Author Topic: THAT COSTCO BOARD BE MOVIN!  (Read 5972 times)

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
THAT COSTCO BOARD BE MOVIN!
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
 I'm paddling my new NSP DC 14 thinking I'm the man. I passed a few guys on their rental  SUPS and I'm feeling good. Then I see a guy in the distance that I'm having difficulty catching.  I paddled hard for about 15 minutes so that I could get closer to see what he's riding. As I get closer, I start to see what I believe is a Wavestorm. Could it be? No way!  My highly rated NSP DC 14 designed by a French speed guru and shaped by an Australian, is not blowing by a Wavestorm?  He's paddling strong but he's certainly not crouched forward in a racing stance. As I approach, I see he is one of these thin, wiry guys in his 20's.  What a difference it makes to be thin and young cuz this guy was moving. I'm 210 and 51 years old. HUMBLED INDEED.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:35:44 PM by LB Surper »
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: THAT COSTCO BOARD BE MOVIN!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Maybe the advantage he had was having one of those Wavestorm adjustable paddles that came with his board.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
thats funny  ;D

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
That reminds me of my first SUP downwind race. I was on the latest and greatest hollow carbon fiber C4 Waterman Vortice race model which I had only tried on flat water before the race.  I could not balance on it at all and probably fell in about 100 times.  Meanwhile a guy on a old beat up Surftech Soft Top beginner board kept cruising past me, that was frustrating.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
We started calling the Vortice, the Tortice. 

If you do the math, it takes about 15 minutes to catch a person in the far distance on a 12' when you are on a 14, with all other things being equal. You were on a faster board and paddling harder, he was lighter. It's about right. It takes a long time for things to happen in a slow race.

I bet when you finally got close to him that you seemed to be going faster than when you were far away. Our minds don't handle small relative velocities very well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
We had a guy do the 2nd CCBC on a 9-6 no-name board....he had crap hanging off his belt, PFD, a bota water bag (no camelback) all smacking him in the legs every stroke....the guy never faltered. He was a friggin machine the whole 36 miles. Never underestimate young and skinny.

Vortice....the Edsel of SUPs....except that's and insult to Edsels.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Maybe the advantage he had was having one of those Wavestorm adjustable paddles that came with his board.
I hadn't felt one of those Wave Storm Paddles until I found one last week on the beach when I finished my night paddle. Someone left it on the beach. I didn't see it in the dark and almost kicked it. Good thing I didn't, because it would have broken my toes for sure. Those shafts are a seriously thick piece of aluminum. We are talking pounds here, not ounces. I thought OMG, it's like paddling with a barbell. I'm pretty sure I could dig a hole with. Probably turned a bunch of people off of SUP just because their arms would be trashed after a short paddle.

There was a guy in the distance race in the BOP 5 or 6 years ago on a 10'ish SUP Love all arounder. The rocker was really flat, and the guy looked like a light weight MMA fighter. Bald and tatted from head to toe. He came off the shore mid race (wasn't in the race officially), and kept up with me on my unlimited for about 3 miles. The guy had zero body fat. I was impressed. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
Not as bad as when I first was practicing SUP in the harbor on my inflatable.  I was beginning to feel better about my balance and paddling.  A woman who looked like she was eight month pregnant wearing pregnancy clothes passed me on a SUP.  I was so mad, I felt like pushing her off her board.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:11 AM »
^^That violates one of my most important rules. Never assume a woman is pregnant unless you see a baby coming out of her. Dave Barry taught me that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
Not as bad as when I first was practicing SUP in the harbor on my inflatable.  I was beginning to feel better about my balance and paddling.  A woman who looked like she was eight month pregnant wearing pregnancy clothes passed me on a SUP.  I was so mad, I felt like pushing her off her board.
OK...that's bad.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:03:56 AM »
"I bet when you finally got close to him that you seemed to be going faster than when you were far away. Our minds don't handle small relative velocities very well."

So true. When I saw it was a Costco board, I paddled even harder to spare my ego. Once I caught him, it did seem faster than what I noticed from a distance.
Great song about the Rambler and the Cadillac - so appropriate. I passed on the morning donut this morning at work. No more struggling to catch the sponge boards by this summer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:11:54 AM by LB Surper »
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Naish Glide 14"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
OK...that's bad.... :)
No wonder she was faster--two against one.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
^^That violates one of my most important rules. Never assume a woman is pregnant unless you see a baby coming out of her. Dave Barry taught me that.
It works the other way, too.  Once or twice I beat a woman on my swim team in meets, but she was pregnant.  Otherwise I was never close.  Then at a meet a couple years later, I finally beat her again, and said, "Hey, I've never won against you before except when you've been pregnant."  She said, "Well, Mike, I've got some news for you..."

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
when my wife was about to give birth, the doctor told us to walk up and down the stairs at the hospital to speed things up. She is the queen of the Stair Master at the gym so it was easy for her; I was the one breathing heavily.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Naish Glide 14"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal