Author Topic: Who actually builds Sunovas, and why are they so amazingly good?  (Read 4461 times)

supthecreek

Who actually builds Sunovas, and why are they so amazingly good?
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
They are made by Unicorns  8)

Meet
Martin Jandke (nickname "Tino")
and
Bert Burger

They... and a bunch of very cool people, are Sunova.

Tino built "The Board Factory" in Bangkok Thailand, after a long stint in the Cobra Factory as a unit supervisor.
Bert Burger has owned Sunova Surfboards since 1976... and created "Firewire" along the way (yes...the "Firewire" now owned by Kelly Slater)

Tino and Bert live full time, with their families, in Thailand.
They and their families, run the daily business of building Sunova boards... full time, hands on..

They work and play, hand in hand with the employees of the factory.... everyday.
Factory family outings are a way of life at Sunova. (pics)

The boards they produce are incredibly well made because ALL people building them are a team.
They live and play together.

Sunova is a 1st class operation, producing boards of truly consistent and amazing quality, because of the people who make them.

Here are shots of Tino and Bert living and working alongside "The Board Factory" employees.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually builds Sunovas, and why are they so amazingly good?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
@supthecreek

If I recall from reading your comments, you once said you were a Sunova pimp. If that is true, then you certainly are and I hope you take this comment towards you as a highly regarded compliment. It's always nice to see a person who loves a company's sups as much as you do and gets tons of satisfaction (and love) from riding all the different models of Sunova sups you get to ride.

Keep on doing what you're doing because I always enjoy reading your comments, seeing your photos and especially watching your videos.  8)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »
Noche.. Too bad you're not out East. Creek (Rick Weeks) is the kinda guy you not only want to surf with, add burgers/beer after. (Passing thru he pity'ed me however; saying he'd move if he was here because of our C'hit-for-waves)   He's got a helluva deeper resume than we see here.

There's a couple of points about SUNNOVA that stand out for me.  I never heard of Bert Burger. I have heard of Firewire (Sweet Potato!), but it wasn't until I saw Bert's videos that I felt like I had actual insight into why a shape was something beyond: Cruise - All-around - Surf.  I want to know WHY: my new board should not have nearly the same rocker, outline, concaves and construction as almost every other brand ..Made in China.  Sure, I knew some basics reading other postings here and web sites with their pie charts.  ..and I really like Robert Stehlik's friendly pitch and willingness to guide us but the 'who' about his boards is missing? 

Forget those Windsurf Gods who basically appear as frequently as the Pope in China; "Just pay up and praise us ..and envy our paid presenters."  Until Sunnova, Infinity and L41 seemed to be the American ideal for me but too high performance for my limited skills.

Bert and Tino are clearly 'real' people ..on top of actually running their own fricking factory!* Buying from Bert and Tino gives me a sense of investment. Knowledge is participation; knowing about the channels in the SPEEED or the outline and rails means I get a say beyond: "This is the right size for your Visa card - Shlub."   After going thru a batch of other boards, Sunnova appeared at just the right time for me. Thanks guys.  ...keep up the action Creek.

Jim

*thinking about that.. I realize there are people who probably don't own a wrench (my grandson..) or have any interest in the complexity of supply chains, materials, labor, marketing, etc. Picking a board may be like selecting an airline to Europe.  I've written paychecks (not many) for nearly four decades.  I can tell you: Bert and Tino are doing it the hard way. That should mean a lot to everybody.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
I'd never heard of Sunova before buying my Speeed, it was the passionate riders and Brand that drew me in.
The board and the Brand and the passionate riders make me feel part of a family, maybe part of Bert and Tinos extended family, for sure I know if I bumped into him or STC or the many other Sunova riders who I've had the pleasure to surf with we do feel part of something very very good indeed.

Thanks guys, it's really appreciated.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
Bert and Tino are of cource what makes Sunova great, but you also have to include the balsa construction. Every board I've ridden since seem dull, slow and lifeless.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
Bert and Tino are of cource what makes Sunova great, but you also have to include the balsa construction. Every board I've ridden since seem dull, slow and lifeless.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
You could say that two times! ;D

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal