Author Topic: Admin: how about allowing bigger image files?  (Read 4776 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Admin: how about allowing bigger image files?
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »

Not sure if you have a suggestion box, but it would be great to be able to upload bigger images than 1MB. If you are concerned with space, then just resize it.

Just FYI, it is not a technical limitation for me to resize images, but it is a PITA to do it just to post an image.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Admin: how about allowing bigger image files?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
I'd also like to know the reason as well as to why the size limit is limited to 1 MB.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
Funny thing about this site is, the pics in a lot of the posts are so big that I can't view the entire photo. I can adjust this by using ctrl - but then the print is too small to read.

Apparently resizing photos is a hassle for some people. I've never had any difficulty with it myself but if allowing bigger files makes it easier to see the photos people post, I'm all for it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
What file sizes and resolutions are you working with?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »

If you resize the images then there is no reason to severely limits the upload size.
It would literally nail two flies in one...no more insanely big images that kills the layout, and we don't have to resize before upload.
:-)

It should be a small project. ImageMagick or GD and a plugin for PhpBB...something like https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2275146
..a quick config, then edit the php.ini and we're good to go.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
That would be a nice change to have them resize on the fly. PITA resizing just to post....although I have a batch process I called forzone for resizing below 1mb it would be nice to just upload. Of course I think admin would rather we host photos elsewhere and just link so we keep bandwidth needs down....at least that used to be the case.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

For the images uploaded to the Zone, we already do auto downsize to 800 pixels for the max dimension and there is currently a limit of 1 mb upload per image and 20 images per post.  It can add up fairly quickly but I will consider larger.  What sizes are you using? 

The second system which many users prefer is using one of the free hosting sites, many of which auto resize to a number of preset sizes which can then be posted here via image tag (Mona Lisa icon in the posting window) and to other forums and social sites all from one home.  We don't limit file sizes or dimensions for embedded files.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
You can specify the posted size with just a width parameter in the IMG like {img width=800}{/IMG} substitute square brackets for curly     

like:

400px

I put the files on my own sites, that particular one is 2.9 mb and the original picture is 4032 wide.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:58:33 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »

Above is an imgur link...but without the file extension it will not show the image. Its a bit hacky...but maybe I am too picky :-)

Sure..my issue is just with the upload....and mostly because I am too lazy to make the file smaller.

Admin wouldn't it be possible to use S3 as an upload repo...you wouldn't have to worry about storage space. Once the assets are old just move them to something like glazier.  I'm just brainstorming :-) Not a big thing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:57:30 PM by tautologies »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »
Hi Taut,

Please try posting using the file name ending with the image extension (in this case .png) http://i.imgur.com/4sIgLx1.png .

For your failed example above you had posted only http://imgur.com/gallery/4sIgLx1 without the extension.  With the extension and tags I get the image below (and I agree :)).

Taut, I know that you are aware of this but for other users, all current browsers will have an option to right click any web image and select "copy image address" (or similar).  That can then be pasted into a post.  Highlight that and hit the image tag.

Little known fact.  You can also drag a web image into a post and it will paste the address automically.  Littler know fact.  Go to this google address https://images.google.com/.  Drag any image into the search field to directly search by the image itself and find all web instances of that image (even if you change the name, strip off all metadata, paste in a partial image or even somewhat modify the image).  Now that is cool shit :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:35:05 PM by Admin »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
^ So that image with the Puffin is too big for me to read without scrolling it to the side. Is there any way to fix that?

Edit - Nevermind, "ctrl -" fixed it.

Pono's pics are still too big though. Except his first one.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:34:22 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
Please try posting using the file name ending with the image extension (in this case .png) http://i.imgur.com/4sIgLx1.png .

For your failed example above you had posted only http://imgur.com/gallery/4sIgLx1 without the extension.  With the extension and tags I get the image below (and I agree :)).

yeah I know I just wanted to illustrate my point.
Another point is that if one of these services goes down the drain you'll lose a lot of assets. Bit rot is real. :-)

Anyways, no biggie.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
Here you go:

{img width=400}

That's why I keep all my images on my own sites. It's the web, the content can be anywhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »
^ Thanks Pono.

Admin's photo is actually the perfect size. I just had to zoom the screen out one click and I can still read everything okay.

Your pic has the ability to enlarge by clicking on it which is a good feature. That way it gives you a choice of size and helps keep the thread more compact.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:32:22 AM »
a) it’s easier [for user] to just resize server-side

b) the biggest hassle when posting and forgetting pic limits,  is that when bounced one needs to retype everything. Bummer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal