Author Topic: Cold water immersion - Vid  (Read 17989 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cold water immersion - Vid
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:33:50 AM »
Probably recycled to death but still very effective.

in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cold water immersion - Vid
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
A great reminder Burchas, nicely done.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:30:49 AM »
Cold water is definitely not to my liking. At my 150 pound weight, I wouldn't last 4 minutes. Since I don't like wearing wet/dry suits, this is the reason I stay out of the water until it reaches my 66 degree F comfort zone.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JoniSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
Rather wait for warm weather...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Ice just went out last week. 5 trips on the lakes, started when the ice was cleared enough to get in some laps :D it's not much above freezing but if you don't go when it's cold, you don't go much. 10 miles this last weekend, Sunday it was 48 and blowing 10-12 mph - hard to get upwind but great exercise. I wear shorts and a rash guard - things that drip out the water fast if I fall in, I make a lot of heat  :D.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 05:46:37 AM »
always dress as tho you will spend time in the water--even if hot when paddling

and deepmud, pls take good care with your leashes--lose your board when poorly dressed for cold water, and shit can go bad fast
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »
That was a great video...humbling, for sure.
What are good pfd’s for SUP, other than the belt pfd?  This has been discussed before, I know.
I wonder if the cold water shock would make it difficult to even pull the tag on any style of inflatable?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
That was a great video...humbling, for sure.
What are good pfd’s for SUP, other than the belt pfd?  This has been discussed before, I know.
I wonder if the cold water shock would make it difficult to even pull the tag on any style of inflatable?

The bigger issue is you might not even be conscience to activate your inflatable PFD.
My go to sup PFD is the Vaikobi Ocean Racing, but there are few good low profile PFD's with full range of movement the will do the trick:
https://tcsurfski.com/product-category/pfds-life-jackets/
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
Burchas, that Nelo pfd looks interesting.  Very simple.  I like the Vaikobis, too—-maybe after I recover financially from the board.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
Burchas, that Nelo pfd looks interesting.  Very simple.  I like the Vaikobis, too—-maybe after I recover financially from the board.

Just ordered the Nelo, exactly for its simplicity. I'll have to see how it compares with the Vaikobi.
in progress...

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »

Just ordered the Nelo, exactly for its simplicity. I'll have to see how it compares with the Vaikobi.

Cool!  Let me know what you think.  If you can have a woman try it on, I’d love to know how it fits up top.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
Cool!  Let me know what you think.  If you can have a woman try it on, I’d love to know how it fits up top.

It is one size fits all so sizing is not an issue. I suspect it would would work better on individuals with bigger bust as the waist belt
alone should prevent it from running up even without using the leg strap. It would be much easier to test it now that a deep in the
water isn't considered cold water immersion :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:49:24 PM by burchas »
in progress...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
always dress as tho you will spend time in the water--even if hot when paddling

and deepmud, pls take good care with your leashes--lose your board when poorly dressed for cold water, and shit can go bad fast
I do go with a real, worn on the body pfd when paddling with ice. Inflatable pfd later plus sup leash for warmer weather like last week end. . You simply can't paddle hard and long distance in gear meant for staying in the water but you can deal with being wet if you fall in but get out quickly . No cotton. Quick draining/drying materials. Dry bag of rescue gear if you are more than 1/4 mile from the shore and actual rescue help. If you are used to cold it's less explosively stressful. I mean it awful but you can still function. Still too cold to scream, but I have done it often enough to know that I have about 30 or 40 seconds to pretend it's all going to be fine and get back on the board. Then I have about 2 minutes to get myself some help if I can't get out of the water . 911 on the phone or get to shore. So far I have been able to get back on the board. I have fallen in many times. But I agree, cold water is very serious. Lots of drownings here every year.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
Where are you, deepmud?

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »
Palmer, Alaska. The ice pic was from early April. It's gone out really early this year. My local lakes are pretty close to civilization :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:33:57 PM by deepmud »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal