Author Topic: SUP at San Clemente  (Read 729 times)

OCsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP at San Clemente
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
I recently moved to south county. I spent the last 30 years surfing at Bolsa Chica and Newport. With the parking lot at Sano closed can any tell me if San Clemente state beach is sup friendly.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP at San Clemente
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
I recently moved to south county. I spent the last 30 years surfing at Bolsa Chica and Newport. With the parking lot at Sano closed can any tell me if San Clemente state beach is sup friendly.

Lowers is very SUP-friendly  ;)

Josh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
You can SUP there. Might not be super friendly. I would recommend sup surfing north of the pier where the walking bridge is. Not as crowded, just watch for the boulders on low tide.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Get on your board!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
You can SUP surf anywhere within the 'city' of San Clemente. The state park beaches which are Doheny SB, San Clemente SB, and San Onofre SB have specific rules regarding surfing with a paddle in your hands. Doheny, south of the hammer is OK. San Clemente State Beach (Calafia and south) No SUP. San O, from Dog Patch and south is OK. There are a few little gaps of enforcement at some specific breaks. Paddle out at North Beach and head south. You'll find various breaks all the way to about a mile south of the pier. As Josh said, watch the hidden rocks from south of North Beach to the pier. It's worth a walk down the beach or beach trail through that section at low tide to see where the rocks are.
It may be overhead to you, but it's waist high to me.

Learn Shape 3D or share your Shape 3D knowledge here- http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27553.0.html

OCsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  I am familiar with Doheny and Sano. I may give the area near the walking bridge a try.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

JimK

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Windsurfing
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
I LOVE SC my son use to live there (a great reason for surf trip)

If you are staying in SC The Beachcomber overlooks the Pier (fun SUP spot) and down to T street Not a regular hours SUP spot But Dawn and Dusk ou can pick off some killer waves

Also going North in SC of course the northside of thepier but that gets crowded in the summer with Surf Schools You can move all the way north the North Beach which on the righttide works and its neighbor spot 204"s can be a little local but with respect and skill SUPs do fit in.  Lastly a little drive out of town and there is fun day of SUP surfing at trail 4 or 6 but its a haul w/SUP up and down the cliff trails

All in all just stay at the Beachcomber SUP the pier and you'll have a ball

Wish I was going too but this summer its Maui

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
Jim Karabasz
Owner EXTREME WINDSURFING
www.extremewindsurfing.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
I got a lot of stinkeye at the pier, but I'm so used to it that I feel slighted without it.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

* Recent Topics