Author Topic: surf mat v1  (Read 6971 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: surf mat v1
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Pono, glad to return the favor. You've cost me a bit in carbon and resin over the years. ;)

I have 2 little waves right now that are unmakeable on any board that these things will eat up.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
But yeah, that glue, crazy. Outside and with a mask or else I'll be on the news, naked in the streets.

Last week I was gluing up some seams on my dry suit using Aquaseal thinned with Cotol, toluene free, but still got plenty buzzed. 

Like many on the Zone, the surf mat was my first surf vehicle too, great memories except for the tittie rash. ;D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
It's coming along. Should finish tomorrow or tues. Got the baffles in, got the valve and both long sides. Just closing up the ends and I'll have a desert camouflage mat.

It's been pretty quick, only a couple of hours all in and not a hassle. Wore a respirator and kept the garage open and I didn't even get a whiff of glue.

I'll post up some build pics when I'm done.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »
Must be a combo of SUPSports and SurfCowboy. Nice memory though All Wet. My Dad was a fine swimmer too, and most family vacation days were at the beach, where we'd be in the water every possible moment. We called the onset of hypothermia "getting used to the water" as in "It's not cold once you get used to it".
Remember thinking sweatshirts would work like a wetsuit and spearfishing for hours..... :o hands, feet and lips blue....good times. I can't wait to make Aria a Hawaiian sling....good spearfishing and lobsters off the rocks near the new house.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:02:56 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
Hilarious #fail when I went to air up my mat. Um, some of these coated nylons aren't airtight. Oof!

I kept looking for a leak and then I put it in the tub and the whole thing was spouting bubbles. Wel...

Got some 70 denier heat sealable nylon on order (I'm still glueing it up) and I hope to get it done in time for this damn inversion layer to warm up. This one was too big anyway. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »
Must be a combo of SUPSports and SurfCowboy. Nice memory though All Wet. My Dad was a fine swimmer too, and most family vacation days were at the beach, where we'd be in the water every possible moment. We called the onset of hypothermia "getting used to the water" as in "It's not cold once you get used to it".
Remember thinking sweatshirts would work like a wetsuit and spearfishing for hours..... :o hands, feet and lips blue....good times. I can't wait to make Aria a Hawaiian sling....good spearfishing and lobsters off the rocks near the new house.

You want to extend the torture to another generation, eh. I remember shaking like a leaf in Dad's big ol' Pontiac, with the heater turned to eleven and the plastic softening. Dad couldn't stay in the car because it was so hot and we were still shaking. Deep into hypothermia for sure. Fun though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal