Author Topic: SUP at San Clemente  (Read 5435 times)

OCsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP at San Clemente
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
I recently moved to south county. I spent the last 30 years surfing at Bolsa Chica and Newport. With the parking lot at Sano closed can any tell me if San Clemente state beach is sup friendly.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP at San Clemente
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
I recently moved to south county. I spent the last 30 years surfing at Bolsa Chica and Newport. With the parking lot at Sano closed can any tell me if San Clemente state beach is sup friendly.

Lowers is very SUP-friendly  ;)

Josh

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
You can SUP there. Might not be super friendly. I would recommend sup surfing north of the pier where the walking bridge is. Not as crowded, just watch for the boulders on low tide.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
You can SUP surf anywhere within the 'city' of San Clemente. The state park beaches which are Doheny SB, San Clemente SB, and San Onofre SB have specific rules regarding surfing with a paddle in your hands. Doheny, south of the hammer is OK. San Clemente State Beach (Calafia and south) No SUP. San O, from Dog Patch and south is OK. There are a few little gaps of enforcement at some specific breaks. Paddle out at North Beach and head south. You'll find various breaks all the way to about a mile south of the pier. As Josh said, watch the hidden rocks from south of North Beach to the pier. It's worth a walk down the beach or beach trail through that section at low tide to see where the rocks are.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

OCsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  I am familiar with Doheny and Sano. I may give the area near the walking bridge a try.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
I LOVE SC my son use to live there (a great reason for surf trip)

If you are staying in SC The Beachcomber overlooks the Pier (fun SUP spot) and down to T street Not a regular hours SUP spot But Dawn and Dusk ou can pick off some killer waves

Also going North in SC of course the northside of thepier but that gets crowded in the summer with Surf Schools You can move all the way north the North Beach which on the righttide works and its neighbor spot 204"s can be a little local but with respect and skill SUPs do fit in.  Lastly a little drive out of town and there is fun day of SUP surfing at trail 4 or 6 but its a haul w/SUP up and down the cliff trails

All in all just stay at the Beachcomber SUP the pier and you'll have a ball

Wish I was going too but this summer its Maui

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
I got a lot of stinkeye at the pier, but I'm so used to it that I feel slighted without it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 08:33:58 AM »
Jim - my wife has a class in West Hollywood the first week in August - so I have to stay somewhere nearby there for 2 days, the other 3 days we can pretty much go wherever and I want to SUP surf obviously and maybe just drive up and down the PCH.

I'm looking at the Beachcomber Inn, looks like a great spot, any other info for the Dana Point/San Clemente area?

I may bring my board, or does Infinity/Hobie have any rentals? I would love to try out different boards while I'm there.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
I don't want to go giving free advice, but If she's in West Hollywood I might offer that you stay closer to there unless she wants to drive and hour and a half each way to SC each day.

There are a ton of hotels in Hollywood or the west side and you can head to all the breaks from Santa Monica to the county line.

Admittedly, SC is much nicer and I may have misunderstood that you're going before or after her classes.

Out here I hate when visiting friends are like, "we're in LA, come see us!" You ask, where, and they say "Irvine!" It turns out they are in LA like Boston is in NYC. ;)

Lots of fun paddling up North. PM me if you end up here for part of your stay and I'll give you some spots.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
I don't want to go giving free advice, but If she's in West Hollywood I might offer that you stay closer to there unless she wants to drive and hour and a half each way to SC each day.

There are a ton of hotels in Hollywood or the west side and you can head to all the breaks from Santa Monica to the county line.

Admittedly, SC is much nicer and I may have misunderstood that you're going before or after her classes.

Out here I hate when visiting friends are like, "we're in LA, come see us!" You ask, where, and they say "Irvine!" It turns out they are in LA like Boston is in NYC. ;)

Lots of fun paddling up North. PM me if you end up here for part of your stay and I'll give you some spots.

Yeah, we are going to stay in Hollywood or somewhere around there for the days she's in class, but we will probably stay 3 more nights and want to get out of LA. I'm debating going north or south for those days. When she's in class I'll definitely need some spots - I've been to Sunset Point and the Manhattan Beach Pier along with Bolsa Chica in Huntington. Would like some spots further north if possible.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
Hit me up man. I'll hook you up with some tips.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal