Author Topic: Infinity Whiplash & Blackfish LTD version  (Read 34894 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infinity Whiplash & Blackfish LTD version
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
Thanks guys...are they consistent with tail width or bounce around based on what kind of stability the riders looking for in a given overall board width? How does the tail release feel? Obviously the design works very well.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »
Thanks guys...are they consistent with tail width or bounce around based on what kind of stability the riders looking for in a given overall board width? How does the tail release feel? Obviously the design works very well.

It would be difficult to know as most of the previous production was "custom" made in USA.
My general understanding is that for the same model, the tail has become narrower every year as the concave shape changed and the release also improved allowing for a straighter tail versus the crescent moon on the 2015 models.
Burchas 2017 14x24 tail is 13", mine 2015 14x24 tail is 15" that said both are custom models but not sure to what extend.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
You ridden both?

I've never been on a Blackfish (or handled one). I understood Pono's comment was due to the Blackfish very parallel outline that it's not so turny on a DW. Which is same same feeling I get on a Naish Maliko which has awesome stability for it's width and is a great allround board but is more of  pivot off the tail kind of turner on DWs rather than carving up killer turns.

So what are the differences in rocker and rails? And difference in ride if you know both?

I haven't ridden the Maliko but I've handled it thoroughly. I believe Pono's
Blackfish is a 2015. The 2017 is quite different. Less nose rocker different bottom. Dave added some rounded section in the front with more rounded
rails which become much sharper beyond the rounded section.

The Maliko has more rounded rails, especially in the front section.
as for the the rocker, here is an image to show the differences.

I didn't have much issues with turning my Blackfish. My fin position is
16" from the tail and with the right fin I never noticed an issue, but then
again, I don't have much experience downwinding in conditions like Pono's
or at all for that matter so I can't really compare.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:36:14 PM by burchas »
in progress...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »
I've had a few Blackfish models over the past couple of years (along with the Whiplash models). Currently I have one of the 2016 LTD Blackfish boards, 14' x 24". The tail on this board is 13" wide and as others have commented, Dave has pulled the tail in since the first Blackfish design. It also has less of a "crescent moon" shape (see pic below). The tail has also been flattened a bit. Earlier designs had more of a ramp/hump right at the end but the new models are much more consistent with the rest of the deck, as can be seen in the mockup that burchas posted.

I have paddled a Blackfish (this one and older ones) on a handful of downwind runs in California and a couple here in New England so we're not comparing apples to apples when talking about a downwind design that is best suited for the islands or places where you have true, consistent downwind runs. I've had a blast on it downwind and usually run a single fin although Dave frequently uses 2+1 fin setups in open ocean but he's always experimenting and trying out different combos - one of the reasons I love Infinity - he doesn't settle and actually paddles the boards he designs.

The 2017 Blackfish model has been refined and tweaked even more and I can't wait to get one of the new designs. Dave's creative mind has made the Blackfish evolve into a board that is moving towards something that excels and works in almost all conditions, flat water included. Dave finished 3rd on his 2017 Blackfish in the recent Hano Hano race in San Diego, 10 seconds behind 1st place Danny Ching and 3 seconds behind 2nd place Chase Kosterlitz. This is an entirely flat water race in Mission Bay. They're fun as hell to surf too.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
The 2017 Blackfish model has been refined and tweaked even more and I can't wait to get one of the new designs. Dave's creative mind has made the Blackfish evolve into a board that is moving towards something that excels and works in almost all conditions, flat water included. Dave finished 3rd on his 2017 Blackfish in the recent Hano Hano race in San Diego, 10 seconds behind 1st place Danny Ching and 3 seconds behind 2nd place Chase Kosterlitz. This is an entirely flat water race in Mission Bay. They're fun as hell to surf too.

I really, really like the pictures I have seen of the 2017 Blackfish.
The small refinement on the 2016 were nice, but if I had some money I would likely upgrade my two 2015 for a new 2017 14x25.

Blackfish Paddles

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
I really, really like the pictures I have seen of the 2017 Blackfish.
The small refinement on the 2016 were nice, but if I had some money I would likely upgrade my two 2015 for a new 2017 14x25.

I agree. I think the 2017 design is the sexiest of the Blackfish yet. Something about it that just looks right yet still so different.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm happy with my 2016 boards and it would be nice to see and test the 2017 boards.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:31 AM »
The Blackfish looks really nice.

I get the feeling one gets more up to date info here than on Infinity web site. Is this a "need to know" kind of basis operation? OK for custom walk-in customers but no so confidence inspiring for more distant prospects.

What are 2017 14' Blackfish specs?

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »

I get the feeling one gets more up to date info here than on Infinity web site. Is this a "need to know" kind of basis operation? OK for custom walk-in customers but no so confidence inspiring for more distant prospects.

Infinity is a small, family-run operation. I hear what you're saying but they have their current, up to date catalog available when you go to www.infinity-sup.com. Dave & Justin and anyone else at the shop is more than happy to talk shapes, dimensions, etc. Just drop them an email, hit them up on Facebook or give the shop a call. They are very reachable.

I've added a pic below of the 2017 Blackfish production dimensions. Keep in mind that you can also get a custom board with any dimensions that you'd like.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »

Few discussions like this directly on their Face Book page.
https://www.facebook.com/InfinitySUP/photos/a.304408852921346.85812.301593443202887/1449537905075096/?type=3&theater

Infinity is very approachable and yes they are a small outfit at the opposite of Starboard. Dave Boehne has often taken the time to directly answer my emails and questions and I am a normal Joe out of Canada not a SoCal board-head. I think that this year they are expanding their distribution network and with the new line be made overseas are better able to expand.
Blackfish Paddles

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
For the weight conscious both board with fin:

14 × 25 whiplash = 9.5kg (20.9lb)
14 x 26 blackfish = 10.4kg (22.9lb)

My 14x24 Whiplash is 26 lbs. Bit disappointing, I wonder why the imports are so much lighter.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »
For the weight conscious both board with fin:

14 × 25 whiplash = 9.5kg (20.9lb)
14 x 26 blackfish = 10.4kg (22.9lb)

My 14x24 Whiplash is 26 lbs. Bit disappointing, I wonder why the imports are so much lighter.

I think that there was some information around that the "Limited" a.k.a. made overseas were sometime lighter than the construction in the USA (might be from Kayyadog in this forum).
My 2015 boards are also heavier than the new ones (Blackfish 26 is 26 lbs. and 24" is 24 lbs.) but they are very tough and the construction gives confidence that they will last with minimum repairs. You might console yourself thinking that the little bit of extra weight helps the board keep some momentum and glide once in gear.....
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
not sure why my production board is lighter than customer board and it could be the material and build stage process, who knows?

one advantage of my lightweight whiplash is lifting and carrying to transport and it feels light on the glide. But I do feel more of the bumbs/chops/wake conditions and this probably the board weight/width/design of the board combine with my weight. On flat to calm days its a pleasure. I'm looking forward to experement with LA standard fins, probox & the ventral fins oneday with my whiplash.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
  Ive only used the twin/ventral combo so far. I might put a standard fin in it just to see what type of differences I can discern.`If it's less stable as a single then I'll rule out ever using one fin on that board. It is very twitchy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal