Author Topic: Streaming Video with Sound at the Place where I Sup Surf  (Read 7358 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Streaming Video with Sound at the Place where I Sup Surf
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:38 AM »
I live in Texas, 90 miles from Galveston, Texas. Down on Galveston Island, there are a few streaming video webcams. One of the places I sup surf at Galveston is at the 43rd Street Jetty. The waves aren't big there, but my Hammer likes these waves.

Anyhow, back to the cams. At the link below, you can move the camera around as usual. All you have to do is click on the camera icon in the bottom right corner of the window. If there are any people ahead of you, the camera icon will tell you now many. When it is your turn to move the camera, the position notification will appear in the upper right corner of the streaming video window and there will lots of different camera positions in the drop down menu so look for that. BTW, your session with the camera is 2 minutes long.

In order to the view the streaming webcam, you'll have to disable your adblocker for the site. There is an ad that will play for 8 seconds and then disappear and it won't come again while you're on the site. Also, the chamber of commerce has added a new feature to the camera. It has added "sound" so you can hear the roaring surf and hear the calling seagulls. I find this feature very relaxing. It's just too bad the chamber of commerce can't find a way to let me smell the sea air while I'm listening to the roaring surf and calling seagulls.  ;) Oh, almost forgot. I like to view this webcam in full screen. Enjoy.

http://www.galveston.com/surfvideocam/

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming Video with Sound at the Place where I Sup Surf
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »

What's going on with all the brown/yellow water bubbling up like a geyser?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
Buncha wind on it today, N-W. I gather that's not uncommon for coastal TX.  I wonder how often they need to clean the lens?

For many years I've relied on this outfit to get me an idea on how-nice-it-is in FL.  They even have Ocean Beach in SF ...my daughter walks there - on nice days.   Lots of 'cool' cams in New England also.

http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/webcams.htm

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
Cool, somewhere new to check out. Would have never thought to. I could actually see myself visiting now and never had a desire to. Other places to go first tho. 
I will check out different places sometimes. Always seems to be this time of year as well. Beaches, cities, whatever I might think up. Wonder what Tokyo looks like right now?
Poof.........there I am. Amazing what we can do.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »

That sandy brown water is the "normal" color for our beach water because the water near those jetties is so shallow. You can walk out about 50 yards from the beach and you'll only be in waist deep water. The Gulf of Mexico near the shoreline on the upper Texas coast is very shallow water. Those small waves just churn up the sand on the bottom. The visibility of the water, with water like this color, you wouldn't be able to see 3" below the surface because of all the sand in suspension. We call the color of this water, "chocolate milk" for obvious reasons.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
What's intriguing about Galveston Bay is the freighter surfing... looks sooo fun... In Puget Sound they slow too much...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
Buncha wind on it today, N-W. I gather that's not uncommon for coastal TX.  I wonder how often they need to clean the lens?

We don't get too much wind. Most of our wind on the beach is usually between 5-15 mph. It is very windy down at Galveston today. The storm which is dumping on California, we are going to get the leading edge of it coming in later tonight (Sunday) or very early on Monday morning.

Earlier this Sunday morning, the lens on the camera was crystal clear, but the wind and the salt spray off the beach is carrying moisture in the air and the lens is clouding up. I'm hoping the lens gets cleaned Monday afternoon when our weather front coming in from the west finally passes. At my home, the local weather man is forecasting rain accumulation during the next 24 hours of between 2"-4".

BTW, you've got some nice beach cams to look at the link you provided.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:00:42 PM by Night Wing »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
What's intriguing about Galveston Bay is the freighter surfing... looks sooo fun... In Puget Sound they slow too much...

If want to surf the tanker traffic in the Ship Travel, you have to know the schedule of the tankers both coming and going. I use the link below to follow them and the link below is for my area. You have to do a little navigating to find your area.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-94/centery:29/zoom:10

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »

That sandy brown water is the "normal" color for our beach water because the water near those jetties is so shallow. You can walk out about 50 yards from the beach and you'll only be in waist deep water. The Gulf of Mexico near the shoreline on the upper Texas coast is very shallow water. Those small waves just churn up the sand on the bottom. The visibility of the water, with water like this color, you wouldn't be able to see 3" below the surface because of all the sand in suspension. We call the color of this water, "chocolate milk" for obvious reasons.

I guess you didn't see it. The camera was focusing on a spot high up on the beach where water appeared to be coming out of the sand probably from an underground pipe. It was gushing out with tremendous force like a geyser, maybe 10 feet high and ten feet wide. People were gathered around watching it.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:38:55 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
@Badger

No, I didn't see that. The city of Galveston is working on the beaches to try to alleviate beach erosion. You can see that in a different webcam which is the "Sand Cam". The The Sand Cam link is below and you'll have to turn off your adblocker to view it. Unfortunately, there is no sound with the Sand Cam and you only get 1 minute of time to control the camera. Remember, when it's your turn, the camera positions are in the upper right corner of the window.

http://www.galveston.com/sandvideocam/

I don't sup surf near this beach.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »

I checked it again this morning. On the original cam you posted, there is a list of different camera directions to look at. In the "sand Cam Dredge" shot, you can see the water gushing out of the dredge pipe. That's what it was. Mystery solved.

The surf looked pretty good there today, but a little windy. Nice and warm at 63 degrees. We should start getting some 60's here in a month or so. Can't wait to put away the 6/5 and get back into a 4/3 again.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:39:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
There are other places to sup surf at. The two links below, you have to turn off your adblocker, there is no sound, but you can control the camera. The first cam is at
Babes Beach" which is a hot spot for the ladies when the water and air temperature is warmer.

http://www.galveston.com/babes-beach-video-cam/

The second one is at East Beach and you can see the waves really good here, but there is no camera or sound. This is a good spot to sup surf at, but it's about a 200 yard walk to the beach.

http://www.galveston.com/east-beach-videocam/

When I go to the Bolivar Peninsula, I like to sup surf the mushy waves at Bluewater Beach and Sunrise Beach. With the mushy type of waves at these two beaches, I usually have the waves all to myself since my Hammer can surf these poor waves quite easily. There is no camera to control at these two beaches and no sound. But you "don't" have to turn off your adblocker to view these two streaming webcams.

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Bluewater-Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Sunrise-Beach

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
Fun to look at Web Cams around the world. I look at the Lahaina Fish Co Cam a lot, and also at my local which is only still pictures. These are the areas I surf the most.

I am going to be in S. Texas at the end of March. We will be in SPI for a few days, and I will surf if there is surf. It looks like there are a few rental outfits around - any recommendations Night Wing? I can prone or SUP, but based on the wave size I see on Youtube, SUP might be a more  fun option.

It also looks like there is some windsurfing on Laguna Madre- I'm an advanced beginner at Windsurfing, if I could find a big cruiser that would be cool too.

Any other recommendations in the area- we are just mostly looking to relax and warm up.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
@SUP Leave

South Padre Island is a good place for prone and sup surfers. There are a few streaming webcams down there. The link below has a good number of streaming webcams on their website.

http://www.southpadrelive.com/

As for rentals, I don't go to SPI. It is about 500 miles, one way, from my home. Here are links below for some rentals.

http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/rentals/stand-up-paddle-board-rentals.html

http://www.southpadreislandwatersports.com/page-paddle-board-rentals.html

http://ehbrahsup.com/

And now for a closing treat for you. This very short promo video for SPI should wet your appetite for prone and sup surfing. In the video, the woman can really nose ride a prone longboard surf board. Lots of slow motion action in this much too short video. South Padre Island is a great place to surf whether it be prone or sup. In my opinion, the best waves are near the jetties. Just watch out for the Portuguese Man O' War jellyfish. And the juvenile bull sharks.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18Dh-0ja6U

I hope this info above helps you out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:19:39 AM by Night Wing »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
Google got rid of the webcams layer in Google maps but you can still see it in Google Earth...it's also in the map gallery for Google maps but you'll have to find it and bookmark it. So silly that they've gutted maps from what it was earlier...used to be much better than it is now.
Here's a screen cap of Google earth with cams layer turned on...also surf spots, dive spots, kitesurf spots, shipwrecks, marine protected zones, etc....you get the idea. The webcam.travel map in Google earth is also available here.
http://www.webcams.travel/map/#lat=0.000000&lng=0.000000&z=1&t=n and another llist of cams is here.
http://www.earthcam.com/
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal