Author Topic: Trip report - Nosara Paddlesurf  (Read 5282 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Trip report - Nosara Paddlesurf
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

I just returned from a week at Nosara Paddlesurf camp and had a great time with a first rate outfit.

First the accommodations, which were very nice. They usually limit the guests to 8 people for their week long camp, but there were 9 in our group. We all stay in a newer resort that has 4 rooms with 2 queen beds in each room so the can accommodate couples or two friends. They serve outstanding meals and snacks and have a pool and a bar with a small fridge so you can store beer, wine, whatever.

Schedule, coaching, and SUP gear. They totally wore me out, but in a good way. I need to point out that the instruction is all about SUP surfing. Typical day was breakfast, 1st SUP session, relax, lunch, coaching, 2nd SUP session, dinner, relax and crash early. They had 4 instructors for us, so they divided the group by skill level and experience and gave everyone individual coaching. Our group, which is pretty average, was divided into four groups: 1) absolute SUP surf beginners ( a couple who only paddled a few times and never in the ocean), 2) Competent SUP flatwater paddlers with little ocean experience, 3) Some SUP surfing experience, and 4) Several years of surfing and SUP surfing experience. The coaches worked with us before each session, paddled out with us and commented on the waves we caught and didn't catch, and during the coaching session,  talked about what we did right and what we did wrong. They filmed the AM sessions and we reviewed the videos on detail. The instructors were together on their specific method of SUP surfing, which was different from what I've been doing during the past 10 years of self taught SUPing. They had a wide variety of gear with the majority of boards were carbon Infinity round nosed Blurrs. I rode an 8'5" X 31. Nice boards but I missed my 8'10" Sunova speed. But no transport issues, I just brought carry on and still brought more than I needed.

Surf. The resort was within walking distance to the main surfing beach in Nosara, but we mostly surfed a beach they took us to which was 15 minutes away. We were always the only ones there. There is a river there, so they took the beginners on the river the first day. Each group went to a different peak that suited our skill levels. It was a beach break, which I rarely ever surf, and really try to avoid, but when in Rome...  On the last two days, there was a bigger swell and we SUPed a reef point break that was shoulder to a few feet overhead and had 100, 200 yard rights. Again, never saw another surfer there. 

Conclusion. Great SUP trip and I'd unequivocally recommend to anyone who want to improve their SUP surfing. It worked great for the couple that went with me, he's experienced and she's a beginner. There are few places they would both have a great SUPing experience.  Everything was top level and I learned an incredible amount. Now I need to practice changing my bad habits and polishing my new ones.

nosarapaddlesurf.com
facebook.com/nosarapaddlesurf

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Trip report - Nosara Paddlesurf
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
You make a strong argument Tom, and I don't want to argue  :)

Supgobes, is that you in the "Feet on the Centerline" video at at 2:30?  http://www.nosarapaddlesurf.com/sup-coaching-videos/
While not crystal clear, it's a goofy foot with your silhouette.

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
You make a strong argument Tom, and I don't want to argue  :)

Supgobes, is that you in the "Feet on the Centerline" video at at 2:30?  http://www.nosarapaddlesurf.com/sup-coaching-videos/
While not crystal clear, it's a goofy foot with your silhouette.

Hey that is me.  I never knew I was a star.   ;)

I also highly recommend Nosara Paddlesurf.  I will be down there in less than two weeks.  It will be my third time there.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
Nice review Tom, sounds like a fun destination.

How many surf breaks are there near the Camp? Reef breaks, beach breaks, point breaks?  Also when not with instructors can you just go and surf free lance or is it all organized?
Thanks for more info...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
Sounds great....I'm interested too. As part of this years vacation negotiations I get to plan a SUP surf focused trip next time. Sounds about perfect...my wife likes to surf some but doesn't like me telling her how and definitely isn't interested in bigger waves.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:02:04 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »
Caribsurf, There is a beach about a 5 minute walk and you could go there without the instructors, but you'll get plenty of surfing in during the two a day sessions. They give you Wednesday off to do whatever, and everyone in our group felt it was a welcomed relief, although, the SUPs were available to take out. There also are many places you could rent a  prone board in town. The beach in town and the spot where we mostly SUPed is all beach break and we were lucky to have the right conditions to get the two sessions at the reef (point) break.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Stoneaxe, I highly recommend it for all levels. The couple I went with really liked it because she was a beginner in waves and he was advanced. Just let your wife know that its all about SUP surfing. My wife likes to flat water paddle and has no desire to ride waves and she would not have had a good time.

I'll post some pictures later that they took which might give you a better idea of what they offer.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
The beach break 15 minutes away, with a river there -- Ostional?
The reef point break -- Garza?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »
I'd love to have her surf with me more but getting her to the next level has proved difficult. A good instructor and some easy waves would help build her confidence which is the biggest issue. She's gotten more timid as we've gotten older which has frustrated most attempts......a bit weird because she used to charge hard at stuff like this...hard core waterskiier back in the day. I can't understand why she gets mad at me when I tell her she drives like a little old lady...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Stone, Nosara would be perfect for your situation

SUPJorge - Boca, Yes Gaza- talked to a few local surfers and they don't surf there. Too far to paddle out. It will probably remain a SUP only spot.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
Stone, Nosara would be perfect for your situation

SUPJorge - Boca, Yes Gaza- talked to a few local surfers and they don't surf there. Too far to paddle out. It will probably remain a SUP only spot.

I was down there in end of july to august with a bluezone mini camp .  Gaza definitely has its local prone crew and i would proceed like any break where you are a outsider.  Eric from paddlewoo took us out 4 or 5 times during the week we came down. We used a boat a few of the times and got to check out the other waves in the area.  His house is within walking distance to it but the camp house is in playa guiones . He definitely gave me the impression that it was a more localized spot in the area?   One day it was too big and the waves reformed inside the bay for another weird break .  In fact playa Guiones was so big most of the days that it was pretty difficult to get out . 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
That really looks like the place to go.  Maybe I will, if my bride doesn't squeal too much.

I wanted to make another hostel vacation to Hawaii again, too, with my now (ex) neighbor Tony.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 03:06:45 AM »
What did the week cost you, all in??

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
The   price  is  on  the  website  and  their  are  no  hidden  costs . They  even  take  you  out  to  a  great  restaurant  one  night . Wifi is  included , they  drive  you  to and  from  the  airport , and  you  can  keep  your  own  beer  or  wine  in  their  fridge .  On the  one  free  day , lunch  and  dinner  is  on  you .

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
P, I was there at the same time, with my gf, Daniela. In fact, I think we may have met at Garza and then surfed together the following day at Guiones.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard