Author Topic: New Starboard inflatables  (Read 2696 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Starboard inflatables
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
Oh man these look goooood.  Thoughts? 

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Starboard inflatables
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Looks great. I've never spent any time on an inflatable, but I've been dreaming about one for camping trips. Seems like an awesome platform to fly in somewhere interesting, maybe Thailand or Baja, do a week or two of paddle camping, while hitting small towns along the way for a night to grab a cold beer, shower, and some good food. For Thailand maybe find an outfitter to help with the logistics/pickup, or if in Baja just take the bus back to the airport. Now I just need to figure out how to get away from my wife for a two week mid winter vacation. Maybe in about 10 more years my 3 year old boy will be up for an adventure like that.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »
I've paddled a # of inflatables including Starboard but these look like a pretty nifty upgrade from last year.  I've been debating between Starboard, Naish, Red Paddle Co and a few others.  I'm an apartment dweller and that's not going to change anytime soon so inflatable is the only option. And yes the travel ability is a huge plus. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:28:37 AM »
Hard to get too excited about a bag of wind, but these look like a very useful upgrading. The new deluxe bag looks particularly good, assuming that the zip is strong (is that a metal zip I see there on a bag that will carry wet stuff? If so, WHY???). It is a challenge to get the board back in the older style Starboard tube bags, which would get very annoying if you have to do it every time you paddle.

Would be good to see the new race boards. It looks like Starboard has responded usefully to the challenge laid down by Red Paddle. It would be good to compare the stiffness and weight between equivalent RP and SB boards directly by putting them on stands and standing on them.

Were there any details in this vid about air pressures?

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »
For 2017 Starboard have really stepped it up. The Deluxe construction and package is basically on par with Red Paddle Co. Red Paddle Co have them beat in the fine details - RAM mounts, paddle slots in bag etc.

Fusion construction, carbon rails, super trick looking HD fibre infused PVC looks the business. (Can be seen on underside of Atlas Deluxe in video below.) Fusion construction brings weight right down by 20%. I thought the carbon rails were a bit gimmicky at first but once inflated they are rock hard like a real carbon board, so they work like the RSS Battens on a Red but over a longer distance and just roll with the board when deflated. The bag looks and feels awesome. Like a spilt Dakine travel bag in quality. All Deluxe boards get FCS tool-less fins.

Some of the bigger Zen boards also get the FCS tool-less fins. Zen bag for 2017 is like the Deluxe bag of last year. A bit fiddly but with back pack straps and wheels now.

To answer a few of the questions: The Deluxe bag has a very sturdy metal zipper, sewn in inside out so the material covers the zip on the outside. No issues getting the board in this bag. I think it is a little big but there is no fight to get the board (12' x 33" x 6"), paddle, pump, leash in this bag.

I haven't got my hands on a Racer but they all use the 6" Deluxe construction plus a double deck stringer, rather than single and an EVA tail wedge for better water release.

Inflation: Recommended inflation pressure of 15-18PSI. So Red Paddle Co still have them beaten here but I've been paddling the 12' Atlas Deluxe (I'm 190lbs) and it has been very solid underfoot. I'm actually grabbing it more than my 2016 10'6" Ride on the flat days...

Zen's remain the price point board with Starboard quality, but with the Deluxe boards, game on with Red Paddle Co.

All inflatable Starboards for 2017 (except Hyper Nut) come with a light weight leash. Emphasis on lightweight as in not suitable for anything other than flat water, no waves, no strong current, no white water use at all.

I have reviewed the 2017 10' Whopper Zen over here and that covers a few of the details: https://greenwatersports.com/8503/review-of-the-2017-starboard-inflatable-10-whopper-zen-paddle-board

Review includes this walk around video:

I'm currently writing my review of the 2017 12' Atlas Deluxe but you can see the walk around video here:

Full range of Starboard here: https://greenwatersports.com/shop/brand/starboard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:52:12 AM by Green Water Sports »
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »
FYI I'm just totally internet armchairing it here, I have no experience on inflatables. But for an apartment dweller they look great. I have a big slow dw 14' board I was going to get rid of because it's big and slow, but makes a great all arounder, and I can put my 3 year old son on it and paddle around. Seems a big inflatable would work just as well for the same reason, but would be easier to store, and could drag it around for vacations.
Those new SB look great as far as the construction, weight, and features. The Red Paddle company Explorer 13'2  board has an optional nose fin, which might make distance paddling in funky conditions a little easier. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. But I bet either would make a great all arounder flat water board.
For surfing I think I'd just get a smaller regular sup and get good at moving it around the apartment.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm not planning on heading out to the surf.  This would just be for flatwater touring/cruising. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal