Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Hanalei  (Read 4156 times)

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis Hanalei
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »
Hi All,

I'm looking to add to the quiver this year and would love some feedback.  I currently surf on my 8'11" Allwave and absolutely love it.  For my next board, however,  I'm looking for something that has more of a long board feel.  I'd like it to surf great, but also be suitable for just cruising the coastline while looking for waves.   I guess you would call this an all around.  I'm told that the Jimmy Lewis Hanalei is a good option.  I'm 6'3", 205 lbs. so I think the 10'8" is a good size.  Has anyone here surfed on one?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Any other board suggestions?

Thanks

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Hanalei
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
I used to have one, the 10'-4", and sold it.  It's a very good board on the waves, and it does give you that long board feel, but it's a bit old school as far as SUP boards go.  When they first came out, 28 1/2" (as was the 10-4) was considered an average width, now days for a board like that, it would be a bit wider, more like 30"+, adding to it's stability.  I got used to it, and enjoyed it, but something a bit wider would make jumping onto it, and being comfortable right away, easier to achieved.
However, if you have found a good deal on one, and you feel solid with your skill, buy it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
Hi EMOCEAN,
Like you I have an 8'11 Allwave which I bought as a step down board from a 10'5 Starboard Widepoint. I decided that the Starbard was more board than I needed so sold it and got a 10'8 Hanalei instead. The Hanalei is an excellent board in my opinion (please note that I surf to a low intermediate standard, on beach breakers up to 3ft in the UK) and even though it's 3" narrower than the Widepoint it didn't take much time to get used to. The quality of the construction, deck pad, fins, boardbag and handle are top notch. It catches waves easily, surfs well and paddles great when it's flat.
The JL guy in th UK was really helpful when I sought his advice regarding which JL board would suit my needs (I also considered the Cruise Control) and I'm very pleased that I took his advice. Since then I've also bought a 9'5 Striker to complete my quiver (for now!). The Striker is a very different board to the Hanalei, but shares the high quality and fun aspects! It could be a board for you to consider as well as the new 10ft Striker?
For reference, I'm 5'8" and 82kg.
Hope this helps, and as I've said before, the choosing of a new board is such good fun!
All the best with you decision! Keep us posted!

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback WW and Supcy...great stuff!  Most people agree that they surf great, and are solidly built, with the only detractor being that they are a bit tippy. The 10'8' Hanalei is only 29"width but I think the added length will give me all the stability I need.  I need a little challenge in my life anyway.  I wish I had a line on one at a discount because they aren't cheap.  JL seems to have a nice footprint in the UK, but finding a dealer on the east coast (US) is another story.  I really want a board that surfs well and has the glide to get me on the waves further out as well as flat water cruise.  This board seems like a nice fit but I'm still open for suggestions.  You're right, Supcy, the choosing of a new board is fun!  I just want make sure it's the right board.  Have fun on the water and be safe!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »
We offer JLs here on the EC plus you'll get a Zoner discount
But IMHO although the Hanalia was a classic board there are aa lot of better options in JL and other lines
Give me a call 484 515 5758 after 3pm EDT

JimK
Extreme windsurfing

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
I will call you Jim, thanks.  I wish I could get down there this weekend to check out the Sunova boards but too much going on.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
Hi Jim,
Just being curious, but which boards would you suggest as other options to the Hanalei? The Sunova range has always interested me but can't quite decide which board would be the best match? The Speeed looks great as does the Style (and Soul!)-so much choice!
Many thanks!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
EMOcean

Looking forward to hearing from you to discuss JL and other options

supcymru

In the Sunova line you have a couple of great replacement options for a Hanalea
For a faster more stable option the ONE is perfect
If you are looking for classic longboard feel the STYLE will give you magic "Tip Time" and speed down the line with a little more stability
These are just the Sunova options there are others
We offer ZONER DEALS on everything
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply regarding the Sunova range. The Style does looks amazing. Your Zoner Deals always sound intriguing but unfortunately I live on the other side of the Atlantic in Wales, UK!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal