Author Topic: Travel Paddle???  (Read 2563 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Travel Paddle???
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »
I’ve just sold a couple of paddles I owned and am looking to replace them with a paddle I can travel with. I thought I would get the Werner Trance 85 three piece, adjustable travel paddle. I just got off the phone with Werner and this paddle breaks down into three pieces, the length of these pieces being 32”, 32” and 20.75”. The 20.75” is fine but the 32” will not fit in my suitcase. The maximum length I can have would be about 25 1/2”. I know that 32” pieces would be fine if I’m going to take my inflatable as I can just put the paddle in the bag the inflatable is in. But there are times when I will not want to take my board, but might still want to take my paddle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there another paddle that will break down into smaller pieces (note that I would prefer an adjustable paddle) or is there another way to do this that I’m not aware of? Note as well that I’m pretty sure my suitcase is just under the limit for the maximum size airlines will allow so unless I want to pay for an oversize bag, I don’t think getting a larger suitcase is the answer.

And finally a question about travel with a carbon paddle. Even if I can find a paddle that will break down into smaller pieces, is it safe to put a carbon paddle in a suitcase? Would I be better off getting a plastic or fiberglass paddle?

Again, any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Travel Paddle???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
I just bought a two piece KeNalu from Lane. I have a bag that will fit 34" diagonally (top corner to bottom opposite corner).....it's also a 32.5" bag so you may want to measure it like that. His pieces are even longer..36" I believe so I'm taking my paddle bag and turning it into a checked bag. Put the shafts in a heavy cardboard tube along with fishing rod, tackle, some soft racks, leash, hand plane, etc. Blade will go in with some clothes in large checked bag with fins and snorkel gear. Have to pay for the extra bag but I think it should travel without damage....fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:54:35 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
Just got back from my CR retreat. I took both of my 2 piece ZRE travel paddles:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29916.0.html

I actually used my full size Quickblade paddle case and put both inside and fold it
in a half. Took with me on the plane, no issues whatsoever.

At 42inch length, fits nicely either under seat or in the overhead compartments.
in progress...

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
Here's another option:

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/sup-paddles/3-piece-travel-100-carbon-sup-paddle/

I just got their Surge paddle (not a 3-piece).  It is the lightest paddle I've ever held.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:55 AM »
...and, here's yet another option...

http://supsports.com/sup-paddles
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. From the different paddle recommendations I see here, the individual pieces of these paddles are still longer than the 32” pieces I get on a Werner. So from what I’m seeing, I think I would just stick with Werner.

And Burchas, wow, I think it’s great that you got your paddles on as carry on, but what would you do if they said no? I just wouldn’t take that chance. To be at the airport in line to get on your flight, and they say you can’t take your $500++ carbon paddle as carry on, and it won’t fit in your suitcase, what do you do? Again, it’s great that it worked, but just not a chance I think I’d want to take.

From what I can see it doesn’t look like I’m going to get anything with smaller pieces that will fit in my suitcase. So maybe my best option is to get a cheaper paddle and see if I can find a backpack that will work. I have a backpack but it looked to me like the longest I could fit in would be about 28”. Maybe I can stretch the bag out somehow.

Or maybe I’ll just try what Burchas did. But in my case I would only do it with a cheaper paddle. And maybe a cheaper paddle makes sense anyway given I will probably only use it 3 or 4 weeks a year.

Don’t know for sure. Still need to think some more on this one.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
I use 70" tall Ke Nalu and Black Project paddles.  Both are assembled with hot glue.  I just take off the handle and blade and put them in a suitcase, and then wrap the shaft in pipe insulation and carry it on to the flight.  It fits in the back of the overhead compartments.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
Quickbeam, I see you're point but this is not the first time I've done it. This time due to
a long trip I took 2 paddles with me but usually take one. I actually used to put it in my
folding sup bag but after reading about several zoners taking their paddles with them on
the flight I decided to try it my self. Worse case scenario, they will check it for you.

Case is padded and you could add some extra protection without much bulk just in case
you do have to check it.

The reason I came with this design to begin with is because I didn't want to get stuck with
a paddle I don't like when away. Used to have the Werner 3 piece and just couldn't stand it
After getting accustomed to my lightweight oval paddle. I actually use the paddle on regular
bases and not just on trips. If you do decide to go withe the ZRE, feel free to PM me, I might
be able for further help you.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Thanks Burchas,

I do in fact have a ZRE paddle (adjustable) and love it. It is now my go to paddle. I am seriously thinking of getting a second one later this year with a bit bigger blade. Not sure if you remember but you helped me quite a bit in deciding what to get when I bought my ZRE.

I think however for a travel paddle I’m going to stick with one of the three piece Werners. I really won’t use this travel paddle all that much. Maybe 3 to 4 weeks a year at most. Hard to justify the money layout for a ZRE with that much use.

One other question I have is around paddle bags for three piece paddles. The nicest looking one I’ve found online is by Fanatic (http://www.fanatic.com/product/3-piece-paddle-bag/), but I can’t find anywhere in Canada or the U.S. that sells it. Does anyone know of anywhere that would sell it? Or alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations on other travel bags for three piece paddles?

I’m just thinking that if I do like Burchas and take my paddle as carry on, and then I go to board a flight and they won't let me take it on, I would want my paddle in some kind of bag if it’s going to have to go as cargo.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »

I think however for a travel paddle I’m going to stick with one of the three piece Werners. I really won’t use this travel paddle all that much. Maybe 3 to 4 weeks a year at most. Hard to justify the money layout for a ZRE with that much use.

Of course I remember Quickbeam. Now that you've mentioned you're going to buy another
one later-on it makes even more sense IMO to go with it.

Save you're self the $250 on yet another travel paddle and get the all-in one ZRE
with the bigger blade which you'll be able to use the same way I use it as one of  the 2
go to paddles.

BTW, just updated the thread about this paddle with some new developments:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29916.msg347880/topicseen.html#new
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard