Author Topic: SURFFOILS Hydrofoil Design  (Read 3913 times)

SURFFOILS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SURFFOILS Hydrofoil Design
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 06:46:39 PM »

I think foiling will be ripe for mass consumption soon, it's too dangerous and too expensive and at the moment and there seems to be a supply problem.

But....

Consider a video of Kai foil SUPping into small beach breaks with a group of kids and then tubes at Pipeline, bottom turns, snaps, hacks, airs and all on his new foils that only costs $299 and can be retrofitted to any surfcraft in an hour and suitable for boys and girls of all ages and skills. Made of safe polypropylene, the same plastic as kids toys. Available in every colour. Shipping within a day, guaranteed delivery to your door in 10 days. The perfect gift for the beach, lake, sailing or boating.

Now that's gonna sell.

SURFFOILS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 03:11:29 AM »
And if you can sell it for $39.99 at Costco worldwide then sales will be astronomical.

The market is not 50+ Surf Veterans, one day a month wannabes, brand concious hipsters or established surfers of any age.  it's the introductory youth market from 8 y.o. who are looking for something unique to their age group. Something to claim as their own sport.

Cheap, quick, fun and safe thrills that any parent can buy for an easy and cheap gift  is how you sell something so dangerous as foiling.

Not exactly what Laird would've thought as he took off in massive waves with the helicopters recording his heroic effort but if you want mass consumer acceptance,  the youth market is where it's going to happen.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 05:06:08 AM »
Oh, boy. here we go.

iopsailor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »
And after every well publicized bloody accident,  the manufacturers will come out with an improved safer design, for all the parents to run out and buy.  Rinse and repeat!

SURFFOILS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
Iopsailor, hopefully it would be a safe design from the start but that's the challenge to attract a huge market.  I think there's video of Buzzy Kerboxs young son on a standard foil but I wouldn't let mine on one.

The problem is that the basic current foil design came from the Air Chair which is a pretty dangerous looking Aluminium beast and it's been tweaked for the surf.
 Whereas some designers have started from a dedicateted surf design. Have a look at Gilbert Lums foil in Hawaii, so basic but this is a safer design to work from.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
like this

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 02:46:33 PM »
like this

Holy Gaylord Miller!

Crazy design for the early 1960's :)  I wonder who will collect the royalties.

http://mypaipoboards.org/GaylordMiller_Paipo_Foil.shtml

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
That plywood job is crazy.

Side note, but that color has disappeared from the world. My grandpa had a bunch of aluminum flat boats that color. Ugly as hell but it makes me nostalgic.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:27 AM »
Some cool designs that might fit the bill.  Possibly as a single for our uses?  This could be done clean, low, cheap and safe.  You likely would would want the whole deal well within the rails for safety.

Anders Bringdal CEO.  That is pretty wild.  Alain Thébault VP.

http://www.seabubbles.fr/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:32:47 AM by Admin »

SUPsports

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
Looks like Anders is part of a great team working on a worthwhile project, moving people to and fro in big cities where there are waterways...
Pretty cool...great concept...

Hard to believe that it was 15 years ago when I briefly worked with Anders as he was launching his AB+ line of waveboards on Maui with Maurizio Ubaldi...
His world record speed runs and big wave rides at Jaws shows that he definitely goes for it big time...hope Sea Bubbles comes to fruition...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
It's the Geezer Foil, with a box. I think I need to dispense with adjustability and join the foils under the board. It will make a big difference in mechanical rigidity.

I can't see for shit. I'm probably going to have to abandon you folks for a while. I have a double vision problem that just flared up over the last few days. Possibly connected to a virus I had recently, possibly other, potentially more serious causes. Anyway, pain in the ass. Getting an MRI today. Yesterday I could still see the computer clearly, but the images have separated more, probably from strain and muscle fatigue. So I'm going to give close work a rest.

Chat among yourselves for a while.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
It's the Geezer Foil, with a box. I think I need to dispense with adjustability and join the foils under the board. It will make a big difference in mechanical rigidity.

Hi Bill,

Yours is really cool and is very close (but with your L foils) to the parrot drone we talked about back here http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29628.msg322532.html#msg322532 .  Tons of stability at that width.  Anders and team did two cool things which might also work really well on a downwind sup or waveski.  The joined it all into a single small, closed, piercing deal as you mentioned.  The also narrowed it so that the whole thing is within the width of the boat (board in your case).  Think how simple the wood Clearwater foil kit would be for this one.  Three boards and strong as hell...or mold it out of anything :).

Feel better Bill!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:58:36 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »

I can't see for shit.

Not to worry folks, PB has a flair for the dramatic.  He's probably fine.

Seriously though PB, I hope it clears up quick.   

I've been thinking about the optic chiasm lately.  (A friend was chatting on about optical illusions).

When I studied it in school (briefly, I'm no doctor) the retina was only halved, now it looks like they call it fourths.  (According to one of those illustrations, anyhow).  Amazing machine we live in.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optic_chiasm
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
I'm wearing a patch. What's cool about it is that I can wear it on either eye!

What hump?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:20:34 PM by PonoBill »
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
Cool.  now put a monocle over it. 

Support your local shaper

* Recent Posts

* Recent Topics