Author Topic: Fatigue, shoulder tension  (Read 4299 times)

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fatigue, shoulder tension
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
Last couple days of paddling really felt like shoulders were loading up and fatiguing ... experiencing generalized fatigue so bonking at the end of short paddles - 4.2 miles (half into strong current) I've had periods like this before where I experience general fatigue for a couple weeks and it's baffling me why it happens. Note: my chemistry is weird any way - I've had severe depression since I was 20 which is adrenal related so this post could be answering my own question ... BUT... wondering if anyone experiences noticeable low energy periods during their paddling seasons. I started last July and paddle 4-5 days a week 4-6 miles each session. Probably no answers but if anyone has a recovery/maintenance supplement they like... I welcome any suggestions. (aside from electrolytes... I use those already. Thanks!
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fatigue, shoulder tension
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
Stefan, your shoulders fatigue can be well related to the length of your paddle - too long. But since you mentioned that you feel fatigued overall - i would look into your diet first. What's your macros split? I think that many issues can be resolved with simple diet changes. For example, if i do a longer paddle i prefer to not eat at all and rely on my fat storage to provide me with long lasting energy. But if I have a little bit of carbs by mile 5 i feel gassed. That switch in our bodies from glycogen to lipids sometimes can be very tiring. So that could be one of those things. But many other factors could make you tired too.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Stefan, your shoulders fatigue can be well related to the length of your paddle - too long. But since you mentioned that you feel fatigued overall - i would look into your diet first. What's your macros split? I think that many issues can be resolved with simple diet changes. For example, if i do a longer paddle i prefer to not eat at all and rely on my fat storage to provide me with long lasting energy. But if I have a little bit of carbs by mile 5 i feel gassed. That switch in our bodies from glycogen to lipids sometimes can be very tiring. So that could be one of those things. But many other factors could make you tired too.

Thanks, I was a bit tanked going into the paddle... and it is quite possible that my chemical imbalance is featuring a bit strong right now. Also I may not have let my morning meal digest enough... but my instinct tells me it's stress and/or my chemistry being shitty. I view this as a multi year project to get to peak paddling strength so I want to do things sensibly. (I'm 57)  Do you have any recommended sources for diet and caloric schedule... and if you have any supplements you might like I'm open to ideas.  Everyone is different so I have no expectations of dramatic change... Love this sport! Cheers  :)
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:24:01 AM »
You might be overtraining - or at least, paddling too often. Try paddling less frequently, and do a bit of light cross-training on the off days. Listen to your body, and be kind to it. You'll probably find your enjoyment and performance increases if you go from paddling 4-5 days a week down to 3 days a week. You'll paddle fewer miles but put more into the miles you do do. Remember also that rest is as critical a part of training as the exercise itself, and mixing up your activities will help your body avoid staleness. Cycling and swimming are good low-impact complementary activities for SUP, I find.

When you look at the diaries of many (full-time) Olympic athletes, it's remarkable how few hours they actually spend training, and how much time they devote to rest. It's when we are resting that our bodies make us better, not when we are exercising. I think it's probably the most common error of the amateur athlete (especially the older one) to train too frequently.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
...I've had severe depression since I was 20 which is adrenal related so this post could be answering my own question ...

It seems you may have answered your own question Stefan.  For some of us, exercise is not enough, the body/mind needs a dose of healthy excitement to produce the right chemistry.  What has worked for you in the past?

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
...I've had severe depression since I was 20 which is adrenal related so this post could be answering my own question ...

It seems you may have answered your own question Stefan.  For some of us, exercise is not enough, the body/mind needs a dose of healthy excitement to produce the right chemistry.  What has worked for you in the past?

Thanks Bean and everyone, your responses mean a lot... being obsessive like I am I need perspective. Bean I do standup comedy as a side activity (no puns please lol) and it gives me an opportunity to socialize with a different crowd... it's pretty cathartic and therapeutic. The rest thing I totally get, I honestly don't think I'm over training (but I will pay more attention) because I don't go out and hammer, I am building myself up slowly so I keep my pace reasonable. That being said the current has been raging lately so... output is demanded at times. I am happy with my progress to date... balance and strength are significantly better. Aside from cycling etc. I plan to get a surf ski for crossover water training... I literally hate being indoors in gyms but I fully admit upping my home gym time might serve me better on the water. I just watched some kettle bell exercises that look pretty cool. You guys are awesome, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:20:55 PM by Stefan »
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
Just a thought. If you're dealing with current, maybe figure out a day a week or every other week, to set up a shuttle and just ride the current the whole way. Think of it as an easy day but you're still getting outside.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »
Quick update... A friend suggested supplementing B Complex and Magnesium and holy shit what a difference. Based on how my body responded I am thinking I was seriously vitamin deficient, B complex is the likely hero but from what I've read about magnesium helping mood,... that is also a possibility. Thank you for all the other tips, paddling is such great mental therapy it's hard for me to stay off the water.... even when I should rest.  :)
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »
Nice, you can also give yourself a physical break by simply using a lower volume paddle.

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »
Nice, you can also give yourself a physical break by simply using a lower volume paddle.

Already do that Bean, use a Trifecta 86 and it's a teddy bear on my shoulders.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
Quick update... A friend suggested supplementing B Complex and Magnesium and holy shit what a difference. Based on how my body responded I am thinking I was seriously vitamin deficient, B complex is the likely hero but from what I've read about magnesium helping mood,... that is also a possibility. Thank you for all the other tips, paddling is such great mental therapy it's hard for me to stay off the water.... even when I should rest.  :)

Interesting. As a member of the over fifty club, I will check this out. Everything that can help.....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »

Interesting. As a member of the over fifty club, I will check this out. Everything that can help.....

Excellent Luc ... I hope you have positive results. Start with B Complex for a week then add magnesium 1000 mg per day, that way you know if one or the other makes a bigger difference. Not directly related but another supplement that I highly recommend for over 50 y/o is Tumeric, a natural anti inflammatory. There are several formulas these days one of the best being "Zyflamend" by New Chapter. I've been taking it for 4 years and it's done more for my joint pain than anything I've ever tried. Cheers!
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal