Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 17619 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
I would love nothing more than letting my car drive me where I wanted to go.

Imagine an enjoyable late night dinner in the back seat, followed by 2 Negra Modelos and waking up across the border at my secret spot X?

Que bueno.

You and me brother! Surf, handmade tortillas, beans, eggs and Modelos. Let the antonomous driver car pay the Policia off.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:24 PM »
Si.

Diane and I had lunch at the Rider's Club this afternoon. Could have used an autonomous car after that. Had to settle for a walk to wake up.

Great hamburgers. Pretty much the best I've ever had except the ones I make myself that are ten bucks worth of beef per burger.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
not a fan.  I suppose they will be better drivers.  but to me it is sort of the first step in  giving up on simply doing things.  There is  a great deal of pleasure on doing things for your self. That being said I see an  enormous amount of people who would benefit from  this.   But it isn't for me all of the time .   I could see some benefits  sometimes though.

I drive a jeep  sometimes I change my mind about where I want to go and this dirt road looks interesting hmm.   So what does a self driving car do there. I am sure it would figure it out. Meanwhile humans get dumber and dumber.   

Check out the Boston Robotics  you tube videos. Now consider the warnings of many such as Steven Hawking about AI.   now look at those robots.    it is not to hard to imagine terminator from there.. Just think  100 years go science fiction  then has become  reality  now.

There was a story some Many years ago about  a contest to predict the future of transportation  this is as I recall before flight. The winner predicted  airline transportation.   Th point is what we see as sci fi now has a way of becoming the real in the future. 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
Already many have no clue how to drive stick.  Have no idea what is heel and toe.  Have no idea how to adjust throttle - braking - and turn in to maintain control.  That was all lost with ABS and ESC and TC etc.  Many have no driving skill at all.  See it all the time in the city and up in snowy mtn roads.  In the ditch everywhere with AWD and AS crap tires - and no clue how to really drive properly.  Turn off all the electrics and it would be a massive mess out there in snow and rain.

Take away even more -> and these peeeps will have even less skill.  In some ways that is good.  Less risk on the road.  So in that way -> def can see a need and benefit.  Many of us have max discounts and no accidents etc.  Hmmm - wonder why?     ???

Would prefer we could fly in an automated car - or be transported.  Beam me up Scotty!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
I'm also not a fan of self driving vehicles. The bottom line; I want to be in control of a vehicle when I'm alone inside itwhich means I want to be "behind the wheel steering the vehicle when it's moving".

As far as I'm concerned, self driving vehicles are "a disaster waiting to happen". In other words, "Murphy's Law". And I'm guessing, self driving vehicles will eventually become a hacker's target as in the IoT's.

Being in control is a relative term....with 35000 people dying in traffic accidents every year in the US alone...the term "in control" takes on a completely different meaning.

I can't wait until my car can drive on its own.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
Was told that a very large % here actually have the max insurance discount.  Which was oddly very surprising.  Many have the 43% claims free discount applied for many many years.  The ones that cause the most accidents were of course -> young new drivers.  They are penalized huge and pay a hefty surcharge.  For those similar -> they should all be mandated immediately to own and use a self-driving car!  Some that have DUI convictions need to install an engine cut-out etc.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:08:43 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
"One problem with trusting autonomous vehicle software to control a two-ton car (or a 16-ton semi-tractor truck) is that each manufacturer programs its product differently from its competitors. And, if a software glitch exists in one vehicle, it exists in the entire line of cars or trucks."

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3171160/car-tech/heres-why-self-driving-cars-may-never-really-be-self-driving.html

"It has been suggested that insurers will act as a middleman for manufacturers so that anyone injured by an autonomous car can claim against the owner's insurance and not have to file a private liability claim against the car maker."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/23/uk-government-vehicle-technology-aviation-bill/
Fast is FUN!   8)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
Si.

Diane and I had lunch at the Rider's Club this afternoon. Could have used an autonomous car after that. Had to settle for a walk to wake up.

Great hamburgers. Pretty much the best I've ever had except the ones I make myself that are ten bucks worth of beef per burger.
You got me thinking about Riders Club. I had to go there today for a burger. Soo good. I had mine cooked medium with roasted green peppers and Havarti cheese.
It's not overhead to me!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
I'm also not a fan of self driving vehicles. The bottom line; I want to be in control of a vehicle when I'm alone inside itwhich means I want to be "behind the wheel steering the vehicle when it's moving".

As far as I'm concerned, self driving vehicles are "a disaster waiting to happen". In other words, "Murphy's Law". And I'm guessing, self driving vehicles will eventually become a hacker's target as in the IoT's.

Being in control is a relative term....with 35000 people dying in traffic accidents every year in the US alone...the term "in control" takes on a completely different meaning.

I can't wait until my car can drive on its own.

Then we are in agreement to disagree because neither one of us will ever change the other's mind on this score.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
"It is a formidable challenge to define the algorithms that will guide AVs confronted with such moral dilemmas. In particular, these moral algorithms will need to accomplish three potentially incompatible objectives: being consistent, not causing public outrage, and not discouraging buyers."

https://techxplore.com/news/2015-10-self-driving-cars-ethical.html

"The answer to questions about safety might come down to how much we trust self-driving cars, regardless of how many lives they can save, Rahwan said. For example, if autonomous vehicles save the lives of thousands of motorists but cause fatalities of cyclists and pedestrians to increase, the public's trust in the technology is likely to erode."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/89634817/the-big-moral-dilemma-facing-selfdriving-cars

Def if you want to give control over to some software program.  Do it.  Can just imagine sitting in a car and thinking -> Bad move.  Real bad move...  Nope not for me either.  All yours.  But 90 yeah -> after they take my license away for poor vision and hearing.  Haha!
Fast is FUN!   8)

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Yup.... ok, I give up....

I guess what we need to do is, research ALL the ways that people die and put an end to every one of them.
SUP, surfing, mowing the lawn, reading a book.... and how many people die getting laid each year?
My God.... the horrors!

Then we need someone to tell us what we shouldn't be allowed to do, because we are not perfectly qualified. A Tzar of American imperfections.

If I was a hacker bent on reeking havoc in the USA.... I'd be praying for a grid of self driving vehicles.... the bigger the better. "ALL CARS.... accelerate and turn left!"

How much freedom, fun, and enjoyment has the Automobile given to generations of Americans?
America is in love with it's cars, for many very good reasons.

I hate the idea of a future where parents can retrieve their kids, simply by sending the "get home" code to the car... so much for "Summer of 42" in the  backseat

Lets just turn over every fricking interesting aspect of our lives to government control...... for safety.....for the children!

Crap... I gotta get old and die fast, while we're still actually living. :-X

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
That's the thing. For a HUGE selection of society, driving isn't fun. The research is undeniable about how bad commuting in cars is for health & well being. Not everyone is cruising on a date, or are driving to the beach. Never mind the fact there are a lot of people who can't drive.  I have one friend who can't get her license due to a medical condition. This tech is going to have a huge positive impact on her life.

And the lives lost and injuries due to car accidents can't be compared to sports & recreational activities (or mowing the lawn). Maybe one day, we won't be allowed to take control, but for a long time it'll be our choice.  Having the option will be amazing.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
There are times I like driving. Along the beach, in the snow or just four wheeling. But young drivers are more interested in texting or fondling their phones, then they are watching the road. It makes sense for them.
It's not overhead to me!

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
There are times I like driving. Along the beach, in the snow or just four wheeling. But young drivers are more interested in texting or fondling their phones, then they are watching the road. It makes sense for them.

I'll swing both ways there.  When I'm driving to the coast to go surfing, I love being behind the wheel.  But at 8:30 on a Monday morning on the way to work in city traffic, I'd rather be on my phone browsing through The Zone!
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Crap... I gotta get old and die fast, while we're still actually living. :-X

Well, that's one solution. I doubt you get as much pleasure from actually driving your car as you pretend. Especially in traffic on the cape. Stick your board on the roof, climb in, take a nap and you're there. I've driven and owned a lot of the really fun cars in the world. Five percent pleasure, 95 percent tedium. Even in a Ferrari. Unless you drive it to be seen.

You really don't need to worry about it. You're old. you don't need to rush off, you can drive whatever you like. Kids two generations down the pike are the ones that will never drive, and they'll think people who did were silly, careless and stupid.  I'm pretty sure they'll find places to get laid.

I wish it were coming sooner, because I'm old, and I want a 4G car.

Generally it's like SUPs. The people who haven't tried it have a million reasons why it's bad, most of them based in some nostalgic notion of a past they didn't really have. People who have tried it say "wow, I could get used to this". It feels better than having someone drive you--more trustworthy. Odd, but true.

No one has brought up the ethical dilemmas--does your car protect your life at the expense of others? What happens when it's one of you vs. ten others.

I can build any number of artificial constructs if I want to write a pithy and contrary article. But really the likely required demonstrable level of safety means the occurrence is unlikely.

It's not really constructive to think of them as algorithms. the basis is machine learning, which embeds response in tested data, not some string of "if there's a dog in the crosswalk, do this".  By the time we have level 4 autonomous cars everywhere they will have billions of miles worth of data and extracted learning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal