from shore and thinking I would be insane to ever go out there, much less totally incompetent.

I just tell my wife if I can't do it, I will have to rent shop space and buy a few motorcycles to work on.  Not a peep since.

Of course, I am retired.  I don't know if I ever would have tried if I had still been working.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »
As most of you know, this forum is a place for addicts to go and talk shop. With SUP on my mind most all of the time its nice to be able to chat and read thoughts from so many like minded folks. I just want to be paddling all the time. Its that simple. Well as a father and husband i apparently have my "priorities" off. I figure its probably an issue for most on here being the level of addiction I see in you all with SUP and related topics. My wife just doesn't understand why i need 4 boards, check the weather all the time, check the surf forecast hourly just in case it changed, etc. In my mind, these things are all very important. Finding a new board while on a work trip should be a celebrated event. But nooo. I get accused of planning the work trip around picking up a board down south. She may be partly right but not fully. Don't get me wrong, my family is def my priority and i take pride in providing a great life for them and being a great dad/ husband. But SUP is just so damned addicting that it gets me in trouble. You would think i had a mistress or something. Oh well. Time to go check the surf!! ;D

Ditto- especially the SUS on top of the car on the way home from the work trip that wasnt there when i left.....  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal