Author Topic: Is it me?  (Read 8035 times)

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is it me?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
It's my first season so I don't know a good winter season from bad but I thought it's been pretty good Dec - Feb. I'm at the shores a few times a week. Are you in the line up w/ everyone or off to the side w/ the rest of the paddlers? I've been told I need to check out other spots such as SanO and Cardiff as they don't really compare to South Mission & La Jolla Shores. I did try to paddle out my smaller board last Sunday but was having problems so I didn't stay out long. Water is getting a little colder but hopefully we get better conditions soon.

Stoneaxe - Your health is more important & hope you get some good conditions soon.

Tourmaline and La Jolla Shores.  Two years ago, they were both fine.  Last year and this year especially not so good, in fact, garbage most of the time.  I just can't figure out how to surf it.  OTOH, some of the local SUP guys seem to have no such problems and actually say the surf has been pretty awesome.  Well, if that's the case, they never better visit RI when it's good, 'cause it'd probably cause em to suffer an instant embolism from the shock of seeing what "pretty awesome" really is and can be.

Man, do I sound angry and bitter or what?
[/quote]

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
  Nate: I sort of float around with the rest of the paddlers but if the lefts are working better where the longboarders are, I'll slide in there too.
  My main and only problem with T and LaJ is they're exactly the kind of waves I can't surf worth a hoot.  Beach breaky, cross currents, rips, morning sickness, sectiony, close-outy, bumpy to ride, and so forth.  My complaints never cease and often leave me out of breath.  In RI, I can hold my own with most of the others.  In CA, I'm absolutely the worst guy in the water, day after day after goddamn day.  If you want to find me in the lineup, look for the sole SUPer who can barely stand to his feet and rarely catches a wave.  That's me.
   It's enough to make me weep.
  And to use words like 'me' and 'weep' too close together.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
Man, do I sound angry and bitter or what?
Trump effect!..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »
The problems up north in Santa Cruz are relentless storms with seldom organized waves, a lot of chaos, rip and washboard, short period churn with limited opportunities. There have been some good days, but not when I have been there, but they have been few.

November was great, then stuff just fell apart and haven't quite come back yet.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Ha Trump effect! Linter, have you tried switching up your boards & going wider than what your used to and how often are you out there? It shouldn't be too hard for you if your ripping it up in great conditions. Guess it is hit or miss but if you paddle out just right of the shores to Scripps on good days & get in at 6:00am, you catch some GREAT surf w/ long rides before the mob gets there.  I go 6:00-9am before it gets too windy & choppy. C ya out there.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »

ok ok ok...I do have some good news.

I injured myself sup surfing in six foot surf on June 1 2016.  Basically pile drove my left shoulder into my 9'5" Speeed board on a ten foot face wave when I landed at the bottom.  I've been surfing forever and it was a weird accident.  Many frustrating phone calls and doctors visits later I finally got an MRI and as I suspected, it was a very large tear needing full rotator cuff surgery.  The surgery was Sept 15th 2016.  Obviously I have not been supping or even in the water in close to ten months.  This was difficult as I'm 60, retired, in good shape, live close to the ocean and could sup surf whenever I wanted to...often up to four timers a week.

Many Physical Therapy visits under my belt and my own strengthening program the Doctor gave me the green light (yesterday) to start back up with paddling.  Basically 5 1/2 months after surgery. 

Here's the good part...today was the first time paddle surfing since June 1st.  I went out slow on my knees and got to my feet on the outside.  The waves were small 1 to 3 feet but glassy.  Do I have to tell you how stoked I was just to be in the water, paddling around?  The catching of waves was just the icing on the cake!  I felt lie a kid!  I'm weak paddling right now and only managed to catch about five waves but I can tell my strength will come back and how grateful I am to be back in the water.

What am I saying?  Plain and simple, " We should all be thankful we can paddle out in the water."  It truly is a gift just to be able to stand up paddle! 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »
Yowsa, Lopezwill, glad you are back into it. I am indeed grateful just to be out there when I am.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
I sanO back open? Or is it just the long hike from the upper lot. Maybe I need to get a mule.
I don't know. It was opened for a few days, but then I heard it closed again. I'll have to drive down there and check it out. I heard one of the footings on the palapa at Old Mans was half hanging off the beach drop-off. Maybe SanoSup or StandingDan have been there recently and know?   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »

Stoneaxe..

I did not want you to think my post was directed to you.

I know you have gone through and continue to go through balance issues that must cause you much frustration.

In my haste to post about my stoke of just being able to sup on the water...It may have sounded insensitive.  I'm sorry.

I really enjoy your posts and experience you bring to the forum.  Hope you can get out on the water soon.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Ha Trump effect! Linter, have you tried switching up your boards & going wider than what your used to and how often are you out there? It shouldn't be too hard for you if your ripping it up in great conditions. Guess it is hit or miss but if you paddle out just right of the shores to Scripps on good days & get in at 6:00am, you catch some GREAT surf w/ long rides before the mob gets there.  I go 6:00-9am before it gets too windy & choppy. C ya out there.

well i'm sure you've seen me in the line up, since dawn patrol is all i do.  i've got the biggest sup in the water, too.  i ain't the board.  it's the rider.  and the stinking surf.

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
lopezwill, that's frickin' awesome! So stoked to hear you are back in the water!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »

Stoneaxe..

I did not want you to think my post was directed to you.

I know you have gone through and continue to go through balance issues that must cause you much frustration.

In my haste to post about my stoke of just being able to sup on the water...It may have sounded insensitive.  I'm sorry.

I really enjoy your posts and experience you bring to the forum.  Hope you can get out on the water soon.

No worries my friend...I'm stoked for you. I relate all too well  and understand completely how it feels getting back on the water after a long break. Reading your post had me remembering my 1st time out after my last forced break...my 1st fall into cold water...as it was seeping into my suit it chilled my skin but warmed my soul. Have a blast...I'll be getting wet shortly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:35:37 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »

Great!  Come back and report on the session  ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
Less than ten good days here on Maui as well.  Fortunately we make lemonade out of the wind.  Today the downwinder on the south side was like riding Waikiki.  Last mile I never broke glide.  Had to paddle some but never fell out of the glide.  I'm stoked because I had my worst run ever on Tuesday.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
Lopezwill, Great news my friend. Slow and steady. Do the shoulder exercises for ever!! Aloha bruddah!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal