Author Topic: Rise of the unlimited SUP division (at least in Australia)  (Read 1430 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rise of the unlimited SUP division (at least in Australia)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
I'm guessing it wasn't his intent (he seems to be as nice of a guy as there is), but Jimmy was harsher toward SIC than needed in that article.

they still don’t have a competitive 14’ ocean board

lack of competition allowed SIC to have a strangle hold on the unlimited board market even though the design of their boards weren’t necessarily ground breaking

Basically SIC unlimited boards are designed solely for those 20 knot plus conditions and they have given unlimited boards a bad reputation for only working if its nuking.

Whether you agree with him or not, it didn't need to be said to support the rise of unlimiteds and promote the offerings of his new team and shaper.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the unlimited SUP division (at least in Australia)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
"When its windy it is extremely hard to stay anywhere near them but as soon as it drops below that 20 knot threshold I will be able to put a gap on them. Basically SIC unlimited boards are designed solely for those 20 knot plus conditions and they have given unlimited boards a bad reputation for only working if its nuking."

In 20 kts DW the SIC 17.4 starts to really get going.  Even at around 15 kts though that board goes ok around here.  You have to push real hard as an average joe to keep up on a 14 vs the F16 or 17.4 Bullet.  Those boards just catch more glides with less effort.  On flat and upwind though -> both the 16 and 17.4 are slugs.

"2017 is really looking like an exciting year for the development of unlimited boards and I for one am excited to be working with Sunova and Marcus Tardrew to develop the best unlimited board for all conditions."

Has a point there.  The 17.4 is a very wide stable board at 26.6 that can be narrowed down.  24.5 OEM for an UL should be ok for stability and have quite a bit lower drag.  SIC should consider this option to have a UL board that remains competitive in all conditions.  Good to see many other brands coming out with UL boards.  Was about time.  But for me the 17.4 is still da bomb.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal