Author Topic: Learning to fly - Warning - Goofy Drone Stuff  (Read 4998 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to fly - Warning - Goofy Drone Stuff
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »
Brave boy. I've hardly touched mine since I got back to HR. I've got grandkids for the next week, which will curtail my stuff-building efferts, so probably a good week to go play with drones.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning to fly - Warning - Goofy Drone Stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
Thanks Admin, that's a great video.

I hadn't considered the extra challenges, such as landing.   

The quality of the video is spectacular.  The elevation and distance from the target is exactly what I envisioned.

Years ago I was on the superferry, returning from Oahu to Maui.  It was a very big tradewind day, big enough to rock that massive catamaran into barf mode as it headed upwind. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Superferry

It had a tiny outdoor area, about 10 people could stand outside.  I spent a lot of time outside, gazing at the swell action perched about 40 feet up.  Ocean swells are hard to figure out, but there was a pattern to those big monsters and the feeders.  My theory is that all windswell is similar, just on different scales.  It's hard to figure out the ideal line from sea level.

We had spectacular wind on the south shore yesterday.  The current was contrary and set up short period steep faces that had to be carefully managed before attempting to accelerate across the faces.  So, on the ride back to the top, it usually boils down to the same old conversation, "I've seen (insert pro here) go easy, wait, wait, wait, go easy... then get on a big, crossing swell and ride it forever.  Then I don't see them anymore.  The only exceptions for me are Dane Ward and Jeremy, because they occasionally stop.  But it's always the same script, patient, relaxed, then one glide and gone..."

So, the overhead from a distance will give a great perspective on the best glides among the surface distractions.  That's where the pros excel.  That's what I want on video.  The only thing that convinced me to slow down was video with telemetry overlay.  My average speeds soared.   

Beasho is getting some good telemetry on his adventures at Mavericks.  Surfboards are blazing fast.  My ideal training vid for downwind will be a big view like your video, zooming in and out, maybe a picture in picture down in the corner with the paddlers' view and telemetry.  I've seen pro surfski coaches trying to explain downwind strategy and waves within wave faces a few times.  I know what they mean, but it took years of seat time.

Swell strategy is a black art, but good info will help steer us all in the right direction.  We need to give pro coaches better tools than furrows in beach sand. 
Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal