Author Topic: Tahoe zypher 14 cracks  (Read 2298 times)

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tahoe zypher 14 cracks
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
Hey guys I just picked up a used 14ft tahoe zypher. On the underside of the board I noticed a few surface spots that look like paint chips, I'd like to know if they need to be addressed before going on the water. Also where the bottom starts rolling into the side there is a pretty decent looking 2" crack (still just the surface layer), the original owner has epoxied the spot but it wasn't sanded down. I would like to repair it right before hitting the water sunday. I don't care about looks as much as functionality, looks can come later, I just want to get my new investment right and not screw it up with water damage or human error damage. Upon first googling i see alot abojt solarez, is that what i need to fix my issues.Thanks for any info.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tahoe zypher 14 cracks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
Hard to say without a picture, but sounds like you could just sand down the spot that's already epoxied.  Don't have anything against Solarez but don't use it--not that much more work to mix up and use the same stuff your board is made of.

As far as what looks like paint chips, my first test is just to press my lips around the spot and suck in.  If nothing happens, it's good.  If I taste resin/foam, then it needs a patch--if I taste saltwater, then I might have to look at a more extensive repair.

Even if it might require more of a repair, with small stuff I put a sticker over it and go paddle.  I usually don't fix every little ding right when it happens but wait until I have a bunch of them.  Google "Puka Patch" and get some.  Great little things that keep you from cutting short or missing a session.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply. If I do the suck test I should basically get no inhalation right? I'm looking for it to be a air tight seal still correct? Thanks for showing me the puka patch, I'll be ordering them asap. If they don't get here before Sunday can I just use clear packing tape for the one trip?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
Epoxy doesn't have much strength by itself. If you want to fix the board, spend a little time on the board lady site to see how to do a repair. It's not much harder to do it right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »

I'm trying to learn how to post pictures so I can show you guys the  racks but apparently I'm doing something wrong. I tried to link to a pic in my Google photos but it didn't work. I don't have any other picture upload services that I use so I'm not sure where to go from here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:30:38 AM by Jbrady5555 »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
I use Photobucket.com - free
Or www.tinypic.com is another free one.

They are pretty easy - have "upload" buttons - once uploaded, they can be copied to the posts and show up on the forum.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
The size restrictions per photo sometimes gets in the way.  A low-tech fix would be to email yourself the picture in medium or low resolution (below 1000KB).  Then, copy the lower res picture to your desktop.  Once you are back to posting on the Zone, click on the "attachments and other options" and browse to your newly created low res picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal