Author Topic: The road to 5G  (Read 7308 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The road to 5G
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
I'm not sure what 1 ms latency means? Latency to where? Satellite is minimum 500-plus ms latency - it's like 535 ms for the "about speed of light" signals to get from the earth to the geo-synch'd satellite and then the satellite to somewhere with another earth station, and back again.  Ping from Alaska to Seattle tied directly to fiber  is like ...20 ms or so (about 2000 miles undersea) . Pinging from my home to work is about 4ms - I could see this coming down. Pings to India are 50 ms. I work in telcom - I get to work on 10g, 100g, some 500g circuits  - what's supposed to connect all this 100g cellphone traffic together? Fastest backbone is still glass as far as I know - with DWDM we can get a lot of bandwidth on the fiber - but are we expecting the 100g to be "bursty" enough that the total bandwidth isn't 100/1000 times more that we can carry now?

For instance - if I upload this post at 100g, it's not going to take long :D - it's still only 50k or so of text - plus a burst of more ads downloading as my page loads up ....

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
I just saw this article http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2017/03/27/apple-cellular-watch-iphones-usb-c-among-among-susquehanna-tidbits/ suggesting that the next apple watch will be getting cellular via Cat M1.  It is pretty neat to see Cat M1 showing up (even if only in rumor) for devices already.  Here comes the internet of things 5G style.  Auto telematics, etc are about to make a huge leap...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
This is exciting too. 

Godspeed Elon, you crazy bastard.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2017/03/elon-musk-post-series.html
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
I could use a little neural lace on my brain to hold things together.  What is Neuralink's role there?  Are they assembling the neural lace talent or going wide with multiple related technologies?  Interesting to say the least.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
I'm not sure what 1 ms latency means? Latency to where? Satellite is minimum 500-plus ms latency - it's like 535 ms for the "about speed of light" signals to get from the earth to the geo-synch'd satellite and then the satellite to somewhere with another earth station, and back again.  Ping from Alaska to Seattle tied directly to fiber  is like ...20 ms or so (about 2000 miles undersea) . Pinging from my home to work is about 4ms - I could see this coming down. Pings to India are 50 ms. I work in telcom - I get to work on 10g, 100g, some 500g circuits  - what's supposed to connect all this 100g cellphone traffic together? Fastest backbone is still glass as far as I know - with DWDM we can get a lot of bandwidth on the fiber - but are we expecting the 100g to be "bursty" enough that the total bandwidth isn't 100/1000 times more that we can carry now?

For instance - if I upload this post at 100g, it's not going to take long :D - it's still only 50k or so of text - plus a burst of more ads downloading as my page loads up ....

I wonder the same thing, though there's an awful lot of fiber. A read a paper a long time ago that said communications would eventually leave the linear model and be totally nodal. That speed in a mesh is a function of the number of nodal connections times the backbone speed.  My memory of the concept is fuzzy, but I recall it making sense to me at the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:38 PM »
I could use a little neural lace on my brain to hold things together.  What is Neuralink's role there?  Are they assembling the neural lace talent or going wide with multiple related technologies?  Interesting to say the least.

Tim Urban is the man, can't wait. 

This pic was buried in the tweets to Elon.  Existential risk indeed.  Humanity can't be trusted to keep nitwits out of the oval office.  AGI, ASI is inevitable anyway.  Dickwads like Trump are a valid reason to mash on the accelerator, IMHO. 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:34 AM »
A bit spotty on what Neuralink is but Neural Lace (I saw that mentioned) is very cool.  I read about that when it made the tech news a few years ago but you never know which magic is going to pan out.  http://gizmodo.com/scientists-just-invented-the-neural-lace-1711540938.  This is brain direct connectivity via an injectable mesh that grows onto the brain.  Eventually the result could be: no input devices required, no viewing devices required. Brain>Network>Whatever.  Needless to say, wireless advances that are coming online now bring a new dimension of possibility to all of this.

This is from a couple of years ago:

A group of chemists and engineers who work with nanotechnology published a paper this month in Nature Nanotechnology about an ultra-fine mesh that can merge into the brain to create what appears to be a seamless interface between machine and biological circuitry. Called “mesh electronics,” the device is so thin and supple that it can be injected with a needle — they’ve already tested it on mice, who survived the implantation and are thriving. The researchers describe their device as “syringe-injectable electronics,” and say it has a number of uses, including monitoring brain activity, delivering treatment for degenerative disorders like Parkinson’s, and even enhancing brain capabilities.  Backers include Fidelity Biosciences, a venture capital firm interested in new ways to treat neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s disease. The military has also taken an interest, providing support through the U.S. Air Force’s Cyborgcell program, which focuses on small-scale electronics for the “performance enhancement” of cells.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:41:27 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
What's the word on when Satellite communications will get more bandwidth and lower latency?

Bandwidth could improve, but latency is limited by the distance and speed of light... it's never getting lower. I don't see satellite internet ever being useful for except for really remote areas where providers won't bother investing in terrestrial equipment. And atmospheric hot spots like balloons and drones would be a lot cheaper to launch, maintain, and move to meet demand.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
Latency isn't nearly as important as bandwidth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 02:01:01 PM »
Latency isn't nearly as important as bandwidth.

Depends on the application/protocol. High latency in voice communication causes disjointed conversations as each side has to wait for the other's last words to be delivered before responding. It also reduces the effective throughput, even on high-bandwidth connections, of any application that uses the TCP protocol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal