Author Topic: "Priorities" get me in trouble  (Read 4944 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Priorities" get me in trouble
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
As most of you know, this forum is a place for addicts to go and talk shop. With SUP on my mind most all of the time its nice to be able to chat and read thoughts from so many like minded folks. I just want to be paddling all the time. Its that simple. Well as a father and husband i apparently have my "priorities" off. I figure its probably an issue for most on here being the level of addiction I see in you all with SUP and related topics. My wife just doesn't understand why i need 4 boards, check the weather all the time, check the surf forecast hourly just in case it changed, etc. In my mind, these things are all very important. Finding a new board while on a work trip should be a celebrated event. But nooo. I get accused of planning the work trip around picking up a board down south. She may be partly right but not fully. Don't get me wrong, my family is def my priority and i take pride in providing a great life for them and being a great dad/ husband. But SUP is just so damned addicting that it gets me in trouble. You would think i had a mistress or something. Oh well. Time to go check the surf!! ;D

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: "Priorities" get me in trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
Welcome to the family   ;D
I think the vast majority of paddlers and surfers suffer from the same.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Take your wife surfing.  Pretty soon she'll be checking surfline for you. :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »
That's sound all too familiar... At least I can console my self knowing I have another
board coming soon  :D
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
My argument to the un-initiated is that there are a lot worse and less healthy ways to spend one's time... (granted, the family's time : ) 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Some of that addictive behavior is because the object of the addiction is not always available. Sports that are weather dependent, like surfing, downwinding and windsurfing are inherently undependable. There are not always waves, or wind, and when there are, it might not work for you. Maybe you won't be able to go then. This uncertainty about when you can get your next fix makes you want it all the more! I guess this isn't a problem for flat water paddlers most of the time.   

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
I am a better dad if i've had my chill.... and i'm faithful to my wife
When they were young i would watch cartoons in am, and surf in the afternoon
Now i try and be back before they wake up, or surf with them
i don't go to many of their games, but not sure that is a bad thing

i'd be a (bigger) a-hole without the ocean

it's good that you care enough to think about it

the only real use for board bags is to hide new toys on the racks...and dings are helpful to demonstrate age....try to ding your new stuff quickly
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
Ask her, "do you want a happy, healthy, strong husband who's only mistress is the ocean, or a not so happy, no so healthy, not so strong husband who wouldn't stand a chance of any kind of mistress (human or otherwise) because he's become a poor example of the male human being?".
Then you could follow it up with a bit of humility, "it's not automatic for all of us men, some of us need a sport to help us achieve all that we can be, as a husband, and a father". 
That last bit usually sells it, if not, then you may have to enter the 'C' zone, dare I say it, "compromise".  :-\
It takes a quiver to do that.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Try this .  Every time  you  are  driving  together  and  see  a  couple  riding  on  a  Harley  or one  of  those  big  Honda  tour  bikes , mention  to  her  that  it  looks  pretty  cool .  Maybe  she'll  figure  out  that  there  is worst  hobbies  than  SUPING 

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
Does your wife not like to paddle? Take your kids! I wish someone put me on a paddle board at 8, instead of 38.

Go EARLY. I go @ 5:45am & by the time I'm done w/ a 2-3 hour session, it's off to coach my kids baseball game. If it's Sunday, they're barely awake when I get back. We live close to our school so my wife takes the kids so I'm able to go weekdays as well. There's no better way to start your day then with a morning paddle session. It will lead to a healthy happier life.

So get the family involved. If that doesn't work, try gambling & boozing for a month and if she if likes that addiction better. There's so many other awful things you could be addicted to, she should support you. My wife supports me & everyone is happy.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
I told my wife that my passion for surfing was going to remain unchanged before we got married.
My hall pass was sort of an unwritten pre-nup.

But, since I set my entire life up to have every day off, and most nights, there was still plenty of family time  ;)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
My wife is a swimmer and does masters three times a week. So I'm lucky I don't get much grief. I figure putting the kids to bed two nights a week is a pretty small price to pay. (Besides, I like reading my girls the Little House books.) SUPing is a pretty cool hobby.

My wife once gave me grief about getting a new board, and then I compared the price to how much she paid for masters swimming. The board was cheaper. (And no, I still haven't told her about the ghost board!)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »
Where are your cajones! I tell my wife I'm going surfing. She tells me she's going swimming or mountain biking with her friends. We both work, own our house, pay our bills, do everything for our kids, so we both deserve our own 'sole time'. Or is it Sol Time?  28 years and going....... That reminds me..... I have an important date next week ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
Loud and clear from all. I will start by saying that she does like to paddle. The best thing i did was buy her a board 2 weeks after i got mine. She felt left out.  The problem is she is a mountain girl that is scared of water she cant see into clearly.  We are working on that. I am working on getting her comfortable enough to where she wont feel like falling in is death.  Most of you guys have grown kids and mine is 3. She did go out many times last year and loved it. This summer is learn to surf time. She cant wait. The biggest thing is that i was an everyday surfer growing up and into my early twenties. When i met the wife i had lost the stoke prior and only went out occasionally.  Now with my new found love of the ocean thanks to sup, she is seeing my inner stoke. It is a great thing and she loves it. This post was more of a fun rant about getting busted with a new board. And of course all of the co parts that go along with the stoke of surfing and paddling. I did try the ghost board approach but when its your first 14 footer its kinda hard. Heres to more!

clinto

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
As most of you know, this forum is a place for addicts to go and talk shop. With SUP on my mind most all of the time its nice to be able to chat and read thoughts from so many like minded folks. I just want to be paddling all the time. Its that simple. Well as a father and husband i apparently have my "priorities" off. I figure its probably an issue for most on here being the level of addiction I see in you all with SUP and related topics. My wife just doesn't understand why i need 4 boards, check the weather all the time, check the surf forecast hourly just in case it changed, etc. In my mind, these things are all very important. Finding a new board while on a work trip should be a celebrated event. But nooo. I get accused of planning the work trip around picking up a board down south. She may be partly right but not fully. Don't get me wrong, my family is def my priority and i take pride in providing a great life for them and being a great dad/ husband. But SUP is just so damned addicting that it gets me in trouble. You would think i had a mistress or something. Oh well. Time to go check the surf!! ;D

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal