Author Topic: Back in the Hood  (Read 5498 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Back in the Hood
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Arrived yesterday with a sick wife in tow. Diane got a virus a few days before we left, which turned into pneumonia. Nothing showing in the chest Xray, but presenting all the symptoms. I got the same bug probably, but for me it's just a runny nose and cough. I'm unloading the truck and trailer today. What a job. Fully 2/3rds of the bulk is dog damage protection stuff. Diane covered about every sensitive surface in the Trout's house with something. And of course the dog behaved himself the entire time. I used to think I overdid stuff until I married Diane.

Good to be back in the Hood. The wind is pretty strong today, and I'm tempted to try to put together a cold weather downwinder, but I'd probably just prolong this sore throat crap. Besides, I'm still only halfway unloaded. If we do this again I'm going to insist on just a truckload--no trailer.

There's snow on all the hills. This is the earliest we've been back in HR, but it's very good to be back. LOVE THIS TOWN.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Back in the Hood
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
The only thing I can tell you about your Southern California trip is, you should have been here last year, or the year before that, or the year before that,...., or maybe next year. At least you got to have a small sample of Sunset Cliffs.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
I enjoyed the heck out of Sunset Cliffs. That was the best wave I found down there. I think my double vision is from the virus. This could clear up any time and I won't miss it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Stay away from that ice cream shop.  Not good for that virus.  Take oregano oil. 

And start oiling your knees.  You're gonna need them to ride that foil you're making.  Have you seen the vids?  Maybe get a pogo stick.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »

The Hood sounds like a really neat place. How about some pictures? All of these cool places you go to and you never show us what the scene looks like. We need pics!
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
My knee is in a race with my carpal tunnel and my double vision to be named "most irritating aspect of passing 70". The double vision has an early lead, but the knee is coming on strong. Time for a lube job when I won't be doing too much with it. My doc says I've screwed them up in the past by going too hard when the lube was just starting to work. Like hiking around San Francisco the day after, or doing two downwinders three days in a row the week after. Right now my big exercise is cleaning my shop, which I think compares well with cleaning the Aegean Stables as a labor of Hercules--but low knee impact.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »

And start oiling your knees.
Didn't someone around here know a guy who used to treat his knee pain by spraying them with WD-40?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
Double Mountain Brewery celebrated their tenth year anniversary last night. Pretty crazy. Closed off the street, had a bunch of bands, including Cracker. Didn't know who they are, but they sounded good.

Hood River is big on parties and closing off the streets. I generally just listen for music and follow my ears.

I like the idea of doing a video of the Hood. It will be pretty long, lots to show off here. Craziest town of 7,000 people I've ever seen. We have our own railroad! And of course the railroad station is next to the Springhouse winery and the Ruins (music venue) and runs up along the Hood River canyon. I'll work on it. Maybe I can get Admin to unlimber his Inspire2 and contribute.

We also raised enough money through contributions to add an Unlimited OC6 to the Hood River OCC fleet. Soon to be three standard OC6 and one Unlimited. 145 pounds instead of 400. Should be fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:20:05 AM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
Maybe I can get Admin to unlimber his Inspire2 and contribute.

I will be happy to help when I am not busy with my Geezer Foil 2 aerial documentary, GF2, Man in Tights.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
That would be a tear-jerker.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
Double Mountain Brewery celebrated their tenth year anniversary last night. Pretty crazy. Closed off the street, had a bunch of bands, including Cracker. Didn't know who they are, but they sounded good.

Hood River is big on parties and closing off the streets. I generally just listen for music and follow my ears.

Definitely seems like Hood River has it figured out!  As soon as I get a Subaru wagon and a dog I may apply for at least partial year citizenship ;)  Nice to hear it doesn't completely shut down in the off season.

Cracker has been around forever.  They're pretty odd but have some good stuff.  One of their most popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8rfFRvIH0

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
I know Cracker!

Fond memory. I also discovered Cracker by pulling a Pono.

I’d driven into SF from the Bay Area, where I was working at the time, for a Mazzy Star gig which was waaaay sold out. I had no idea what to do or where to go once I was in town (total nOOb, I’d just arrived) and noticed Cracker was playing which I’d heard on the radio. So I went. Whatever. I was there.

It’s one of the few concerts I’ve been to alone but it definitely  is the only concert I’ve been to where the girl in front of me took her pants off!

This pretty cute very hot chick was rocking away right in front of me and we were having a good time. Suddenly there was a total vib change and all these guys were buzzing and hawking around and kind of crowding me in. There was almost an audible Buzzzz in the air. I’m wondering WTF was up with that. Then I notice the cutie right there in front of me had taken her pants off and was dancing in her underwear.

Wow.

Sorry, I think I got distracted. What was the thread about?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:11:43 AM by yugi »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »

It would be cool if you could find a place where the paddlers come near enough to the shore where you could get some good close up video of people riding waves.

A drone would also work.

I keep hearing of all these great downwind places but have yet to see a decent video showing the big drops and awesome glides everyone talks about. I can only imagine what that's like.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »

It would be cool if you could find a place where the paddlers come near enough to the shore where you could get some good close up video of people riding waves.

A drone would also work.

I took these windsurfing shots 100-200 feet off shore.  We will try to get some good SUP video this summer.  This day would have tested the drone for sure:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24142.msg243617.html#msg243617

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
Best footage is from the side.

As in skiing: you just can’t see slope angle unless you take the shot from the side.

Drone pilots: same same. Front-high view can be impressive. But doubt that works for DW kind of waves. The up-behind shot is the one all pilots want to take (incl. heli’s) but it just flattens the view. Not so impressive.

Pono. Chat w/ Devin Re angles that work. She spent time with a great ski and windsurf photographer. Bet she knows this stuff inside out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal