Author Topic: Paddling in surf stance is messing up my body  (Read 9090 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddling in surf stance is messing up my body
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 04:20:28 AM »
Anyway, I think it has made my muscles pretty tight (short?) in some areas.
Have you experienced that also?
Trainer say anything about that?

You nailed it.  He said I'm tight and has me doing stuff to elongate my muscles.  So I do an unusual workout at the gym.   I'm doing weird rope pull things, the TRX machine and seemingly silly things with medicine balls and free weights.  Not the workout I expected, but it already seems to be working. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:26:07 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 06:48:56 AM »
Looks like you accidentally stumbled on an imbalance that could have hurt you in the long run.

Why do you paddle like that? 

When I'm board waiting for a set i sometimes put a foot back to the tail and do some balance training by paddling in circles. I try to switch feet to maximize the effect.

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Zoo said
"This situation could eventually lead to back and joint problems."
NOW you tell me  :)

Actually I probably balance pretty well.... but your thread will make me more conscious to balance my stance and stroke. Good post!

Me = regular foot
Surf = alternate, but stronger as left sided paddler in surf stance
Flat = alternate, but stronger as right sided paddler in parallel or modified parallel stance (feet slightly open)

Funny.... I took pictures of my stance on this morning's 2 hour paddle trip

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
Looks like you accidentally stumbled on an imbalance that could have hurt you in the long run.

Why do you paddle like that? 

When I'm board waiting for a set i sometimes put a foot back to the tail and do some balance training by paddling in circles. I try to switch feet to maximize the effect.

I paddle in semi-surf stance because the two main boards I ride are short and tippy.  Since I'm mostly facing the left of my board, it's clumsy for me to paddle on the opposite (right) side because it's a little behind me.  Now that I know about this, I may try to stand parallel, but that's a real challenge, especially on my 7'4. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:23:06 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
I think I get it. You ride way shorter boards than I do and I guess it's the fore aft unstableness that you're fighting.

Thanks for the reply and good luck getting you muscles balanced out.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Probably more a lack of balance skill than anything else. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I just got back from a week of SUP surf camp training and they convinced me to break my habit of paddling in a modified surf stance similar to Creek's photo. I am now a believer that the best paddling and balance comes from your feet being parallel about shoulder width apart. In addition, the best balance is to stand straight up with no bend in may knees.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Some of my back problems I had last year weren't really back problems....sacroiliac joint on my right was inflamed. PT said it was likely caused by my paddling 90% of the time on the right. I weight my right foot heavily. I've been very conscious since to be more balanced....I'm terrible on my left though so it going to be a struggle. Definitely important though both for health and technique. Wish I had gotten my Dad's ambidextrous gene..... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
I am now a believer that the best paddling and balance comes from your feet being parallel about shoulder width apart. In addition, the best balance is to stand straight up with no bend in may knees.

Thanks Tom
I have been flat water paddling my 8'10" Speeed every day for the past week in a modified surf stance. I was getting quite bent out of shape. I took your advice and paddled feet parallel and shoulder width apart today. Felt much better and very stable despite chop and 10-12 knots of wind. Looking forward to tying out in the surf in 10 days. Not sure when to switch to surf stance but likely just before catching the wave?

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
They taught a very specific way to switch to surf stance. Paddle in parallel stance until the wave is caught, which for me is a one stroke or more than what I'd usual do. You want to paddle in front of the wave,so the wave does not pick you up by the tail.

After you catch the wave, you first rotate your front foot on its heal until it is abeam of the board. You then step back with the rear foot while you are compressing your body keeping more weight on the front foot by holding the paddle with its blade forward if going backside and handle forward if going frontside.

These instructions came from a weeks stay at Nosara Paddlesurf camp in Costa Rica. After wave SUPing for 10 years, I learned a lot in one week there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:47:08 PM by Tom »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
Sounds like a blast Tom...jealous.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »
OK, Tom.  I'm going to try it. 

For the past several days, I have been going to the gym and working the other side of my body.  Especially concentrating on the vertical rope pulling machine which requires a motion that is similar a proper SUP stroke.  Also plan to go to the harbor on one of my smallest boards and paddle only with the right side.  Hope I can do it; 4 years on the left side might be a hard habit to break.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:26:58 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
I'm very unbalanced in a natural stance, a little gift from skateboard racing with my youngest daughter 30 years ago. It's hard on every bit of your body to fail to correct that. My left ankle, knee and hip are all screwed as a result. On the plus side, my right ankle, knee and hip are factory fresh.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »
I just got back from a week of SUP surf camp training and they convinced me to break my habit of paddling in a modified surf stance similar to Creek's photo. I am now a believer that the best paddling and balance comes from your feet being parallel about shoulder width apart. In addition, the best balance is to stand straight up with no bend in may knees.

I'm in agreement with you on this one. If I paddle with a modified stance, I can't paddle my 8'11" Hammer in a straight line when flat water cruising. I think other factors come into play too like length of board, width of board, bottom hull design, shape of tail, etc.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
After you catch the wave, you first rotate your front foot on its heal until it is abeam of the board. You then step back with the rear foot while you are compressing your body keeping more weight on the front foot by holding the paddle with its blade forward if going backside and handle forward if going frontside

Thanks Tom

Will give it a go next week.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal