Author Topic: Need a surfy board for choppy/moving water conditions  (Read 6927 times)

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need a surfy board for choppy/moving water conditions
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »
I have a Starboard 2013 Pro 9'x29" ( 118 liters) and love it for glassy to moderate chop days. On days with heavy chop and reflecting waves off the rocks or lots of moving water, I fall too much.  I’m looking for a more stable SUP surf board in the 8.5"-9' range.  I am 185 lbs intermediate/advanced range and wave size range is waist high to maybe a few feet over head, mostly beach breaks but some point breaks.  I do like Starboard boards for their durabilty yet still lite. Was thinking either Converse or Widepoint 8’8″ or maybe Pocket Rocket. How do these boards compare to 2013 Pro 9.0 n stability and surfiness? Suggestions for next board?
Wave
185 lb, 5' 10"
Starboard 9' Pro  (windsup option)
Mistral Pacifico Wave 11' (windsup option)
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket (windsup option)
Naish Hover Crossover 7'4" (windfoil, wingfoil, SUP foil, SUP)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need a surfy board for choppy/moving water conditions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:33:15 AM »
i dont know much but what about a Starboard Hero? 33" wide

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
Hmmmm I did not see that one. Thanks.  It is very stable most likely but a larger leap in volume  than what I was thinking at 9'.
185 lb, 5' 10"

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
Check out the SUP Sports WD Wide in maybe an 8'10 x 32, 150 L. We surf quite a bit in choppy conditions and my friends have had good luck with that shape. I like his customs the best. If you are looking for less volume with a similar l & w, he can set you up.

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/wd-series-sup/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:35:24 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
The Pocket Rocket is extremely stable in chop if you are 185 and on  9'0 pro. im 210 and for a long time was my only board even with full winter rubber in chop.

You arent going to get near the performance you do on a beachbreak.  If you like the shortboard shape of the pro- I would get something shaped like the pro but with some better dims for stability,

The pocket rocket surfs nothing like your pro and even though its stable youll find it very slow (as a thruster) and wont surf as verticlly in the pocket as your pro.  Great board -  but youll probably dissapointed at a high ability level on it

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
+1 to North Jerzy (Hero type board isn't for you). And moving dimensions of a  PRO aroiund will ruin the flow (feel of the board)

In the Starboard line I would consider the HYPERNUT a lot of maneverability in a stable platform you can push vertically

If you are interested we offer ZONER DEALs on theseand other boards

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
+1 to North Jerzy (Hero type board isn't for you). And moving dimensions of a  PRO aroiund will ruin the flow (feel of the board)

In the Starboard line I would consider the HYPERNUT a lot of maneverability in a stable platform you can push vertically

If you are interested we offer ZONER DEALs on theseand other boards

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Jim- Love ya- (and have bought several boards from you based on your reccommendations)- but the Hypernut surfs TERRIBLY vertically compared to any traditional surfboard shape. (I own one)

Loads of fun on fat mushy waves and does OK in the pocket on bigger stuff- but it has no drive compared to a pro, and finning it up so that it does takes away the skatey feel that makes it such a fun board.

Agree however that messing with dims is a sketchy proposal when done incorrectly on a custom from a production board.

In my quiver listed in my signature- my ' i want performance but still want stability' board is the RNB.  Super stable (Granted mine is a little too big for me and thats Why)- but it will still get in a pocket almost as well as my El Tigre which shape compares to the pro. and can be used in the chop.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
Good comments thanks. Makes sense to try and stick to similar shape to what I have(9'Pro). Being an engineer decided to look at numbers....Starboard also has a stability rating comparison. The ideal board would have the volume of Pocket Rocket, Stability of Converse and shape of Pro and maybe Converse. Hmmmm that board  does not seem to exist in the line up. Other than shape it seems to imply that Airborn 8'8 is the right board for me, but its shape is fairly radical shift.   Does look like a fun board though. Main fin set up is a quad with a very aft center fin option that looks oddly placed. I tried the quad set up on my 9'Pro and did not care for it as it seemed to make it a bit slower and harder to go vert. Thoughts on 8'8 Airborn?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:41:08 PM by wavesailorx »
185 lb, 5' 10"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Airborn is a fun board- I only have a few hours on a borrowed one however to compare.  Definetly the middle ground between Pro and PR.  DEMO DEMO DEMO..  while the board is more stable- you'll be really shocked what going from a 29'in width to 32'in width board does for performance on the wave.

In that same class check out the Naish Hokoa, Sunova Flow, or some of the Cannibal's if you are on the east coast.

I have no tie to Starboard- but I am 50/50 on their construction.  I had a manufacturer defect that was handled very poorly by them on one of my boards. But yes- very durable- IF they come out of the factory correct- and many don't if you do your homework.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the note on 8'8 Airborn. Yes, I am expecting  sacrifice for being able to stay on the board with lots of moving water. I am a weekender surfer and don't get to pick my days sadly so need to adapt. I have found getting a specific board to demo in SF Bay area is very tough. Wish that was easier :)
185 lb, 5' 10"

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
SF Bay.  I highly recommend contacting Kirk at L41.  He's based in Santa Cruz and makes amazing boards.  The construction is top notch.  He'd be able to zero in on the right size and shape for your goals, skill and home conditions.  He specialized in SIMS-base shapes, but also shapes traditional boards.  Two of my buddies ride L41s (I used to have one). Quality stuff.

http://www.l41surfcraft.com
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

mtnbkr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
I second looking into a L41. I use to be a Starboard Pro advocate owning 3  at 8', 8'5"' and the 9' you ride. I now only have the 9' for big double overhead days.
My first L41 I went with was a 7'8" x 30" 110L Popdart for what I thought small days but as I used it I found it will handle well overhead with ease. It's also more stable than the 9' pro, faster and just more fun. I haven't been on the Pro in months. I've scene added a 7'4" TV dinner for small days. Several of my friends who tried my boards have switch from pros.

Aloha Jeff

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
A shorter board does intrigue me as long as it is more stable than 9 Pro. Good inputs. I will continue to investigate and check out L41.  Thanks.
185 lb, 5' 10"

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
wavesailorx

You might consider looking into the Sunova Flow 8'7.... traditional shape that is very stable and rips.

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
For the records I thought I would close this thread out with my outcome. I bought a 2016 demoed Pocket Rocket 30" x 8.5', 131L volume. It is exactly what I was looking for and much more stable for messy water as compared to my Starboard Pro 2013 9.0. Pocket Rocket is rated 4 out of 10 in stability and Pro is rated 3.5 by Starboard. I would rate the Pocket Rocket a 4.5. I have surfed the Converse which is 5 rated by Starboard. It is not as well suited for surfing as the Pro, but still a good surf board and better in smaller mushy waves. It has the windsurf universal insert and I do carry a sail around for those truly blown out days. Thanks all for the tips.
cheers.
185 lb, 5' 10"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal