Author Topic: Streaming Video with Sound at the Place where I Sup Surf  (Read 7359 times)

supthecreek

Re: Streaming Video with Sound at the Place where I Sup Surf
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
Nice to visit your beach Wingman!

Looks like a busy place in season.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
@SUP Leave

Below is a ling for the beach water temperature at Port Mansfield at South Padre Island. Right now, the beach water temperature is above 70 degrees F. You can almost surf/sup surf all year round without a wet/dry suit.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8778490

Keep the link handy and you'll know what to expect........if you want to surf/sup surf in shorts.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Nice to visit your beach Wingman!

Looks like a busy place in season.

The best place closest to me is at Surfside, Texas and the waves there are about head high too. Unfortunately, Surfside has the worst webcam of them all. Such a pity. In fact the webcam for Surfside has been down since Dec 5th, 2016 which you can see in the link below  :(

http://www.netsurfing.com/surfcam/index_orig.shtml

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
@SUP Leave

Below is a ling for the beach water temperature at Port Mansfield at South Padre Island. Right now, the beach water temperature is above 70 degrees F. You can almost surf/sup surf all year round without a wet/dry suit.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8778490

Keep the link handy and you'll know what to expect........if you want to surf/sup surf in shorts.

Thanks for the help. I would love to get in some surf with trunks on! I rarely get on my 3/2 here in the PNW ocean. Sometimes for SUP and never for prone.

Make paddleboarding great again!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
I didn't realize there were so many breaks down there. Tanker surfing is on my list of things to do when my wife and I start our retirement and travel the country... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »
@stoneaxe

If you come down to do some tanker surfing at Galveston, Texas after you and your wife retire; the best place is between the North and South jetties in the Galveston Ship Channel.

BTW, the ship channel is very, very, very wide and the ships do travel a good clip speed wise so they produce some big waves which you should be able to surf ride for a long time.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
@SUP Leave

Another good place you might want to check out is at Port Isabel. The link to the beach water temperature there is below.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8779770

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »
Hey nightwing, have you tried the tanker wave yet?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
@surfinJ

No, I haven't tried sup surfing tanker waves. I think my 8'11" Hammer is a little too short to paddle fast enough to catch a tanker and surf it's bow wave. In order to catch a tanker wave, I'd have to head out at a 90 degree angle to the tanker's bow to intercept it. This will alow me to get close enough, then turn parallel to the ship's bow and then ride the wave. The problem is, the Galveston Ship Channel is very, very wide and those tankers "boogie" when they're motoring down to the Gulf of Mexico or heading into the Port of Houston.

In my opinion, a longer sup is needed if you're going to try and intercept a tanker from the shore. But I would surmise the Coast Guard might have something to say about "surfing a tanker wave" if you get my drift because of the safety implications.

On a side note. Before I got interested in supping, I was fishing for speckled trout on the North Jetty on the Bolivar Peninsula. There was one guy sup surfing a tanker wave. He eventually paddled over to where I was fishing and started up a conversation with me. To make a long story short, I asked him how long his board was and he told me it was 11' in length. I wish I had asked him how wide it was because his board didn't look very wide to me.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
You've got that right about the board needed. A set up like that with a larger wave a ways out in a large takeoff area is no fun on a shortboard.

I've seen videos from the river showing the wave being ridden so maybe the "policing" elements are ok with it.  I think the ideal way would be to charter a small boat to take care of drop off and pickup. That and some sup rentals and it might make for a nice Zoner adventure.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 04:20:33 AM »
@surfinJ

Your post about tanker sup surfing yesterday piqued my interest. So I did a "lots" of research yesterday and late into the night on tanker surfing in the Galveston Ship Channel. I found out this is very common for prone surfers in our area who do it all the time and it should be easily adaptable for sup surfing.

I'll start another topic because I came across some good videos for surf/sup surfing tanker waves which seem to be a cure for the lack of downwinding activity on the upper Texas coast off of Galveston because of our general wind and wave conditions which aren't conducive for downwinding.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
Nightwing, we need to chat. If your on FB, join the group "sup and foil the Texas surf"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
If your on FB, join the group "sup and foil the Texas surf"

This is going to Off Topic for this thread.

I do not have a Facebook account and I do not want a Facebook account either. If you're wondering why, I do not like the way Facebook tracks everyone on the internet whether a person has a Facebook account or does not have a Facebook account and I can prove it. I'll explain below.

I had heard through the grapevine that CEO Mark Zuckerberg wanted to track every computer user on the internet which includes Facebook users and those people who did not have a Facebook account.

I thought a CEO of any company wouldn't be that stupid. But in my lifetime, I've learned "Stupidity Knows No Bounds". So I decided to put Facebook to the test to see if the rumor was just a rumor or if it was a fact.

I use the linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce distro as my daily operating system. In the linux Mint repositories, there is a utility program named, "Domain Blocker" and it is listed under it's geek type name, "mintnanny". Domain Blocker is not installed by default in Mint 19. I had to install Domain Blocker through the Synaptic Package Manager.

Once I installed the Domain Blocker program, I added these two addresses to it and after adding, I saved the two addresses. They were:

www.facebook.com
facebook.com

By placing Facebook's address (domain), no matter what linux browser I use in Mint 19 (Pale Moon 27.9.3, SeaMonkey 2.49.3, Firefox 61.0), I cannot connect to Facebook's server and Facebook's server cannot connect to my computer.

With the above said, on some of the sites I visit on a regular basis, I will be scrolling down the page and sometimes in the middle of the page or on the left or right sides of the page, I see a window which states:

"Pale Moon (which is my default linux browser) cannot connect to the server at www.facebook.com. The site may be down for maintenance or the site might be busy......blah, blah, blah. Try again later."

Since I found the Facebook rumor of tracking non account Facebook users all over the internet is absolutely true, I developed an intense dislike for Facebook since I don't think it is ethical for Zuckerberg to track people who do not have a Facebook account all over the internet.

I listened to Zuckerberg's comments when he went to Washington for those hearings concerning Facebook's privacy, where he was asked about Facebook's tracking of people who do not have a Facebook account. Zuckerberg said Facebook needs to keep track of people who do not have a Facebook account for "security reasons".

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/11/facebook-shadow-profiles-hearing-lujan-zuckerberg/

As soon as I heard Zuckerberg say Facebook collects data on people who do not have a Facebook account based on security purposes, I immediately got a vision of Zuckerberg (the vision must have been from sipping on 6 ounces of George Dickel #8 Tennessee sour mash whisky, without any ice in the glass, at the time). The vision was; I could see Zuckerberg in the old (and now disbanded) Soviet Union where he was "the head of the KGB".

Sorry for the long rant, but I trust Facebook (and Zuckerberg) about as far as I can throw a 10,000 lb elephant......and I'll leave it up to your imagination how far I can throw a 5 ton elephant.

BTW, I do not have Twitter or Instagram accounts either.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Never mind and thank you

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal