Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 17615 times)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Self-Driving Cars
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I'm a big fan of where self-driving cars are headed and what it means for a large portion of society.  The potential short-term effects on jobs is scary, but I'm confident we'll adapt (maybe all the workers who rely on driving for a living can move into the coal industry Trump is re-booting?).

For those interested, here are two impressive demo vids....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfgjemwc9NU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMvgtPN2IBU
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of driving. The less I do, the happier I am. I live at the beach, so I drive very little. Can you say "chauffeur". Even better if it doesn't talk and take up a seat. A car with no front seat and a bed, all the way to Mammoth. Or better yet Whistler. Forget texting and driving, just bring your laptop and a pillow. Sounds great.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
Wonder how the DUI laws will handle them....
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
I'm also not a fan of self driving vehicles. The bottom line; I want to be in control of a vehicle when I'm alone inside itwhich means I want to be "behind the wheel steering the vehicle when it's moving".

As far as I'm concerned, self driving vehicles are "a disaster waiting to happen". In other words, "Murphy's Law". And I'm guessing, self driving vehicles will eventually become a hacker's target as in the IoT's.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
I also like to be in control and I like to drive. Not in traffic mind you, but I like to drive in most other circumstances. Having said that though, I also know a day will come when age will dictate that I can no longer drive, and I would love to still have the mobility of a car, even if I’m not able to function behind the wheel. I’m guessing it will be a while before that is allowed, as I’m sure for the first few years they will only allow fully functional drivers even in a driverless car. But I can image that one day this is going to be a major benefit to those that for whatever reason are not able to drive.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
^^^ that kinda scares me.  How it responds in an emergency situation is the big unknown for me.  Give it 3 risks to consider and make a split second choice.  Also snow and inclement conditions might cause major problems - etc etc.

Give me what I have right now.  That is perfect for me.  Seems all of the fun of sport driving and carving fast turns will be history.  Maybe if 90 that might be ok though.  ;D

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:16 PM »
Self-driving cars are going to save lives, reduce emissions, and provide added mobility to many.  And we don't need to worry about losing the fun of driving. In our lifetimes, we'll always be able to go manual if we want.  win-win-win
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:24:21 PM by surfafrica »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
We won't see the real benefits if we are still able to take manual control. Human nature being what it is and knowing that you can pull in front of an autonomous vehicle = lots of them being cut off.....especially in Boston where a turn signal is already considered a sign a weakness.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
To add a little more for myself. The bottom line for self driving vehicles is a "trust issue" and I don't trust a self driving vehicle whether being in one acting as a passenger or when I'm manually driving my own vehicle and one of these SDV is coming towards me in the opposite lane.

I never jumped on the battery operated vehicle bandwagon and I won't be jumping on the SDV one either.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
Give it 3 risks to consider and make a split second choice.  Also snow and inclement conditions might cause major problems - etc etc.

Yeah, windy roads alternating between wet, thick slush, and black ice with huge puddles and potholes...animals jumping in front of you.......I am already a horrible passenger with someone I  know is giving it their all.
I can imagine going along in the slush.......windshield gets splattered from something passing....just keep on going without turning the wipers on cuz you don't need them I guess. Hell, might be nice not to see what's really going on sometimes.

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »
If I can go to sleep in Seattle and wake up in Tofino (or Whistler) along with 10 million+ others we will need autonomous boards.

20,000,000,000,000,000 calculations per second (+Moore's Law) w/ radar,
car-to-car position, speed, wheel position, brake status, ... gyroscopes
Slush vs landing a rocket upright.

Tech is starting to change faster than society's adaptation capacity.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:17:52 PM by Salish Salt »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
I'm absolutely all for it but we have to have the human element gone to make it safer and to make it really efficient. When all the vehicles are talking to each other and the need for all the human design elements are gone...except for pedestrian areas. What does it cost to maintain traffic signals, signs, road paint, etc...? Vehicles will move faster, be closer together, making existing roads more efficient. They'll change lanes when it makes sense not speed up to get around that school bus and then cut off the little old lady to make their exit. They'll share destinations on highways and form trains to reduce energy consumption. All kinds of benefits to having that added time. I've commuted to Boston for almost 20 years, Foxboro for 7 and Providence for 6.....roughly calculated....870 days of driving :o :o :o  Being afraid of autonomous vehicles is unwarranted if we don't let people drive.

And think of the side benefits....no more bank robberies......of course by that time we won't have physical banks anyway.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:26:19 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »
...especially in Boston where a turn signal is already considered a sign a weakness.... :)

Ha!  Made my day.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
I enjoy driving--in a race car, where everyone is going the same direction, no one is drunk or distracted, and everyone has passed driving tests that would eliminate 99.9% of the current drivers on the road.

Everyone believes they are an above-average driver. Delusional. If you're driving for pleasure on transportation roads, pushing your grocery getter to some high percentage of its performance envelope, then you are not only breaking the law, you're endangering yourself and everyone around you. You're not a good driver, you're a hazard that doesn't understand the limitations of your car. The better the car, the bigger the problem. There are no transportation roads that can safely permit a Ferrari to achieve more than 20 percent of its performance envelope. The sightlines are too short, surfaces too unpredictable, and there are distracted idiots driving in the opposite direction, not to mention kids, dogs, and delivery trucks turning left. 

Yes, I know, you're special.

The reason why Formula 1 restricts the amount of control of race cars from the pits, is that a robot could drive a Formula 1 race car much better than Lewis Hamilton. Under any conditions. Ask any engineer--an autonomous race car would dust any human driver, with millimeter precision and reaction times measured in nanoseconds. The fastest human reaction time ever measured is 0.101 seconds, and the average is about .2 seconds. An autonomous car could sense a limit and react to it a few million times in .1 seconds.

I've driven a self-driving Tesla. I can now easily tell a self-driving car from a human-driven one. The self-driving car is the one keeping an adequate distance, signaling for every lane change, making safe and decisive passes, and staying precisely in their lane. In other words, the much better-driven car.

Once autonomous cars become common, I predict the  $500 billion dollars in insurance burden for the 1.3 million deaths and 15 million serious injuries per year in car accidents (3300 deaths a day) will fall on the people who continue to drive manually--because the autonomous cars won't be participating in accidents. You have to build a really stupid autonomous car for it to perform as badly as the average driver. At full level four autonomy the car will be a much better, much safer driver than any human can be. Add in the ability for all autonomous cars to share data and you have a system that is absurdly more capable. Once we have the technical ability and sufficient data to build level four cars it would be morally unacceptable not to do so. The human cost of manual driving is horrific.

Get ready to pay your true share in insurance if you put a hand on that wheel. Won't happen in five years, but at typical fleet replacement cycle times (shorter in rich countries) I expect half of the cars on the road will be autonomous in 20 years, and probably all of the big trucks, delivery vehicles, taxis and emergency vehicles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
I would love nothing more than letting my car drive me where I wanted to go.

Imagine an enjoyable late night dinner in the back seat, followed by 2 Negra Modelos and waking up across the border at my secret spot X?

Que bueno.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal