Author Topic: Fishing SUP Recommendations  (Read 24455 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing SUP Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
I have been wondering about a fishing SUP as well, thanks for starting this thread.

The standamaran or dual hull seems like it would be more stable and easier to paddle at the same width as a blown up SUP.  Every really wide SUP I have been on is a beast to paddle.

Anyone have any experience?   

Also something like a Pattino, a stand up row boat, seems great for fishing.  Anyone tried one?
Check out Live SUP. I'm currently not into SUP fishing, but I did get to paddle the L2Fish. Pretty cool concept imo! My only complaint was the weight when portaging.
http://www.livewatersports.com/
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »
I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations for plans for a diy build in wood strip or otherwise for a board to by used primarily for flats fishing but could also work in calm ocean water as well.  I am new to this but have much experience with wood.  Please in lighten me.
Thanks
I don't know much about them, but you might want to also check out Cedar Boat Works for some DIY wood kits and custom options.
http://cedarboatworks.com
I've heard Bote is currently the market leader for fishing SUPs.
These brands also make some nice fishing specific SUPs...
Boardworks, JP-Australia, Pau Hana, Riviera, Yolo
Starboard's Sportsman is also really nice, but it's now discontinued...
http://star-board-sup.com/2017/2016-sportsman-fishing/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:58:59 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
Don;t know about rest of world manufacturers... but here in Sunny South Florida "fishing capitol of the world" there are a few fishing specific boards.

You have to decide what you need, I fish form a beater Riviera Voyager and it works well for me so long as its not choppy. I mainly fish and search very shallow and very clear water sight casting for very spooky fish that are nicknames the grey ghost.

For what I see as a near perfect fishing paddleboard the DragonFly comes in top of the list. Its built by fishermen who build shallow water fishing boats. Similar process 2 part mold, gel-coat laminated/layered with fiberglass cloth and vacuum infused vinyl-ester resin. Its tuff as nails, quiet as a mouse, has a very pronounced v-hull with a recessed deck.
The only draw-back for me is it on the heavy side, but that's apersonal issue for me, its listed at 45 pounds but with deck padding, the 5" hatch, and fin its more like 50 pounds. DragonFly has the 13'6" as the main fishing platform, but also has a couple other models. Look up PalmBeachPete, Pete Hinck, youtube channel for lots of videos and information hes the spokesman. DragonFly is a direct to customer operation out of Vero Bch. Florida.

The L2Fish is a close competitor different build process although still a tuff hard shell, but with the catamaran like hull design. The L2 has some standard track mount hardware that is optional on the DragonFly. Similar in weight and may paddle a little easier. LiveWater Sports is the manufacturer and operates out of Clearwater area of Florida, although not sure where the boards  are actually built. Live WaterSports also has a 14' version.

Then Cayo has 2 models the 138 and 122, 13' or 12', made in Pinellis Park (Tampa) area of Florida, also builds shallow water boats and is a direct to consumer operation. These boards are build more like a standard SUP, EPS foam blank, CNC cut to shape, glassed and resin.

After that Bote whose marketing, mass production, and distribution has the name recognition. They have several models the Rackham 12 and 14 (previously the AHAB) specificly built as a fishing platform, plus the HD 12 which has less volume but many of the similar features of the Rackham. Bote's, until a month ago were all same construction as the standard SUP, EPS Foan blank, shaped, layers of fiberglass cloth, epoxy resin, filled/smothed out and painted with paint similar to automotive paint. Great looking boards, paddle well, and many attachment options and simple add on accessories.

The EPS/Epoxy build process is much less tuff than the hardshell builds when dropped, jammed, smacked into a rock, or submerged object like oysters rocks pipes or logs. There is nothing worse than a puncture or tear in the hull of an EPS board with water intrusion issues.

Recently Bote released a version of the HD 12 built with a different process using a material they call "GatorShell" that is supposedly tuff as nails, but adds a few pounds to the product doing so. The EPS 12' HD weighs 38 pounds, the 12' HD in Gatorshell weighs 54, this looks promising waiting for a Rackham version.

All of the above list out somewhere between $1800-$3000

Many other models seem to come out labelled as fishing SUP's, but most just don't seem to last. I'm

After that there are many many others products made using the roto-mold process similar to kayaks.

It all comes down to what you want or need. I need skinny, quiet, less than 40 pounds, ability to stand and see to make a cast... if I win the lottery I'll have DragonFly build me a custom hybrid Gelcoat/Kevlar-Glass board, or possibly CarbonFiber.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal